4.0Ghz P4 now officially cancelled

Old October 14th 04, 07:42 PM
Yousuf Khan

Default 4.0Ghz P4 now officially cancelled

Will now concentrate on 2MB L2 caches instead.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19089

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

Old October 14th 04, 08:14 PM
Grumble

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Will now concentrate on 2MB L2 caches instead.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19089

I don't think one is allowed to say "officially" and "the Inquirer"
in the same sentence.

Old October 14th 04, 08:52 PM
Yousuf Khan

Grumble wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:

Will now concentrate on 2MB L2 caches instead.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19089

I don't think one is allowed to say "officially" and "the Inquirer"
in the same sentence.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/041014/tech_...roadmap_1.html

Yousuf Khan

Old October 15th 04, 04:03 AM
AJ

It's sad how corps can get so caught up in their own BS that
they have no concept of what's important (incapable of any kind
of out-of-the-box thinking). Hopefully they'll be able to realize
their mistakes and produce consumer-driven products and maybe
even anticipate what is wanted before they get so far away from
the mark in the future.

Personally, if Northwoods go away and Prescott is the only Intel
choice, I'm gonna buy AMD. Secondly, if motherboards from Intel
become $120, I'll go third party there too. Enough of the gouging
already. "Innovation" where it is not necessary is not appreciated.

AJ

Old October 15th 04, 07:00 AM
Yousuf Khan

AJ wrote:
Personally, if Northwoods go away and Prescott is the only Intel
choice, I'm gonna buy AMD. Secondly, if motherboards from Intel
become $120, I'll go third party there too. Enough of the gouging
already. "Innovation" where it is not necessary is not appreciated.

Not even sure why you would need to announce this, AMD and/or third-party
motherboards should've always been on your radar, even before now.

Yousuf Khan

Old October 15th 04, 01:27 PM
George Macdonald

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:03:50 GMT, "AJ" wrote:

It's sad how corps can get so caught up in their own BS that
they have no concept of what's important (incapable of any kind
of out-of-the-box thinking). Hopefully they'll be able to realize
their mistakes and produce consumer-driven products and maybe
even anticipate what is wanted before they get so far away from
the mark in the future.

Personally, if Northwoods go away and Prescott is the only Intel
choice, I'm gonna buy AMD. Secondly, if motherboards from Intel
become $120, I'll go third party there too. Enough of the gouging
already. "Innovation" where it is not necessary is not appreciated.

Either way, Intel's mbrds are not considered that great now - they were
always a PITA with many models with a castrated BIOS Setup, the
independents are doing such a great job anyway and Intel branded are often
sub-contracted out now. Buy what suits your needs in the way of features &
layout from one of the majors. The days when Taiwan, and even PRC mfr was
crap are long past.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old October 15th 04, 01:27 PM
George Macdonald

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:42:44 -0400, "Yousuf Khan" wrote:

Will now concentrate on 2MB L2 caches instead.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19089

Can you say: "inventory reduction"?:-)

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old October 15th 04, 08:56 PM
Ghostrider

AJ wrote:

It's sad how corps can get so caught up in their own BS that
they have no concept of what's important (incapable of any kind
of out-of-the-box thinking). Hopefully they'll be able to realize
their mistakes and produce consumer-driven products and maybe
even anticipate what is wanted before they get so far away from
the mark in the future.

Personally, if Northwoods go away and Prescott is the only Intel
choice, I'm gonna buy AMD. Secondly, if motherboards from Intel
become $120, I'll go third party there too. Enough of the gouging
already. "Innovation" where it is not necessary is not appreciated.

AJ

The consumer market has been slowing down in any event
and throwing more capital into the Pentium-4 makes little
or no sense at all. Of course, we all know that Intel has
its own version of the "skunk works" (or certainly can
afford to have one) and it would be interesting to see
what mature product might emerge from Intel's R&D after
2 or 3 years. With future business prospects being what
they currently are, the ability to continuously upgrade
has come to a screeching halt, anyway. "Innovate" may mean
changing directions or going down a different path.

Old October 15th 04, 09:20 PM
JK

Ghostrider wrote:

AJ wrote:

It's sad how corps can get so caught up in their own BS that
they have no concept of what's important (incapable of any kind
of out-of-the-box thinking). Hopefully they'll be able to realize
their mistakes and produce consumer-driven products and maybe
even anticipate what is wanted before they get so far away from
the mark in the future.

Personally, if Northwoods go away and Prescott is the only Intel
choice, I'm gonna buy AMD. Secondly, if motherboards from Intel
become $120, I'll go third party there too. Enough of the gouging
already. "Innovation" where it is not necessary is not appreciated.

AJ

The consumer market has been slowing down in any event

That may be what Intel is saying, but it is not what AMD is saying.

and throwing more capital into the Pentium-4 makes little
or no sense at all.

Intel needs lower power consuming chips that are 64 bit and have
integrated memory controllers to become competitive with AMD.

This article is very interesting.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19105

Of course, we all know that Intel has
its own version of the "skunk works" (or certainly can
afford to have one) and it would be interesting to see
what mature product might emerge from Intel's R&D after
2 or 3 years. With future business prospects being what
they currently are

CPU sales at AMD are great! They increased 33% from from a
year ago for the quarter ending in September, and increased
21% from the June quarter. The industry is still growing, however
AMD is gaining market market share. Intel's cpu sales grew only
around 3-4% yoy and from last quarter.

, the ability to continuously upgrade
has come to a screeching halt, anyway. "Innovate" may mean
changing directions or going down a different path.

The move to 64 bits and memory controllers integrated into the
cpu for much greater performance are important reasons to
upgrade. Of course those chips with integrated memory
controllers are made by AMD though.

Old October 15th 04, 09:44 PM
JK

Another interesting article.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19110

4.0Ghz P4 delayed Yousuf Khan General 1 July 31st 04 12:47 AM
Partition Hex Codes? NiteWolf1138 General 2 February 11th 04 05:53 PM
Does CATALYST 3.8 support MOBILITY Radeon 9600 officially ? FrankE Ati Videocards 1 October 9th 03 07:28 PM
Canon 'officially resealed' printers Si Printers 4 September 2nd 03 12:32 AM