DFI Ultra Infinity Losing Its Network Connection.

Old September 16th 04, 04:39 AM
Peter Harrington

Default DFI Ultra Infinity Losing Its Network Connection.

I have a DFI Ultra Infinity Board with a 2500 XP+ Barton Overclocked to 2.2
GHz (200x11, 1.8 V). The system is prime stable at least for a weekend.
However, I notice that it loses its network connection periodically.
Rebooting seems to fix the problems. Could this be an issue with the Vdd?
Should I try increasing it a bit.

Pete

Old September 16th 04, 04:45 AM
Peter Harrington

There is one other symptom that I forgot to mention. When I restart windoze
XP Pro, it says shutting down network connections and the harddrive light
seems to flicker indefinitely.

Thanks,

Pete

Old September 16th 04, 09:04 AM
Chip

"Peter Harrington" wrote in message
I have a DFI Ultra Infinity Board with a 2500 XP+ Barton Overclocked to

2.2
GHz (200x11, 1.8 V). The system is prime stable at least for a weekend.
However, I notice that it loses its network connection periodically.
Rebooting seems to fix the problems. Could this be an issue with the Vdd?
Should I try increasing it a bit.

I have one of these boards and a similar CPU. Whilst it has some "quirks",
the network connections have been completely rock solid. And I haven't seen
many (any?) ethernet problems for this board reported on the various forums
either.

I guess there's lots of things you *could* try - like updating the bios,
larger heatsink on the Southbridge, update the nVidia drivers, mess with
voltages etc. But I have no reason to believe any of this will specifically
fix your problem.

What's the ethernet port plugged into? A router, maybe? Are you sure that
component is not playing up?

Regarding the constant "ticking" of the hard disk led (if that's what you
mean), that's completely normal. Its something in Windows XP that does it,
not sure what exactly.

Chip

Old September 16th 04, 02:26 PM
Peter Harrington

Thanks Chip. I have two systems on the same router, so I only have this
problem with this one computer, but I could try switching cables. I ran
Prime95 overnight just to make sure and it ran fine.

As for drivers. The latest NF2 driver set is 2.45 at the DFI download page,
but I could not find a way to find the version number of the ones installed.
I can version numbers for each device, but they do not correspond to the
install pack at the DFI site.

Also, the latest DFI BIOS is only for the Sempron or does it have over
modifications for smoother behavior?

BTW, I am on the 6/19/04 BIOS and I could not get this system to run stable
at 2.2 GHz until, I updated.

Thanks,

Pete

Old September 16th 04, 04:34 PM
Chip

"Peter Harrington" wrote in message
Thanks Chip. I have two systems on the same router, so I only have this
problem with this one computer, but I could try switching cables.

I would certainly do that.

I ran
Prime95 overnight just to make sure and it ran fine.

As for drivers. The latest NF2 driver set is 2.45 at the DFI download

page,
but I could not find a way to find the version number of the ones

installed.
I can version numbers for each device, but they do not correspond to the
install pack at the DFI site.

The latese nVidia drivers are 4.27. 2.45's are probably 1 year old now, so
I would certainly update those. There were quite a few problems with
earlier nVidia drivers too (like I had my USB ports disappearing on me with
version 2.xx), so this is certainly a possible suspect for your problem.

Also, the latest DFI BIOS is only for the Sempron or does it have over
modifications for smoother behavior?

I don't think so. You should be OK with 6/19/04. And apart from anything
else, a bios update should be considered a measure of last resort (unless
you have Bios Saviour). Corrupted bioses are *way* too common on these
boards to go fiddling about with the bios unless you really have to.

BTW, I am on the 6/19/04 BIOS and I could not get this system to run

stable
at 2.2 GHz until, I updated.

Thanks,

Pete

Cheers.

Chip

Old September 16th 04, 07:59 PM
Tim

"Peter Harrington" wrote in message
There is one other symptom that I forgot to mention. When I restart
windoze XP Pro, it says shutting down network connections and the
harddrive light seems to flicker indefinitely.

I don't know if this will help but it's worth a try ...

(taken from MS site)
You can use Device Manager to change the power management settings for a
network adapter. To disable this setting in Device Manager, expand Network
Adapters, right-click the adapter, click Properties, click the Power
Management tab, and then clear the "Allow the computer to turn off this
device to save power" check box.

Old September 17th 04, 12:22 AM
Peter Harrington

Hi Tim:

Thanks, the checkbox was clicked and I have a good feeling that this tip
(fingers crossed) will solve the problem.

Pete

Old September 17th 04, 12:38 AM
Peter Harrington

Thanks, Chip!!!

I kind of thought that I ought to check out the Nvidia site. I will have to
send the tech guys a not at DFI about updating their web site. I guess
RadarSync and Windoze Update are WPoS when it comes to updating drivers.

I hope this too (updating the NF2 drivers) will solve the problem and
improve the stability of my system.

Pete

Old September 17th 04, 05:37 PM
Chip

"Peter Harrington" wrote in message
Hi Tim:

Thanks, the checkbox was clicked and I have a good feeling that this tip
(fingers crossed) will solve the problem.

I don't mean to dash your hopes, but this checkbox is ticked by default and
it doesn't normally cause anyone a problem, so I very much doubt this is
what's troubling you. Apart from anything else, this check box only affects
what XP does to the network connection **when XP is going into suspend mode,
or hibernating**. It would not explain why your network connection was
being dropped in normal use.

Chip

Pete

Old September 17th 04, 06:35 PM
Tim

"Peter Harrington" wrote in message
Hi Tim:

Thanks, the checkbox was clicked and I have a good feeling that this tip
(fingers crossed) will solve the problem.

Pete

Just yesterday I starting having a problem with "disconnected network"
prompts from XP Pro. I fixed it (fingers crossed) by changing my Ethernet
speed value from "Auto-detect" to its manual setting. Might be worth trying

Step 1 Go to Start Control Panel and select Network connections.

Step 2 Right click on your network card (for 2000 and XP only)and select
Properties.

Step 3 Select the Configure button.

Step 4 Under the Advanced tab you will see two boxes; Property and Value.

Note: Depending on the type of Ethernet card you are using the headings in
the Property box will be slightly different.

Step 5 Select each heading in the Properties box until the Value box
displays the speed of your Ethernet card (it will look like this:
Auto-Detect, 10Mb Full, 100 MB Half, etc..). Set it for the speed
appropriate for your hardware. I set mine for10mb Full Duplex (I'm using the
built-in gigabit LAN of my Intel mobo with a D-Link 604 router, which
connects to a Motorola CableModem).

Step 6 Keep clicking OK until you get to the desktop. Your computer may ask
you to reboot depending on the version of Windows you are running.