Packard Bell Legend 105CD - Restore CD Format Number?

Old May 29th 04, 09:08 AM
SonicClub

Default Packard Bell Legend 105CD - Restore CD Format Number?

I went to use system restore and I get this message:

A valid format number was not found.
Please ensure that the PACKARD BELL MASTER CD is
installed in the CD-ROM drive then enter the format
number found on the System Credentials shipped with
your system. If you can not locate the System
Credentials for your system, please contact PACKARD
BELL software support at 1-801-579-0161.
Format #:

Press the 'Enter' key to exit

The phone number? Lets just say I called it and it is no longer valid, it
said it's been disconnected or is no longer in service. I find out
recently that Packard Bell left the US years ago, I don't need to get into
WHY exactly they left since I am sure most of you are aware of it. I will
get to the point, it seems that Packard Bell has left the US, so I can
forget about getting help by phone or any other way. As for the "System
Credentials" thing that is mentioned? I don't know where that is right
now. I got the restore CD and floppy, they work just fine, I just need a
format number. Here's the CD info: PBMMCD10_R1, 170210 Rev. 1. Like I
stated in the subject I got a Packard Bell Legend 105CD PC, it was bought
new in about 1994 or so, Don't go on about it being old, I don't care, I
have way better computers, it would just be fun to mess around with the
old one, you know? Also, I WANT to restore the PC with the factory
settings, programs and all. I want to be able to use all the old programs
like Packard Bell Navigator, etc. Can someone provide me with a format
number that will work? or tell me how to override the screen that asks for
a format number so I can just simply restore the PC? Or perhaps tell me
where I might find the format number if anywhere on the PC? Another
question too, what does the format number determine exactly? Like what if
I wanted to use the restore CD on another PC which was faster and
everything? Is that possible?

By the way, up at the top in that message I copied, where it says "Format
#:" That's where it wants me to manually enter it.

Old May 29th 04, 02:57 PM
Rock On

Hi,

I just restored a Legend 415CD for the very reasons you mentioned. I got a
lot of help from this newsgroup. In case it helps, I'll post the what I did
and the problems and how I got around them.

1. Do a clean install of Windows 98SE -- or Windows 95 if you are a purist.

2. Copy the BU directory from the Master Restore CD to your hard disk.

3. Copy arj.exe and unarj.bat from the DOSMENU directory. Edit unarj.bat
to suit your needs, then run it.

4. Use the INSTALL directory on the CD to install as many programs as you
can. Do not install the ODBC drivers, it f**ks up Navigator.

5. Copy whatever was not installed from the "unarj" directory to the "real"
directories. For instance, when you unarj the ComCentral package, it
creates a CCentral subdircetory and a Windows\System subdirectory. Copy the
files in C:\Unarj\CCentral\Windws\System to your actual Windows system
directory.

6. Restore Navigator from its separate CD. (Or, in my case, Navigator came
on a separate CD.)

My Restore Disk was for a Platinum 55. As I said, I restored a Legend
415CD. Tweaks were necessary. For instance, some packages install specific
drivers that did not match the hardware. The solution was to delete the
device from Device Manager and reboot. Windows 98 had just about every
driver I needed. Those that did not come from Win98 I found on Elector's
Yahoo Group site.

When I first turned on the computer, it would not load drivers for the old
PB CD Rom. I pulled it temporarily and replaced it with a newer CD that
would act as a boot device.

*************

What is funny is that when I first got the Platinum, I couldn't stand all
the "add-on" software including Navigator. Now, I went through all this
work just to have a peak at it. The software is pretty cool for someone new
to computers and I was sorry to see PB pull out of the US market.

Hope this helps,

Rock On

lkaboutcomputing.com...

Old May 29th 04, 06:46 PM
SonicClub

Well, thanks for trying to help, it seemed so promising. The restore CD I
was asking about has the BU folder, but not the DOSMENU folder. The
restore floppy that goes with the CD has Arj.exe, but not Unarj.bat, I
have a restore disc that went to my second Packard Bell PC that was made
in 1998, but even that CD didn't fully match this tutorial you posted. My
newer Packard Bell's restore CD has the DOSMENU folder, but also no BU
folder and no Arj.exe, or Unarj.bat. I'll still try to use your advice to
try to help me use the restore CD's unless you got some other information.
By the way, the restore CD I was asking about had Windows 3.11, so I am
guessing my restore disc must be a little older than yours so maybe a few
other things need to be done, maybe a different way of using the restore
disc, I don't know, got any ideas? Anyway, I appreciate your reply, that
info may end up helping with something, I may just have to figure out what
needs to be done differently, i'm sure using this restore CD couldn't be
too much different than yours, they seem like they're pretty close to the
same time. If you or anyone else has any more help, feel free to post.
Thanks.

Old May 29th 04, 08:23 PM
Rock On

Hi,

The unarj.bat is simple:
******start******
c:\
md bu
y:\ REM Where Y: is the CD's drive
cd\dosmenu
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\d\d.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\e\e.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\f\f.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\h\h.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\i\i.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\j\j.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\k\k.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\l\l.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\m\m.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\n\n.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\o\o.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\p\p.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\q\q.arj c:\
arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\r\r.arj c:\
********end*******

But, you are right. My restore disk was for Win95. If yours is for
win3.11, they may be different.

Rock

lkaboutcomputing.com...

Old May 29th 04, 08:45 PM
Elector

"SonicClub" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
[...]

I have been searching the net for this for you but I am at a dead end,
unless I can find my old systems credentials from my old PB Platinum
Supreme the format number was something like 55555.scr or cre or cse
something along those lines. I cannot remember the last identifier
sorry. Maybe Ben or Metronid can supply that end part after the dot
(.)

