Can't boot computer, please help!

Old June 19th 04, 08:31 PM
Vile

Default Can't boot computer, please help!

Well I got the same motherboard as the one I have replaced and it
won't boot with just the video card and monitor plugged in also with
one card of ram.
This is what I have:
Motherboard= EP-8KTA+
CPU/Processor=AMD Athlon 900 MH/VT8363
RAM/DIMM/PC100/PC133= 128MB/64MB/512MB for the 3 slots (I tried
booting with each one already, the 512MB is fairly new)
Video Card= NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra AGP card (Fairly new, for now
I assume the card is ok)
Windows XP
300 watt power supply (New)

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

The problem just before changing motherboard was that the computer
would not hold power for no more than a few seconds. I got another
power supply. And it did the same thing. Best buy guy said it was
the mother board, found the same motherboard on E-bay, got that,
plugged in everything the same way and I get full power it seems and
holds, but nothing shows on monitor. Took it to best buy, they
powered it up, nothing on their monitor either, he said it was the
motherboard probably. I might just start looking for another new
motherboard this time. I am not sure what to get. Also the Best guy
said that he noticed a red led1 light on also.

I am also going to try and re-plug everything in also. I also heard
to make sure motherboard does not touch the case. Will also try that.

Thanks in advance!
Old June 20th 04, 04:30 AM
Aaron

(Vile) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Good luck with that. If you can't figure things out, try booting with
only the processor in, it will ask for RAM, put ram in etc...videocard
next.

Not sure if I've already told you that or not?

Aaron

Old June 22nd 04, 01:21 PM
Vile

Have not tried yet, been busy...but are you saying there is a mininal
way for starting? With only power, video card, anything else to
unplug. I guess to see what is going on I would need the video card
plugged in. Maybe leave the cpu fan unplugged. What cords are
minimal for startup? Do I need the running lights, etc? Any idea
what that red led1 light means?

(Aaron) wrote in message . com...
(Vile) wrote in message . com...
Ok will try that....will it work with an XP boot disc in only?

Put no disk in. In fact, do not have any drives connected. So I
guess it wouldn't matter if a disk was in...

Aaron

Old June 25th 04, 09:22 PM
Anonymous Jack

(Vile) wrote in message . com...
I got a flicker of video from it today while switching around the ram
and removing the battery for cmos for few minutes. But it still won't
boot. Bad motherboard again?

I hope you are not opening the case and installing/removing parts with
the power turned on?

Let's start with some basics - is this a computer you've had for a
while that developed problems, or are you putting this together from
parts you've purchased?

If you've had this computer a while, what was the last bit of hardware
you added before this problem, and what was the last software you
installed (including the OS and any utilities) you installed?

Have not tried yet, been busy...but are you saying there is a mininal
way for starting? With only power, video card, anything else to
unplug. I guess to see what is going on I would need the video card
plugged in.

It is a trouble-shooting technique, not a way of booting the computer.
When a computer starts, it runs through BIOS to see if the proper
bits are attached.

Disconnect everything except the processor and fans. If the processor
is OK, BIOS will indicate via beeps that there is no RAM. Power down,
add RAM. Restart. BIOS will now find a processor and RAM and give
beeps showing it didn't find the next part, and so on.

Or, BIOS will beep, giving you errors when it comes to a part it
doesn't like or is defective. Search the web for your BIOS beep
codes, something like, "Award beep code" and you should find a list of
what they mean.

Since BIOS is beeping to tell you what's going on, you don't want to
leave the video card in.

Maybe leave the cpu fan unplugged. What cords are
minimal for startup? Do I need the running lights, etc? Any idea
what that red led1 light means?

No to both. Never run a processor without the heatsink/cooler/fan that
is required for it. No idea what the red led1 means - is this on your
motherboard? If so, look at the documentation for your board. Some
boards have an LED on it just to show it is getting power. Not sure
what "running lights" are either.

Just remove major components (RAM, video card, floppy, hard drive,
optical drives, any PCI or add-on cards, etc). You don't need to
detach the leads to the LEDs in the front of the case (hard drive
activity indicator, Power On light, etc).
Old June 27th 04, 03:01 AM
Andrew

(Anonymous Jack) wrote in message om...
(Vile) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Hi, I have had a situation like yours. My computer would turn on and
so screen appeared and the bios was beeping. I could try this, Check
the seal of your cpu, if you are using a old cpu fan be sure that you
used thermal grease I prefer Artic Silver) and make sure that there
are no dents or disformatiopns on the surface of the cpu fan. If you
have a new fan try to make sure that the pad that comes with the cpu
cooler is in contact w/ the athlon, since the athlon is really small
in terms of surface space for heat disapation, it is a major important
check up. My fan was on reverse, so ht it wouldnt start up, hope that
you find the problem,

Andrew
Old June 30th 04, 01:16 AM
Vile

Well I am going to try another motherboard, epox will sell me one for
$25 so I think I'll just try that.

But could this be a fan problem? So far all the beeps I got out of
this suggests that the motherboard is bad again, so instead of paying
$350 for another motherboard, new memory since mine is not supported
anymore, probably another power supply, I will try again with the same
kind of motherboard. Its refurbished, but under a 90 warrenty minus
restocking fee. I will just try another motherboard.

I am also thinking about testing out the video card and ram on
somebody else's computer

Old July 8th 04, 01:02 PM
Vile

Yep it was the mobo. I got another ep-8kta+ mobo and it started up
normally with all my hardware. My advise for peeps in the future
looking for answers to this question, keep it simple! Another
suggestion is to get motherboard monitor for keeping track of temps
just in case I come across this problem again.

Thread closed....thanks all!

How Move OS XP from Old to New HD? Nehmo Sergheyev Homebuilt PC's 80 January 12th 04 05:10 PM
REPOST: A7V333: no longer able to access hard disks at boot time Chris Metzler Asus Motherboards 6 January 8th 04 06:29 PM
Computer won't boot ArchNacho General 5 October 4th 03 05:24 PM
help: computer won't boot Rob General 3 October 4th 03 12:14 PM
Computer won't boot with 2000+ Athlon, 2100+ Athlon works just fine Cyde Weys General 4 July 3rd 03 12:16 PM