Epson Photo R200 won't feed matte card stock paper

Old December 17th 05, 03:19 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default Epson Photo R200 won't feed matte card stock paper

I'm using Staples brand, half-fold, matte card stock. The weight is
230g/m2. The printer fed 6 sheets, both sides, with no problem. Now it
won't feed at all. I can run any other paper through it with no problems,
plain, glossy photo, whatever. It tries to feed the paper, but fails. I've
got 60 cards to print and mail out by tomorrow morning. Does anyone have
any ideas how to get the printer to feed this paper?

Old December 17th 05, 05:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"Kevin" wrote:
I'm using Staples brand, half-fold, matte card stock. The weight is
230g/m2. The printer fed 6 sheets, both sides, with no problem. Now it
won't feed at all. I can run any other paper through it with no problems,
plain, glossy photo, whatever. It tries to feed the paper, but fails. I've
got 60 cards to print and mail out by tomorrow morning. Does anyone have
any ideas how to get the printer to feed this paper?

The specs for this printer say 255g/m2 maximum using genuine Epson paper only.
This is not to mean that it won't do better but I imagine Epson have a reason
for this limitation and all paper is not created equal.
Also you are close to the maximum paper weight and maybe the feed rollers are a
bit smooth. You could try to clean them (it) with a damp cloth and see if that
helps.
Tony
Old December 17th 05, 05:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Thanks for the help. The design of the printer makes it next to impossible
to get to the feed rollers to clean them. The roller I can see looks fine
and the printer will feed glossy photo paper, which is just as heavy as the
card stock I'm working with, with no problems at all. I called Epson and
they won't help me because I'm using Staples brand paper. Needless to say,
this ****es me off, but there's nothing I can do about it. Except consider
buying an HP product. The Staples paper is guaranteed to work with any
printer on the market today.

I have no idea why my Epson is refusing to load this paper. It is
definitely not grabbing the sheet and feeding it. I can get it to work
about 10% of the time by assisting the sheet into the feed. So I guess
there is some issue with the feed rollers. But why it will happily feed
glossy photo paper and not this card stock is a mystery. The finish on the
back of the glossy photo paper is much slicker than the matte finish on the
card stock I'm trying to print. Thanks again for your help.

"Tony" wrote in message
news

Old December 17th 05, 02:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Why are you bitching at Epson because it is having problems with Staples
paper. Call Staples and bitch at them for their cheap paper. The only reason
you are using it is because it is cheap.

"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

"Tony" wrote in message
news

Old December 17th 05, 04:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:19:46 -0800, "Kevin"
wrote:

I'm using Staples brand, half-fold, matte card stock. The weight is
230g/m2. The printer fed 6 sheets, both sides, with no problem. Now it
won't feed at all. I can run any other paper through it with no problems,
plain, glossy photo, whatever. It tries to feed the paper, but fails. I've
got 60 cards to print and mail out by tomorrow morning. Does anyone have
any ideas how to get the printer to feed this paper?

Try getting an inkjet printer cleaning kit from an office supply
store. I suspect the 'matte coating' rubbed off on the feed rollers
and needs to be cleaned off. You might want to try Avery or Office
Depot brand papers instead, if it happens again. Or it could just be
that the printer was already on the verge of needing to be cleaned.

I think that he reason that it will still feed the Epson paper is
because when you choose Premium or Ultra Premium paper, it knows that
it's going to be printing on thick paper and adjusts the feed. Older
printers used to have a lever, I think this is software based now. One
thing I like about the HPs more than the Epsons is that HP printers
have settings for 'Other brand photo paper' 'Other greeting cards'
'Other transparencies', that will at least /try/ with different brand
paper, but Epson only has settings for its own papers, which is
annoying because so far I've never seen Epson labels, Epson Vellum,
Epson Greeting Cards, Epson Transparencies, etc, so I'm never quite
sure /what/ setting to chose to print with Avery or in-store brands.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
Old December 17th 05, 09:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

You may have missed the point here. I am not bitching at Epson. Yes, it
****es me off that they won't help me with their printer which is using
paper branded by Staples, that is guaranteed to work in any modern printer.
The fact that the Staples paper is cheaper than the Epson paper has nothing
to do with my decision to purchase it. There was no Epson paper, in the
matte finish, double-sided, half-fold type in the store. Had there been, I
would have bought it.

I am only seeking input as to why my Stylus Photo R200 won't feed the
Staples paper yet takes all the other paper I have on hand with no problems.

. com...

"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

"Tony" wrote in message
news

Old December 17th 05, 09:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Thanks for your reply. The R200 does not have a "paper thickness" setting
lever. I am using the Heavyweight Matte driver setting. I've tried single
sheets, a single sheet backed up by a full stack of plain paper, a full
stack of the card stock paper and so on. I just can't get the printer to
feed the paper. It fed the first six sheets, twice, with no problems at
all.

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:19:46 -0800, in comp.periphs.printers "Kevin"
wrote:

I'm using Staples brand, half-fold, matte card stock. The weight is
230g/m2. The printer fed 6 sheets, both sides, with no problem. Now it
won't feed at all. I can run any other paper through it with no problems,
plain, glossy photo, whatever. It tries to feed the paper, but fails.
I've
got 60 cards to print and mail out by tomorrow morning. Does anyone have
any ideas how to get the printer to feed this paper?

My old 1270 has a lever that sets the printer for thick paper. Does the
R200 have something similar? Just looked at the Epson site and apparently
not. Are you setting the media type to Heavyweight Matte in the driver?
--
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Old December 17th 05, 09:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Thanks for the suggestion. I may have to do that. I do have the paper
setting in the driver selected for Heavyweight type paper. I guess the only
thing it could be is the feed rollers. Quite annoying! Thanks again!

Old December 18th 05, 03:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

In ,
Kevin scribed:
I'm using Staples brand, half-fold, matte card stock. The weight is
230g/m2. The printer fed 6 sheets, both sides, with no problem. Now it
won't feed at all. I can run any other paper through it with no problems,
plain, glossy photo, whatever. It tries to feed the paper, but fails.
I've got 60 cards to print and mail out by tomorrow morning. Does anyone
have any ideas how to get the printer to feed this paper?

Kevin,

I don't actually *know* if this is going to solve your problem, but it has
worked for me on my trusty old 1200 :-) when trying to stuff it with grossly
overweight stock!

Either, score just once along the feeding/leading edge of the paper with
your fingernails in a pinching position. Or, using a ruler on a flat table,
run a straight edge along the leading edge of the paper instead.

Although I have never had to resort to this yet, more drastic action can be
taken by selotaping (or masking taping) a thinner, in-spec piece of paper to
the leading edge which will then get pulled in, but don't forget to make
allowances for this in your page layout.

hth

Nigel

Old December 18th 05, 08:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

You have missed the point. Epson said they only guarantee their paper.
Staples guaranteed their paper would work and it didn't. Take it up with
Staples. It isn't Epson's problem and why should they pay to solve Staples
problem. Staples isn't the only store that sells paper.

"Kevin" wrote in message
news
You may have missed the point here. I am not bitching at Epson. Yes, it
****es me off that they won't help me with their printer which is using
paper branded by Staples, that is guaranteed to work in any modern
printer. The fact that the Staples paper is cheaper than the Epson paper
has nothing to do with my decision to purchase it. There was no Epson
paper, in the matte finish, double-sided, half-fold type in the store.
Had there been, I would have bought it.

I am only seeking input as to why my Stylus Photo R200 won't feed the
Staples paper yet takes all the other paper I have on hand with no
problems.

. com...