4.0Ghz P4 now officially cancelled

Old November 1st 04, 09:29 PM
Tony Hill

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:20:40 -0500, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:

Tony Hill wrote:
You can do the same thing with MythTV, though it requires two TV
tuners. For the time being at least I've only got a single TV tuner
in my box.

I also saw what the cable company had to offer, and it's probably a
more economical option, though I detest giving any more money to
Rogers than I absolutely have to! :

Can you input or output AVI files through the MythTV box?

Yup, it can act as a front-end for Mplayer (or Xine?), which is
capable of playing pretty much every type of media file for which
there is a CODEC available (and it uses the exact same CODECs as
Windows/Windows Media Player). It's actually a small add-in called
MythVideo, and there really isn't much too it, pretty much just
launches an external media player.

As for the input side of things, by default it uses either RTjpeg or
MPEG-2 to encode files, but there is also a transcode option built in
that can output using just about any codec.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old November 5th 04, 02:48 PM
Yousuf Khan

Tony Hill wrote:
Yup, it can act as a front-end for Mplayer (or Xine?), which is
capable of playing pretty much every type of media file for which
there is a CODEC available (and it uses the exact same CODECs as
Windows/Windows Media Player). It's actually a small add-in called
MythVideo, and there really isn't much too it, pretty much just
launches an external media player.

So you just download the Windows Codecs and they work right off the bat?

As for the input side of things, by default it uses either RTjpeg or
MPEG-2 to encode files, but there is also a transcode option built in
that can output using just about any codec.

Okay, I assume that these two are the least CPU-intensive for real-time
encoding. But I guess it won't go straight to Mpeg-4 encoding will it?

Yousuf Khan

Old November 5th 04, 07:22 PM
Tony Hill

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:48:25 -0500, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:

Tony Hill wrote:
Yup, it can act as a front-end for Mplayer (or Xine?), which is
capable of playing pretty much every type of media file for which
there is a CODEC available (and it uses the exact same CODECs as
Windows/Windows Media Player). It's actually a small add-in called
MythVideo, and there really isn't much too it, pretty much just
launches an external media player.

So you just download the Windows Codecs and they work right off the bat?

In theory yes, though as usual, theory and practice aren't always the
same thing.

As for the input side of things, by default it uses either RTjpeg or
MPEG-2 to encode files, but there is also a transcode option built in
that can output using just about any codec.

Okay, I assume that these two are the least CPU-intensive for real-time
encoding. But I guess it won't go straight to Mpeg-4 encoding will it?

Actually I was a bit off on the above, it uses RTjpeg by default but
can also use MPEG4 for straight encoding. RTjpeg doesn't require much
CPU power, while MPEG4 requires a fair bit more.

Of course, all that depends on it actually getting a video signal from
your TV tuner, which unfortunately I have not quite been able to
manage yet : I've got a signal in TVTime (a simple TV viewing
program), so I know that the tuner works, but some setting or another
in MythTV just doesn't seem quite right. I'm going to give it another
go this weekend, or possibly just switch over to KnoppMyth (a sort of
straight-from-the-box solution, just drop a CD in and let it copy an
image over to your hard drive) or some other distribution of Linux. I
had been using Mandrake, which got me the first 9/10th of the way
there quite well, but that last step has been quite a large one.
Perhaps Debian should have been my distribution of choice given that
this is what the main MythTV developer uses. Others seem to have had
good luck with Gentoo as well.

4.0Ghz P4 delayed Yousuf Khan General 1 July 31st 04 12:47 AM
Partition Hex Codes? NiteWolf1138 General 2 February 11th 04 05:53 PM
Does CATALYST 3.8 support MOBILITY Radeon 9600 officially ? FrankE Ati Videocards 1 October 9th 03 07:28 PM
Canon 'officially resealed' printers Si Printers 4 September 2nd 03 12:32 AM