Deleting Files On CD-RW Problems

Old January 22nd 05, 02:55 AM
mike

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:17:12 GMT, Larc
wrote:

wrote:

| I'm new to this and am having a problem with screwing up my CDs after
| deleting files from them.
|
| I'm using Nero Express with Win 98SE. After using the Delete function in
| the Nero Menu, it leads me to the 'burn' menu. After using the 'burn'
| choice to delete a file, I later find the disc is not readable under
| Nero, but that I have to go into Windows Exploring to add more files or
| to even see what is on the disc. This has happened a number of times.
| Yeah, I know, color me stupid.
|
| What ain't I understanding? Am I not supposed to 'burn' the file to be
| deleted after reaching that menu in Nero Express?
|
| I am not using packet-wrting nor formatting with InCD.
|
| I should have added that I am burning data discs, nothing else.

I'm using Nero, not Nero Express, so setup may not be the same.

If you want to erase everything from a CD-RW, you should look under
Recorder in the Nero tool bar and select "Erase Rewritable Disc..."
The only way you could actually delete selected files from a CD-RW
would be if you had formatted it for packet writing.

Larc

BINGO!

So why did not the instructions - or the program, tell me this when I
deleted those non-packet written files?

So, I guess I will have to leave any undesired files written to the CD
on there in the future, or erase the whole shebang.

Thanks immensely.

I've not used express, but regular nero lets you "logically" delete
files on a multisession disk. They're still there, but they disappear
from the directory.
mike
--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

Old January 22nd 05, 06:01 AM
mike

wrote:

| I'm new to this and am having a problem with screwing up my CDs after
| deleting files from them.
|
| I'm using Nero Express with Win 98SE. After using the Delete function in
| the Nero Menu, it leads me to the 'burn' menu. After using the 'burn'
| choice to delete a file, I later find the disc is not readable under
| Nero, but that I have to go into Windows Exploring to add more files or
| to even see what is on the disc. This has happened a number of times.
| Yeah, I know, color me stupid.
|
| What ain't I understanding? Am I not supposed to 'burn' the file to be
| deleted after reaching that menu in Nero Express?
|
| I am not using packet-wrting nor formatting with InCD.
|
| I should have added that I am burning data discs, nothing else.

I'm using Nero, not Nero Express, so setup may not be the same.

If you want to erase everything from a CD-RW, you should look under
Recorder in the Nero tool bar and select "Erase Rewritable Disc..."
The only way you could actually delete selected files from a CD-RW
would be if you had formatted it for packet writing.

Larc

BINGO!

So why did not the instructions - or the program, tell me this when I
deleted those non-packet written files?

So, I guess I will have to leave any undesired files written to the CD
on there in the future, or erase the whole shebang.

Thanks immensely.

I've not used express, but regular nero lets you "logically" delete
files on a multisession disk. They're still there, but they disappear

from the directory.

mike

Thanks for one more piece of the puzzle.

I am aware that files on HDs are not "deleted" but merely removed from
the FAT file. That's why I use an 'eraser' program.

I'll have to look and see what else the full Nero version does. It might
be worth the money - once I learn what they hey I'm doing with Nero Jr.,
that is. : )

AFIK There's only one instance of Nero Software. If you have an oem
license key for the same major version number, you can use it to
transform express into the real thing.
mike