I was under the impression that the numbers themselves don't actually
have to match but the last part does.

I will keep looking and report back if I am successful.

Elector

Old May 30th 04, 08:02 AM
SonicClub

Dang...How did that post get put up AGAIN? Sorry, Must've hit refresh, I am
using a site to view this newsgroup and post through here at the moment,
and I suppose hitting refresh after posting re-posted the message. Anyway,
I have searched for how to get the format number for a while now, and the
most I have found is a page on a Packard Bell support site saying it is
like in this one file in the Windows directory, obviously I have looked
for the file and it wasn't there because I freshly installed windows after
the original installation. Here's a link to that page that claims to have
the format number within the file or something:
http://support.packardbell-europe.co...e/ART01509.asp

It would help a lot if I knew exactly what format numbers of that timeline
determined too, I know there are different styles of numbers being setup,
the number could be just one that was assigned to the specific PC, restore
discs, etc. or maybe a certain PC series, or maybe it's a number which
matches something about the hardware to let the computer know that you're
using the restore CD on the right PC, whatever it is, it seems confusing.
There must be some way to hack past that format number message, probably
complicated though. Would it help if I ripped the restore floppy and
posted it online for you to download and try it? I can rip the CD too, but
i'm not sure if you'd want to download a file which is a few hundred megs
or something, heh, let me know though, some of you probably wouldn't mind.
It's like close to 360mb for the restore CD. I tried to get help for this
issue at a official Packard Bell forum, and someone there claims that it's
like a 5 digit number on the back of the machine. I am unable to check
that though since the PC isn't currently with me where I am right now, the
person wasn't positive though since it was an older computer than ones
they have had experience with. Hope this info I have provided helps a bit
more. I have heard some places that the format number is 8 or 9 digits, or
even 5 and 6, I am confused though, maybe all of those answers are correct
depending on the PC, huh?

Old May 30th 04, 12:54 PM
Rock On

Hi Sonic,

What files are listed in the BU\A directory of the Restore CD?

Rock

lkaboutcomputing.com...

Old May 30th 04, 07:28 PM
SonicClub

The BU\A directory on the CD has 45 .scr files, all about 120kb - 130kb,
one of them is more like 110kb. Anyway, they're numbered one after
another, the number the first file has is 555476.SCR, then the next one is
555477.SCR, then 555478.SCR, as you guessed it, just look at the first
file name 555476.SCR, then add 1 number to that number to get the next
number, they're all numbered one after the other, the last file is
555520.SCR, it evenly counts all the way up to that file name number, the
same concept of counting, like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and so
on.. see? The BU directory itself has the folders A, D, E, F, H, I, J, K,
L, M, and N, each folder after A appears to have particles or pieces of
some of the software that came with my computer. I notice there is no B,
C, or G folder, oh well, I suppose that's how they designed the restore
CD. You know...about those numbered .scr files I was naming a while ago,
could any of those possibly be format numbers? in the M folder, there are
some numbers on folders witch match the .scr file numbers, the folders
within the numbered folders have more pieces of programs and stuff though,
but still. The folders in the M folder labeled with simular numbers are
555476, and it does that counting thing again, all the way up to 555483,
so not as many folders as .scr files. I remember reading on this one site
that was giving packard bell help, they said to enter 555477 if it asks
for a format number or something...I tried and tried and it didn't work,
but then one time I don't know what happened, it just started installing
or something, this was a little while back, a month or so ago possibly,
when it supposedly restored I don't think it did it right because some
things seemed messed up or uncompleted, I must've done something wrong,
keep in mind that the files with the numbers are 6 digits, is that how
long format numbers for these computers are? I will try a few and let you
know the result..

Old May 30th 04, 08:53 PM
SonicClub

Well...this is very interesting. My theory was correct, the folders names
are also format numbers, you see, this one I found on a site worked one
time, but next time I tried, it didn't, let me explain what was going
wrong. In order for the format number to work, the restore CD and floppy
both must be present in the drives, but in order for THAT to work, CD-ROM
drivers must be installed, so that the CD drive can be accessed. If the
restore floppy detects the CD then I guess it then has a database of the
format numbers or something, but before I guess what was going wrong is
somehow the CD drive wasn't being detected, so then anything I entered
would be invalid. There you have it, I just solved my own problem, stupid
me, huh? lol. Sorry for putting you guys through the trouble, but I am
sure I would never have figured it out of my own if it wasn't for your
guys's suggestions. And "Rock On", when you told me to check out that
folder, that then got me to explore the other folders and see that a
format number I had tried at one time worked, then didn't work, but then I
saw that the files and folders of some items were named after a format
number..very interesting. Good news is it can be installed on another PC
if I need to, I just have to do some configuration editing so then I can
get into windows and install a different sound and video driver, hah. I
will keep experimenting with the restore CD's and let you know if this
issue has fully been resolved, it appears to have been resolved so far,
but you never know when something could go wrong and I would need help
again, Anyway, thanks guys, and if you have any questions or anything to
say, go ahead and post. I may be posting again too if I have any problems
or questions. At this moment I am using a problem called Virtual PC to
experiment with the restore CD, it allows you to virtally run an operating
system within a window in the main operating system, so I could be running
my standard XP operating system with the original DOS, Windows 3.11,
Windows 95, Windows 98, and so on. It needs a powerful PC to work very
good though I think, luckily I got that. My original PC is currently not
in this location though so I am un-aware of when I will get to test it on
the real thing.