PS2 mouse not recognized

Old June 24th 03, 04:22 PM
JMMach

Default PS2 mouse not recognized

I have a Celeron System with a SOYO SY-6BA-III motherboard.
We have a mouse on one of the COM ports, and it works fine, but when we plug
a mouse into the PS2 port, it is not recognized at all.
I'm a bit stumped. What do I need to change to have the PS2 mouse port work?
Is there some setting in the BIOS? Is there some motherboard drivers that
need to be installed or enabled?
Thanks in advance.
--
TTFN
JMMach

Old June 24th 03, 06:41 PM
JMMach

The PS2 mouse has a PS2 connector on it; it is not plugged in through an
adapter.
I'm talking about two separate mice: one with a COM connector, and one with
a PS2 connector.
Thanks again.
--
TTFN
JMMach

"rcm711" wrote in message
a...
Are you plugging a real PS/2 mouse (it will say so on the bottom of the
mouse sometimes) or are you using a PS/2 to serial adapter? PS/2 mouse
adapters do not work unless the mouse is a dual mouse and has the
electronics to support both. Most mice today do not have this feature.
Older mice would write on the button serial mouse, PS/2 mouse or PS/2

Serial
mouse. Today you have to go by the connector on the end. Almost all mice
today are not dual mice with serial/PS2 options.. There is one exception,
dual mice exist for USB PS/2 and have the PS/2 to USB adapter.

Older motherboards like socket 7 ones had an option for enabling the mouse
in the BIOS. Since you have a Celeron system, it is unlikely you have

that,
the mouse is always on.

Old June 25th 03, 02:46 AM
rcm711

Possibly stupid suggestions to try:

1) Are you sure the PS/2 mouse works. Did you test it on another PC?
2) Try another working PS/2 mouse on the PC
3) Check the BIOS for PS/2 Port enable option.
4) Delete the serial mouse from your System Properties in Windows safe mode,
shutdown, power off, reconnect the PS/2 mouse and see if it detects. Use
safe mode because if you delete the Serial mouse in normal operation, it
sometimes kills your mouse and you have to shutdown by keyboard commands.
5) What brand PS/2 mouse? I have trouble with older Logitech mice sometimes
being detected.

Old June 28th 03, 03:35 AM
JosephNicol

Hey,
I read ur email I got a suggestion for you to try!!! Try uninstalling the
software and reinstalling it see if that works
one more thing check and see if you have the mouse connected in the right
area if not! I guess you'll have to buy a
new mouse!!

~ joseph

a...