Microsoft shortens Windows name

Old August 20th 04, 07:44 AM
Yousuf Khan

Default Microsoft shortens Windows name

The previously named Windows XP and 2003 "64-bit edition for 64-bit extended
systems" has now just been shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

Looks like Microsoft has decided on X64 as the universal moniker for all
X86-64 marketing names.

Yousuf Khan

http://entmag.com/news/rss.asp?editorialsid=6343

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

Old August 21st 04, 01:02 AM
Stubby Boardman

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...
| The previously named Windows XP and 2003 "64-bit edition for 64-bit extended
| systems" has now just been shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
| or Windows Server 2003 for X64.
|
| Looks like Microsoft has decided on X64 as the universal moniker for all
| X86-64 marketing names.
|
| Yousuf Khan

How many staff meetings did it take for them to think up 'X64'
I wonder?

Old August 21st 04, 01:49 AM
Ed Light

"Yousuf Khan" wrote
shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

Will there be a Home edition?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old August 21st 04, 02:31 AM
MyndPhlyp

"Ed Light" wrote in message

"Yousuf Khan" wrote
shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

Will there be a Home edition?

The Home edition seems to be somewhat dysfunctional - they're thinking about
calling it X Spouse. It was going to be finalized in a matter of weeks, but
attorneys for both parties are dragging matters out and it's getting very
messy.

(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.)

Old August 21st 04, 06:12 AM
Yousuf Khan

Stubby Boardman wrote:
Looks like Microsoft has decided on X64 as the universal moniker for
all X86-64 marketing names.

Yousuf Khan

How many staff meetings did it take for them to think up 'X64'
I wonder?

Probably one more than the one that came up with "64-bit Edition for 64-bit
Extended Systems". :-)

Yousuf Khan

Old August 21st 04, 08:01 AM
Tony Hill

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:02:37 -0700, "Stubby Boardman"
wrote:

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
| The previously named Windows XP and 2003 "64-bit edition for 64-bit extended
| systems" has now just been shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
| or Windows Server 2003 for X64.
|
| Looks like Microsoft has decided on X64 as the universal moniker for all
| X86-64 marketing names.
|
| Yousuf Khan

How many staff meetings did it take for them to think up 'X64'
I wonder?

Probably none. It sounds to me like the middle management was off
having countless staff meetings to decide on "64-bit edition for
64-bit extended systems" while everyone actually doing the work just
ignored all that garbage and decided on 'X64'.

Then, after the bean counters figured out that the staff-meeting name
was going to require them to completely redesign the box, labels and
all marketing material because it was just too long, someone figured
on the bright idea of completely ignoring the morons who thought of
this name in the first place and just using 'X64', which is what
everyone was calling it in the first place.

Ok... maybe that's just my version of the events without having
actually been involved in any way :

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old August 21st 04, 01:34 PM
Johannes H Andersen

Ed Light wrote:

"Yousuf Khan" wrote
shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

Will there be a Home edition?

Since M$ used Rolling Stones 'Start me up' for promoting Win95,
I suppose that this time they will use The Beatles 'When I'm 64'.
Old August 21st 04, 02:56 PM
Alexander Grigoriev

LOL!

IIRC, "I can't get no satisfaction" was used for Win95?

"Johannes H Andersen" wrote in
message news:4127330F.8E07C48C@wsrexaoxazxsizefitterwozeoa rrxzx.com...

"Yousuf Khan" wrote

Old August 21st 04, 08:26 PM
Lee Waun

"Alexander Grigoriev" wrote in message
ink.net...
LOL!

IIRC, "I can't get no satisfaction" was used for Win95?

Nope it was "Start me Up" for win95

Old August 21st 04, 11:55 PM
Nick Roberts

Nope it was "Start me Up" for win95

Later it was changed to....
(Try to) Start Me Up

Then to "Just Press Start" ...

.... and then "Just Press Reset"

;-)

--
Nick Roberts

help! NVIDIA GeForce2 M changes my settings... Serial # 19781010 Nvidia Videocards 1 September 13th 04 09:14 PM
TSMC gets contract to manufacture Xbox 2 GPU R420 Ati Videocards 5 April 8th 04 12:01 AM
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit,Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new! TEL Overclocking AMD Processors 0 January 1st 04 06:59 PM
Bad ECDC update? Mike S. Cdr 0 November 7th 03 03:59 PM
WTF is Microsoft Windows Update doing? anon Nvidia Videocards 12 August 30th 03 08:10 AM