Help - A7M266 and Athlon XP 2100 problem

Old July 23rd 03, 01:48 AM
James

Default Help - A7M266 and Athlon XP 2100 problem

Hi Guys.

I downloaded bios 1007, and I just bought an athlon XP 2100 (i think
its Thoroughbred version), i had a 1400 before which worked fine and
simply changed the chips over. Unfortunately, the system doesnt even
show the bios anymore with the 2100 inside. It doesnt boot at all to
anything, just shows blank screen.

1. What can I do? I thought the 2100 XP works with this motherboard.
Can i still make it work by doing something to the voltage/jumpers.
Anything to just get back in my machine will help me much.

2. Also, the company i bought will not change it to palomino. Should i
get a refund and buy a better chip? What is the best chip I can buy
for this motherboard, without the risk of it not working? p.s i dont
really like to move jumpers etc. unless i have to. I prefer the easy
life

Thanks
Old July 23rd 03, 03:28 AM
R_Supp

"James" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Put your 1400 chip back in to the mobo and see if everything works.
You say you have downloaded bios 1007 but did you install it at some point ?

Old July 23rd 03, 03:57 AM
Hawkeye

Get your money back and put the old cpu back in. You need the
palomino 2100 and they aren't available unless you find one hiding in
the shadows somewhere.

ASUS P4T533 mobo
Intel P4 2.8 GHz 533MHz
ASUS V8460 Ultra GeForce 4 Ti 4600
1024 Samsung 32-Bit RIMM 4200 1066MHz RAMBUS
RD1-8X Bios Savior
Enermax EG465P-VE FMA 430W PSU
Creative Labs Audigy 2
Sony DRU-500AX DVD+-RW
TDK VeloCD 48X16X48X CD-RW
TOSHIBA SD-M1612 DVD
Seagate 80GB 7200RPM
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM
WD 60GB 5400RPM
WD 40GB 5400RPM
Promise ULTRA 133 TX2 Controller
Dlink DFE530TX+ PCI nic
Motorola Surfboard SB3100 cable modem
Linksys BEFSR41 router
Windows XP Home SP1
Direct X 9.0
Old July 24th 03, 12:22 AM
Milleron

On 22 Jul 2003 17:48:19 -0700, (James) wrote:

[...]

You might be able to get the T'bred to work. Search this forum for
other threads on the A7M266. In one of them, links have been posted
within the last few days to an online discussion board with an
extremely lengthy thread discussing the hardware mods you have to go
through to get T'bred-core CPUs to work. It can be done, but if you
don't even like to move jumpers, then you are not going to like the
mods you find there. However, if you go to the trouble of performing
the mods, you'd probably be better off with a 2600+ CPU or even a
133-FSB Barton

Your last question: The "best" chip you can buy for the A7M266
"without the risk of it not working" [without modification of board or
CPU] is a Palomino-core (Model 6) Athlon XP 2100+. As Hawkeye said,
you can't find them, at least not at online retailers, any longer, but
you just might find one on eBay. The trouble with that solution is
that you have to take the seller's word that it's truly a Palomino.
Most sellers won't even tell you which they think it is.

I upgraded this A7M266 from a 1.33 T'bird to a Palomino 2100+ just
before the latter vanished from the marketplace. It works so well
that I can't find an excuse to build a newer computer :-(

Ron
Ron
Old July 24th 03, 03:41 AM
Hawkeye

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:22:56 GMT, Milleron
wrote:

I upgraded this A7M266 from a 1.33 T'bird to a Palomino 2100+ just
before the latter vanished from the marketplace. It works so well
that I can't find an excuse to build a newer computer :-(

Ron
Ron

I built 2 A7M266's myself with 1.3 and 1.4 and also upgraded them
both to the 2100+ just before they disappeared. Both still going
strong.

Old July 24th 03, 04:33 AM
Tip

wrote:

I upgraded this A7M266 from a 1.33 T'bird to a Palomino 2100+ just
before the latter vanished from the marketplace. It works so well
that I can't find an excuse to build a newer computer :-(

Ron
Ron

I built 2 A7M266's myself with 1.3 and 1.4 and also upgraded them
both to the 2100+ just before they disappeared. Both still going
strong.

I also have two, one with a 1.33 and the one I use 2100+ both bought long
ago and both working great. No plans for about another year for the next
upgrade.

Tip

www.gotips.net
New gaming site, check it out at: