Ok, Who's got the virus?

Old September 20th 03, 02:35 AM
Yousuf Khan

"Will Dormann" wrote in message
Why aren't you just filtering out all messages that don't have your name

in
the "To:" or "Cc:" line? I usually filter out all "Bcc:" messages

because
they are usually spam.

Mailing lists rarely have your email address in the To: line.
I guess you could manually make exclusions for those you're signed up
for....

Yes, exactly, the number of spam mailing lists far outweighs the number of
legitimate mailing lists, so it's easier to assume that you'll be Bcc'ed by
a spammer than by a legitimate person. It's easier to create rules to
exclude people from the spam filter than it is to include people in a spam
filter.

Yousuf Khan

Old September 20th 03, 02:44 AM
Yousuf Khan

"CLF" wrote in message
I use Express, but have disabled the preview.

Apparently I'm not important enough to receive that virus message, or

maybe
it's because I never posted my email address on usenet.....thus, it is

your
own stupidity.

You don't have to disable the preview, all you have to do is go into
Tools-Options-Security, and click on the tickbox called, "Do not allow
attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus".
That'll prevent stuff from being executed automatically.

And of course, also have a virus scanner scanning your email prior to
download of the message.

Yousuf Khan

Old September 20th 03, 02:45 AM
Yousuf Khan

"Keith R. Williams" wrote in message
. ..
Why aren't you just filtering out all messages that don't have your name

in
the "To:" or "Cc:" line? I usually filter out all "Bcc:" messages

because
they are usually spam.

My server thingy doesn't like compound statements. I'll have to
redirect the valid ones to another account. ...thus likely get
spammed/virused[*] there too, once it's out.

OE has a rule that searches for your name in either "To: or CC:" lines at
the same time. Which email package are you using?

Yousuf Khan

Old September 20th 03, 04:56 AM
The little lost angel

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:55:38 GMT, Tony Hill
wrote:

Don't worry L'Angel, it didn't show up for me either. Maybe it only
affects the old folks here! :

*grinz* oh yeah! I like the sound of THAT :PpP

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
Old September 20th 03, 10:21 AM
Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:44:58 GMT, "Yousuf Khan"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

And of course, also have a virus scanner scanning your email prior to
download of the message.

So your virus scanner scans your email before it leaves the server?
Does Yahoo offer such a service?

- Franc Zabkar
Old September 20th 03, 04:16 PM
Yousuf Khan

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:44:58 GMT, "Yousuf Khan"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

And of course, also have a virus scanner scanning your email prior to
download of the message.

So your virus scanner scans your email before it leaves the server?
Does Yahoo offer such a service?

Yes, most virus scanners these days scan incoming email, and some even scan
outgoing email. They basically sit in memory and monitor the POP3 and SMTP
ports and any activity over them will be intercepted, scanned and then
forwarded as necessary.

As for Yahoo, yes, it has an anti-virus scanner facility if you go in
through their web interface. If you're downloading it directly from Yahoo
through POP, then you'll have to rely on your own computer's virus scanner.

Yousuf Khan

Old September 20th 03, 11:11 PM
Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:16:14 GMT, "Yousuf Khan"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:44:58 GMT, "Yousuf Khan"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

And of course, also have a virus scanner scanning your email prior to
download of the message.

So your virus scanner scans your email before it leaves the server?
Does Yahoo offer such a service?

Yes, most virus scanners these days scan incoming email, and some even scan
outgoing email. They basically sit in memory and monitor the POP3 and SMTP
ports and any activity over them will be intercepted, scanned and then
forwarded as necessary.

Yes, I was aware of that. However, your original statement implied
that *your* virus scanner could somehow scan the messages on the
*server* before they even got to you.

As for Yahoo, yes, it has an anti-virus scanner facility if you go in
through their web interface. If you're downloading it directly from Yahoo
through POP, then you'll have to rely on your own computer's virus scanner.

Understood. It's a shame my own ISP doesn't provide such a service.
Perhaps it has something to do with our stupid privacy legislation.

- Franc Zabkar
Old September 20th 03, 11:20 PM
Tony Hill

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:59:09 -0400, Keith R. Williams
wrote:
In article , a?n?g?e?
says...
wrote:

Don't worry L'Angel, it didn't show up for me either. Maybe it only
affects the old folks here! :

*grinz* oh yeah! I like the sound of THAT :PpP

Ok, kidz. Brush your teeth and it's off to bed now...

Awww.. But I wanted to stay up late tonight! *PLEASE*! :

BTW, your name *is* on one of the reject notices I got from
someone's ISP.

I think " is getting a whole whack of these
things sent to his account :

...and if you'd like your very own copy of the
virus, I think I have one laying around somewhere.

Ohh now I wouldn't want you to bother. I know how much you like
keeping your e-mail worms to yourself!

BTW, I *think* I found a solution to this one. I set up a couple
of filters at the server end to forward anything with my ID in
the "To:" or "CC:" filed to another account (no complex filters
available) and delete all else. So far...

fingers crossed my existing e-mail account seems pretty good on the
not-getting-spam front. Unfortunately I did have to give in and use a
munged address on these newsgroups to achieve this though. My last
account, with a public e-mail address, was so ridiculously inundated
that it was getting to be pretty useless for actual e-mail, so even
without the munged e-mail address I still missed most stuff anyone
from the newsgroups sent to me.

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca

Virus email? Richard Dower Homebuilt PC's 5 November 13th 04 04:49 PM
"Microsoft email - virus Echuca Compaq Computers 1 October 18th 04 03:45 AM
Virus checker in Nero 6 Bun Mui Cdr 10 May 19th 04 01:02 PM
DVD-Rom firmware virus infected ? SLO Homebuilt PC's 0 January 3rd 04 01:47 AM
Virus Ron Cook General Hardware 2 October 17th 03 05:18 AM