A7N8X Deluxe question.

Old November 29th 03, 05:27 AM
Deep Thinker

Default A7N8X Deluxe question.

I own this board, and I've been using it for about a week. The question I
have is why two separate onboard network adapters with two separate
chipsets? I like this board for the "kitchen sink" approach--they've
included everything. However, for the life of me, I don't see the point of
two separate adapters with two different chipsets.

What's the point?

Old November 29th 03, 05:53 AM
BJViper

Tis so u can have 1 for your lan, and the other for ur wan (ie adsl or cable
modem that uses an ethernet connection).

Brendan C.

PS, the only other thing that i wish the board had is raid for pata drives.

Old November 29th 03, 08:25 AM
Deep Thinker

Tis so u can have 1 for your lan, and the other for ur wan (ie adsl or
cable
modem that uses an ethernet connection).

Brendan C.

PS, the only other thing that i wish the board had is raid for pata

drives.

A single network connection is all that's necesary if you have a router.
But, I guess I see your point.

DT

Old November 29th 03, 08:42 AM
BigFNDeal

Also, for those that do internet connection sharing, this makes it easier.

--
A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 | 1007 Über | 1700+ @12 x 168 = 2.02Ghz @1.7v |
CorsairTwinX XMS 2700LL (2x256) 6-2-2-2 @2.7v | MSI GeForce4Ti4200 128MB

Old November 29th 03, 01:37 PM
BoB

With windows xp pro, you can log onto a domain. 2 network adapters
gives easier access to 2 workgroups, one for a home network and another for
a temporary lan party, or you could put 2003 server on it and set up a
domain!

Old November 29th 03, 08:24 PM
Andy M Moore

I`m trying to use the 3-Com one for a Wireless Access Point & Internet
sharing (dial-up) - is this correct ?

--
Andy M Moore

Old November 29th 03, 08:41 PM
Kyle Brant

"BoB" wrote in message
With windows xp pro, you can log onto a domain. 2 network adapters
gives easier access to 2 workgroups, one for a home network and another

for
a temporary lan party, or you could put 2003 server on it and set up a
domain!

"Deep Thinker" wrote in message
I own this board, and I've been using it for about a week. The question

have is why two separate onboard network adapters with two separate
chipsets? I like this board for the "kitchen sink" approach--they've
included everything. However, for the life of me, I don't see the point

of
two separate adapters with two different chipsets.

What's the point?

2 NICs is an ideal hardware setup for sharing a broadband connection using
Internet Connection Sharing. One NIC connects to a cablemodem or DSL modem,
the other NIC connects to a router or switch or hub.

--
regards,
Kyle

Old December 14th 03, 02:21 AM
Patty

"Kyle Brant" wrote in message

2 NICs is an ideal hardware setup for sharing a broadband connection using
Internet Connection Sharing. One NIC connects to a cablemodem or DSL

modem,
the other NIC connects to a router or switch or hub.

--
regards,
Kyle

But couldn't you use the router and hook everything to just one NIC? That's
what I've had with motherboard's in the past. With the two NIC hookups, you
wouldn't need a router, would you? Perhaps just a hub or switch?

Patty

Old December 14th 03, 05:50 AM
peter

But couldn't you use the router and hook everything to just one NIC?

That's
what I've had with motherboard's in the past. With the two NIC hookups,

you
wouldn't need a router, would you? Perhaps just a hub or switch?

Patty

IF you have 2 systems one having 2 NIC and the other 1 NIC you could hook

the 1NIC machine into the machine with 2 NIC and access the net with the
other NIC from both machines.Without the use of hubs/switches/routers.
peter

---

Old December 14th 03, 07:03 AM
Kyle Brant

"Patty" wrote in message

| "Kyle Brant" wrote in message
|
| 2 NICs is an ideal hardware setup for sharing a broadband
connection using
| Internet Connection Sharing. One NIC connects to a cablemodem or
DSL
| modem,
| the other NIC connects to a router or switch or hub.
|
| --
| regards,
| Kyle
|
| But couldn't you use the router and hook everything to just one NIC?
That's
| what I've had with motherboard's in the past. With the two NIC
hookups, you
| wouldn't need a router, would you? Perhaps just a hub or switch?
|
| Patty

Yes.

--
Best regards,