Tower on carpet?

Old January 2nd 04, 08:01 AM
OodlesOFun

Default Tower on carpet?

Would putting a pc tower directly on a carpeted floor cause any problems
with regards to electrostatic discharges? Should I buy a piece of laminated
wood and just stick it under the computer just to be safe?

Old January 2nd 04, 09:17 AM
Robert Marshall

Well, I've had my computer on a 1940s vintage wool carpet for over 5
years and have never had a problem. Not to mention that the company I
worked with for over 7 years had them sitting directly on the synthetic
carpeting in the office building!

Robert

-----------------

Old January 2nd 04, 11:57 AM
trappeduser

"OodlesOFun" wrote in message
Would putting a pc tower directly on a carpeted floor cause any problems
with regards to electrostatic discharges? Should I buy a piece of

laminated
wood and just stick it under the computer just to be safe?

Not at all, putting a pc on carpet will not cause any problems.
I've had my pc tower on carpet for years without a problem,
there is no need to worry.

Matt (UK)

Old January 2nd 04, 03:15 PM
iTsMeMa

In placing a carpet on rug my only concern would be pile depth of carpet.
You do not want to restrict air intake, effectively choking your tower.

Regards,

Garry

Old January 2nd 04, 03:16 PM
Bob Day

"OodlesOFun" wrote in message
Would putting a pc tower directly on a carpeted floor cause any problems
with regards to electrostatic discharges? Should I buy a piece of

laminated
wood and just stick it under the computer just to be safe?

Make sure that no air intakes on the underside of
the computer are blocked.

-- Bob Day

Old January 2nd 04, 03:41 PM
Christopher

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 07:01:50 GMT, "OodlesOFun"
wrote:

Would putting a pc tower directly on a carpeted floor cause any problems
with regards to electrostatic discharges? Should I buy a piece of laminated
wood and just stick it under the computer just to be safe?

They come with small legs to lift them off the carpet.

Christopher

Old January 3rd 04, 01:02 AM
Strontium

-
DaveW stood up at show-n-tell, in d_mJb.262405$_M.1223616@attbi_s54, and
said:

Do NOT set the computer directly on a carpeted floor. Static
discharges.

To the metal case.

"OodlesOFun" wrote in message
Would putting a pc tower directly on a carpeted floor cause any
problems with regards to electrostatic discharges? Should I buy a
piece of laminated wood and just stick it under the computer just to
be safe?

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old January 3rd 04, 07:37 AM
Matt

-
said:

Do NOT set the computer directly on a carpeted floor. Static
discharges.

To the metal case.

"OodlesOFun" wrote in message
. ..

Would putting a pc tower directly on a carpeted floor cause any
problems with regards to electrostatic discharges? Should I buy a
piece of laminated wood and just stick it under the computer just to
be safe?

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

The 'W' stands for 'Wrong'.

Old January 3rd 04, 05:28 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

Would putting a pc tower directly on a carpeted floor cause any problems
with regards to electrostatic discharges? Should I buy a piece of laminated
wood and just stick it under the computer just to be safe?

No. But lifting it off the floor a few inches will help reduce the
dust intake, and possibly better cooling. A metal chair or
anti-static chair pad will help dissipate the shocks. On dry winter
days, it helps to spray a little water on your clothing to stop static
shocks.