Over 100 Registry errors identified on new Dell

Old December 3rd 03, 10:38 PM
Dick

Default Over 100 Registry errors identified on new Dell

My new Dell Dimension 2400 computer came with AOL 9.0, WordPerfect
Office 11, Quick Time, MS Money 2004, RealOne Player, QuickTime, Norton
Antivirus 2003, and Sun Java preinstalled.
I have subsequently installing MS Office 2003, Norton System Works 2003,
Adobe Reader 6.0, Mozilla 1.5, WinZip, HP PhotoSmart Printer software,
and Iomega Backup and installed all of the Office 2003 and Windows XP
critical updates.
I ran Norton WinDoctor on my new Dell computer and had well over 100
problems were identified. There were quite a few Microsoft Java VM
entries left over that I was able to get rid of and I also got rid of or
corrected entries where I felt like I was confident in what I was doing
and agreed with the Norton WinDoctor recommendation.
The biggest problem I have left is with the 21 Missing or Invalid
ActiveX/COM SubKey Entries that refer to an invalid application
identifier which does not give any program or file related information
in relation to the identified problem.
I tried doing a mass update following all of the WinDoctors
recommendations in the beginning and promptly lost my Dell Support
Alerts and went back and put everything back in and started looking at
everyone of them one at a time.
So now I am down to only about 40 problems listed below which I could
use some help with. Norton WinDoctor is recommending that all of the
remaining 40 or so entries be deleted.

Missing Microsoft Shared DDL Errors: (not anywhere on hard drive)
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DIMM.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msxml3a.dll

Missing Help File Entries: (not anywhere on hard drive)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\scanpst.hlp

Missing or Invalid Application Entries: (not anywhere on hard drive)
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\cmmgr32.exe
refers to an invalid application path, "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmmgr32.exe"
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MOH.exe
refers to an invalid application path, "C:\Program Files\NetWaiting\MOH.exe"
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\VcSetup.exe
refers to an invalid application path,
"C:\DOCUME~1\MeMyComputer\LOCALS~1\Temp\pft62.tmp\ VcSetup.exe"

Invalid File Extensions:
.wll "WordAddin8"

Invalid ActiveX/COM Entries
I have 21 of these entries listed: (No program or file related info give)
Missing or Invalid ActiveX/COM SubKey Entries:
The key: "CLSID\{.......}" refers to an invalid application
Identifier, "{.......}"

Missing or Invalid Key: ADCS
ProgID, ADCS refers to an invalid ActiveX/COM entry
"{89E30300-764D-11d0-B282-00A0C90F56FC"

Missing or Invalid Key: AtWorkRendering\shell\PrintTo\command
The key, AtWorkRendering\shell\PrintTo\command refers to an invalid
command entry, "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Dell\Alert\0."

Missing or Invalid Key: ComPlusMetaData.MsCorHost
ProgID, ComPlusMetaData.MsCorHost refers to an invalid ActiveX/COM
entry, "{727CDF4F-3BA0-11D3-8738-00C04F79ED0D}"

Missing or Invalid Key: ComPlusMetaData.MsCorHost.2
ProgID, ComPlusMetaData.MsCorHost.2 refers to an invalid ActiveX/COM
entry, "{727CDF4F-3BA0-11D3-8738-00C04F79ED0D}"

Missing or Invalid Key: Connection Manager Profile\shell\open\command
The key, Connection Manager Profile\shell\open\command refers to an
invalid command entry, "C:\WINDOWS\System32\CMMGR32.EXE "%1"

Missing or Invalid Key: HeaderFooter.HeaderFooter.1
ProgID, HeaderFooter.HeaderFooter.1 refers to an invalid ActiveX/COM
entry, "{30c3f6cd-98b5-11cf-bb82-00aa00bdce0b}"

Missing or Invalid Key: igfx.CUITestConfig.1
ProgID, igfx.CUITestConfig.1 refers to an invalid ActiveX/COM entry, "c."

Missing or Invalid Key: MailFileAtt
ProgID, MailFileAtt refers to an invalid ActiveX/COM entry,
"{00020D05-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

Missing or Invalid Key: mapifvbx.object
ProgID, mapifvbx.object refers to an invalid ActiveX/COM entry,
"{41116C00-8B90-101B-96CD-00AA003B14FC}"

Missing or Invalid Key: "mapifvbx.object.1"
ProgID, mapifvbx.object.1 refers to an invalid ActiveX/COM entry,
"{41116C00-8B90-101B-96CD-00AA003B14FC}"

Missing or Invalid Key: SymWriter.pdb
ProgID, SymWriter.pdb refers to an invalid ActiveX/COM entry,
"{520DC67A-752E-11D3-8D56-00C04F680B2B}"

Missing or Invalid Key: WBEMComConnection
ProgID, WBEMComConnection," refers to an invalid ActiveX/COM entry,
"SOFTWARE\CLASSES\WBEMComConnection"

Missing or Invalid Key: WBEMComLocator
ProgID, WBEMComLocator refers to an invalid ActiveX/COM entry,
"SOFTWARE\CLASSES\WBEMComLocator"

Missing or Invalid Key:
CLSID\{42071714-76d4-11d1-8b24-00a0c9068ff3}\InprocServer32
The key, CLSID\{42071714-76d4-11d1-8b24-00a0c9068ff3}\InprocServer32
refers to a missing file, "deskpan.dll"

Missing or Invalid Key:
"CLSID\{4D2F086C-6EA3-101B-A18A-00AA00446E07}\InprocServer"
The key, CLSID\{4D2F086C-6EA3-101B-A18A-00AA00446E07}\InprocServer
refers to a missing file, "mapi.dll."

Missing or Invalid Key:
CLSID\{88E729D6-BDC1-11D1-BD2A-00C04FB9603F}\InprocServer32
The key, CLSID\{88E729D6-BDC1-11D1-BD2A-00C04FB9603F}\InprocServer32
refers to a missing file, "fde.dll."

Missing or Invalid Key:
"CLSID\{A2524FF1-50C1-11d3-8EA3-0090271BECDD}\InprocServer32"
The key, CLSID\{A2524FF1-50C1-11d3-8EA3-0090271BECDD}\InprocServer32
refers to a missing file, "c:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office
11\Programs\."

Thanks Dick

Old December 4th 03, 12:16 AM
Tom Swift

A little knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge at all...

Tom Swift

"Dick" wrote in message
My new Dell Dimension 2400 computer came enormous snip

Old December 4th 03, 12:40 AM
Dick

Meaning?

Dick

Old December 4th 03, 01:22 AM
David H. Lipman

You seek problems where none may exist !

Albeit, I have to admit as a corp. customer I have learned NOT to accept the factory
pre-installation of any OS on any platform. I have too often seen bugs introduced, at the
factory, and software I don't need or want pre-installed. Why should I accept THEIR
interpretation of what we need ?

For example, on a IBM ThinkPad with a 6GB hard disk. From the factory -- Why was it
partitioned as a 2GB "C:" and a 4GB "D:" drive ?

Why do we need all that crap that Sony installed on their VAIO notebooks loading so many
programs upon startup that little RAM was left for the true applications that were required
by our end-users.

Finally was the problem that Dell introduced at the factory and here is that story in
short...

We ordered Dell GX400 and GX240 platforms. The GX400 with a Samsung DVD/CDRW and the GX240
with separate DVD and CDRW drives. All using Roxio/EZ CD Creator software. They came from
the factory pre-installed with Win2K SP1. Based upon our corp. Security requirements they
were required to have the latest Service Pack installed. At that time it was SP2. a CDROM
was included with Dell branded Win2K SP2 but it did not come installed on the platforms,
just shipped on a CDROM with them. Roxio software worked with Win2K SP1. When SP2 was
installed on the platform it killed Roxio and no CDROM could be burned on either platform.
Dell made us all sorts of promises and representatives even came to our office to discuss
the problem but they failed to resolve the problem. The resolution -- dump their factory
installation completely. When I installed Win2K SP1 from scratch and updated to SP2 and our
suite of software, Roxio worked OK and was able to burn a CDROM. When I used the Win2K SP2
CDROM and installed it from scratch and our suite of software, Roxio worked with no problem.
We have had no problems since.

