bios 1017 slows P4C800 delx

Old August 26th 04, 06:17 AM
Dieter Eckstein

Default bios 1017 slows P4C800 delx

hi
after flashing to bios version 1017 booting is very slow.
who knows the problem and can help ?
thanks
dieter

Old August 26th 04, 06:31 AM
Alex

I have the same thing Dieter,

I posted a few weeks ago, but it seems to be a new "feature" of the Bios.
maybe related to detection of the 400Gb Hitatchi Hard disk.

No ammount of fiddling with bios settings could speed up the Delay after the
RAM check and before the Disk Drives are listed, so i made a fancy Logo and
now watch that instead.

Old August 26th 04, 06:34 AM
Alex

My thread was dated 14 August 2004

"new P4C800ED bios 1017 seems slow at POST"

Old August 26th 04, 06:43 AM
Dieter Eckstein

Hi Alex
I do not have the HITACHI HD and have the same effect as You have.
When flashing to BIOS version 1017beta or 1016 everything is "normal"
dieter

Old August 27th 04, 03:19 AM
Dieter Eckstein

hi kda
thank you for the detailed information
dieter

"kda" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

One of the things fixed by BIOS 1017 is that when you change drives in
a swap tray (for rotating backups to various drives in an set of swap
trays), or when you connect SCSI HDs during boot so you can do a DOS
based backup to it ... the new BIOS no longer arbitrarily changes the
order of boot drives.

For some of us, that was quite a problem since occasionally, the BIOS
would decide the new HD should be the "boot drive" and then, since the
swap drive was in reality only a backup HD ... the boot would fail.
Then we would have to go back into BIOS and reset the boot order ...
it was a mess and really needed to be fixed.

Maybe the somewhat longer boot time we are noticing is caused by the
need for the BIOS to accurately sort out the drive array (that is
where mine now pauses) that is connected and not arbitrarily change
things around where the new drive becomes the new "boot" drive.

Just a guess, but judging from where my BIOS pause occurs, it makes
some sense.

I have also found that if I have a Fire Wire cable plugged into the MB
but no device (like my camera) attached to the other end of the Fire
Wire cable ... boot time is MUCH longer.

I have also found that if I have my Sony Memory Stick Flash card in
the USB flash card reader when I boot ... boot time takes almost
forever (not a problem with CF, SD or other cards). Yet, after the
boot, the Sony Mem Stick card and reader slot work just fine.

So go figure.

kda