Good PSUs?

Old September 26th 03, 02:06 PM
Zilog Jones

Default Good PSUs?

I'm looking for a new PSU for a friend. He owns a (probably socket
370) Pentium III with a couple of hard disks, so it won't need to be
that high-rated but I don't want something too crappy and cheap. I've
searched a few places and have come up with this selection (by the way
I live in Ireland, so please no links to US/UK stores):

Q-Tec 400W Dual Fan........... 33 Euro
Chieftec PSU ATX 360W......... 55 Euro
Enermax PSU ATX 350W ......... 62 Euro

Mmmm, don't really have much of a choice unless I get some unbranded
crap. What would be the best of these three? What companies can I
trust?

And they will work with any ATX motherboard, won't they?

Thanks for any help

--
Zilog Jones
Old September 26th 03, 04:47 PM
kony

On 26 Sep 2003 06:06:03 -0700,
(Zilog Jones) wrote:

I'm looking for a new PSU for a friend. He owns a (probably socket
370) Pentium III with a couple of hard disks, so it won't need to be
that high-rated but I don't want something too crappy and cheap. I've
searched a few places and have come up with this selection (by the way
I live in Ireland, so please no links to US/UK stores):

Q-Tec 400W Dual Fan........... 33 Euro
Chieftec PSU ATX 360W......... 55 Euro
Enermax PSU ATX 350W ......... 62 Euro

Mmmm, don't really have much of a choice unless I get some unbranded
crap. What would be the best of these three? What companies can I
trust?

And they will work with any ATX motherboard, won't they?

They will work with standadr ATX motherboard.

The Q-Tec make is (sometimes) a well dressed, pretty power supply, but
always junk. Even their 550W model is poor compared to name-brand
300W.

The Chieftec is (at least those sent to the US) same as Highpower or
Thermaltake. It's a mid-grade power supply, should be fine and while
not great, is better than a generic.

Enermax is overpriced for what's inside, but also fine, should be ok
for that system. If I had to choose from among only those 3 PSU, I'd
choose the Enermax, assuming it has dual-ball-bearing fans, because I
think the Chieftec doesn't, rather the Chieftec fans' label may say
ball-bearing on it but it's a one-ball, one-sleeve bearing type.

If they're available there, I'd get a Sparkle/Fortron 300W, though
unless that system has a high-powered video card a 250W might work
too. Just buy a name-brand unit, by which I mean a large,
long-established name-brand, not something like Q-Tec, Kingwin, etc.

Dave
Old September 28th 03, 12:19 AM
Zilog Jones

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:47:39 GMT, kony wrote:

On 26 Sep 2003 06:06:03 -0700,
(Zilog Jones) wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advice. I thought the most expensive one would probably be
the best - it's like that with everything else, so why shouldn't it be like
that with PSUs?

I don't know exactly what graphics card he has, but it's the one that came
with the PC so I very much doubt he'll need more than 250W.

I'll look out for Sparkle/Fortron - I might have seen *something* made by
Sparlke in the OEM section of a local shop but I can't remember what it was
now...

--
Zilog Jones

Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/

3COM Ethernet is "good" - huh? Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\) General 6 September 17th 03 01:02 AM
What's a good FTP server software? FuzionMan General 13 August 31st 03 08:01 AM
Whats a good 400w and above Powersupply? thermaltake? graph 1 General 4 August 2nd 03 01:42 AM
Good AMD upgrade mobo? grendel General 7 July 17th 03 09:20 PM
Two PSUs = redundant supply or fried system? Martin General 2 July 15th 03 02:08 AM