Lessons learned...

I no longer accept factory pre-installation of *any* OS on *any* platform. I install the
OS with the latest Service Pack from scratch, install our suite of software, configure all
aspects of the software, SysPrep the platform and then Ghost the platform.

Dave

Old December 4th 03, 01:10 PM
Keith S.

I've had Norton identify a great deal of errors on perfectly functioning
systems.

I have never been certain how valid the error report is.

Can anyone more knowledgeable comment on Norton System works error reporting
accuracy?

Old December 4th 03, 10:39 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Dick wrote:

Tom Swift wrote:

"Dick" wrote

My new Dell Dimension 2400 computer came enormous snip

A little knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge at all...

Meaning?

In my case, it would have meant that your post was less than
informative. The implication, as written, was that you ran the Norton
System Doctor *after* you had installed all of your software on top of
the bundled software provided on the new Dell computer. Thus, there
is no certainty as to *where and when* those "Over 100 Registry errors
...." were introduced.

Did you install Norton System Works as the first program installed on
your new Dell?

Did you run Norton System Doctor immediately after installing Norton
System Works?

If so, how may registry errors did it register at that time?

Did you run Norton System Doctor immediately after installing each
WinXP critical update, or even once after installing them in bulk?

If so, how many registry errors were added by each critical
update/your bulk install of all critical updates.

Did you run Norton System Doctor immediately after installing *each*
of the other programs on your new Dell? And after installing each, or
at least after bulk installing all of them, MS Office Update once you
had MS Office installed?

If so, how many registry errors were added by each program?

Are you starting to get the point? Taken in isolation, after a
one-time run following your install a huge amount of software and
software updates, your "Over 100 Registry errors identified on a new
Dell" is rendered meaningless. The OS and MS Office updates alone
could have resulted in a lot of the registry detritus - IME MS has
been notorious for that, as I've often seen it when doing
updates/upgrades of either Windows or Office. For that matter,
WordPerfect, whether stand-alone from WordPerfect Corp, or the suite
as it evolved through intermediate owners and Corel, hasn't always
been tidy about cleaning up after itself.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old December 5th 03, 12:19 AM
Robert

I find that Norton Disk Doctor causes more problems than it solves.
I have always found that it makes PC's really slow - this week it basically
made a P4 2.6 unusuable when playing a DVD.

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote in message
Dick wrote:

"Dick" wrote

Old December 5th 03, 12:45 AM
Ogden Johnson III

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

In my case, it would have meant that your post was less than
informative. The implication, as written, was that you ran the Norton
System Doctor *after* you had installed all of your software on top of
the bundled software provided on the new Dell computer. Thus, there
is no certainty as to *where and when* those "Over 100 Registry errors
..." were introduced.

Erm. Replace Norton System Doctor with Norton *Win*Doctor, wherever
it appeared in my post.

[Now writing on the blackboard 1000 times, "Norton WinDoctor is the
registry checker, not Norton System Doctor."]
Old December 5th 03, 01:07 AM
Tom Swift

If the OP possessed sufficient knowledge of the Windows registry to decide
that something was an 'error', he wouldn't be using a toy like Norton
WinDoctor.

The overwhelming majority of the items that WinDoctor returns from scanning
a properly maintained Windows XP installation are utterly benign, and to
call them 'errors' and to be alarmed that there are so many 'errors' shows
that the OP has a way to go in understanding the registry, and therefore,
would do well to refrain from making posts that betray his lack of
understanding. (His overly long post also shows that he should read a FAQ on
making a good post.)

Having said that, the registry is a fascinating and mysterious place for
many, and the OP has certainly demonstrated his interest in learning about
it. Fortunately, there are excellent books and web sites that have been
written on the subject, and the OP can look forward to many hours of
enjoyable reading.

Tom Swift

Old December 5th 03, 03:48 AM
PC Gladiator

You could have just said this to begin with. In a much less condescending
way though. Even you didn't know what the registry was at some point so cut
some slack.

s.com...