5V board in a 3.3V PCI slot

Old June 23rd 04, 10:22 AM
marco p.

Default 5V board in a 3.3V PCI slot

Hi,
I have a problem with a Dialogic board "DM/IP301-1e1-PCI".
I installed that board in a Piv 1.6Ghz Mainboard D845WN and I can't do
it starts. The board's power requirements are 22.5W @ 5V, and using PC
Wizard I see that the PCI slot used by the Dialogic board has this
Is this a problem?
Does the board fail to start by this reason?
Can I make the board and the Mainboard compatible?
thanks!
Bye
Old June 23rd 04, 05:05 PM
larrymoencurly

(marco p.) wrote in message . com...

I have a problem with a Dialogic board "DM/IP301-1e1-PCI".
I installed that board in a Piv 1.6Ghz Mainboard D845WN and
I can't do it starts. The board's power requirements are
22.5W @ 5V, and using PC Wizard I see that the PCI slot
used by the Dialogic board has this description: "In Use
(32-bit) 3.3v". Is this a problem?
Does the board fail to start by this reason?

If the PCI card has a notch cut into it about 3/4" from the front of
its edge connector (far from the rear bracket), it's supposed to be
compatible with 3.3V PCI, and any PCI slot with a key molded into it
to line up with that notch is supposed to support 3.3V. But I have a
FIC VA-503+ mobo and Soyo USB 2.0 card that are supposed to be
compatible like that, but whenever the card is plugged in the computer
won't turn on at all. The USB card is based on the VIA VT6202 USB 2.0
chip and although it's specified as being made for 2.5V PCI, it's
claimed to be compatible with 3.3V PCI. Also the mobo's chipset is
made by the same company VIA, and FIC and VIA are owned by the same
parent company. Another odd thing is that this USB card works fine in
an older FIC mobo, the PA-2007, which uses the VIA VP2 chipset and
shares the same south bridge. But a newer VIA USB 2.0 card, based on
the VT6212 chip, runs fine with the VA-503+, although it also has a
second notch about 3/4" from the rear of the edge connector (near the
bracket), which I think indicates it's supposed to also be compatible
with +5.0V PCI.