usb version for presario?

Old February 25th 04, 12:18 AM
SL

Default usb version for presario?

Hello all,

I hope Ive got the right ng. I have a presario 6320us at my office. I got
a new copier/scanner that reported I did not have a high speed usb port. I
imagine it means 2.0. It reported during the installation that I could
"click to know more" at the time. I did not want to do so as I hate
interupting usb drivers and software installs with the windows xp pop up
windows.

I have tried compaqs website, but its not that specific on what type of usb
version I have. The computer is also updated with all the latest drivers
etc via the windows update feature.

Is this computer able to utilize the "higher speed usb" the printer can make
use of? If so, is it as simple as a driver update or a bios tweak?

Thanks group,
SL

Old February 25th 04, 12:29 AM
HH

Most likely you do not have USB 2.0 on the 6320US. There is no mention of
USB 2.0 in the QuickSpecs. No driver update or BIOS upgrade will give 2.0 to
a machine that doesn't have it. You could, however, install a PCI USB 2.0
card. They are not expensive.
HH

Old February 25th 04, 03:39 AM
Tom Scales

Oh, I wouldn't bother. The printer is unlikely to take real advantage of the
faster speed. Just use it on the USB1.1 port and ignore the message.

Tom
. net...

Old February 25th 04, 05:32 AM
Steve W.

6320 would have USB 1.1 ports. To add USB 2.0 ports you just need to
install a USB 2.0 card.
Real easy to do and not very expensive.

--
Steve W.

Old February 25th 04, 03:14 PM
SL

I appreciate the info folks...all of you. The printer does seem to do very
nicely at the current speed. It would probably do more harm than good
trying to make it move that .02 seconds faster

thanks,
Sean L
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Oh, I wouldn't bother. The printer is unlikely to take real advantage of

the
faster speed. Just use it on the USB1.1 port and ignore the message.

Tom
. net...