Virus "backdoor.sdbot.gen " Removal

Old February 8th 04, 12:14 PM
OleDawg

Default Virus "backdoor.sdbot.gen " Removal

I get a screen from Norton on boot up stating that I have this virus
imbedded in a Mstask32.exe file in the windows (WinXP )folder.Norton
reports it but dont remove it.The restore funtion is turned off .Im
not using the E-Mail on this computer as Im afraid of passing the
virus on to someone else.
Old February 8th 04, 02:04 PM
Roy Coorne

OleDawg schrieb:
I get a screen from Norton on boot up stating that I have this virus
imbedded in a Mstask32.exe file in the windows (WinXP )folder.Norton
reports it but dont remove it.The restore funtion is turned off .Im
not using the E-Mail on this computer as Im afraid of passing the
virus on to someone else.

Looks like Symantec have no remedy:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...dyn/40245.html

If it does no harm... o.k.... otherwise: format C: :-(

(I didn't consult Dr Google in depth;-)

Roy
Old February 8th 04, 03:54 PM
Dave C.

"OleDawg" flipperf wrote in message
I get a screen from Norton on boot up stating that I have this virus
imbedded in a Mstask32.exe file in the windows (WinXP )folder.Norton
reports it but dont remove it.The restore funtion is turned off .Im
not using the E-Mail on this computer as Im afraid of passing the
virus on to someone else.

Mcafee says you should delete any file which contains this virus. If
mstask32.exe is an important system file, I could find no reference to it on
microsoft.com. The only references I found to it on a general web search
were all related to virus or trojan. I say nuke that puppy. -Dave

Old February 8th 04, 09:34 PM
Andy H

"Dave C." wrote in message

"OleDawg" flipperf wrote in message
I get a screen from Norton on boot up stating that I have this virus
imbedded in a Mstask32.exe file in the windows (WinXP )folder.Norton
reports it but dont remove it.The restore funtion is turned off .Im
not using the E-Mail on this computer as Im afraid of passing the
virus on to someone else.

Mcafee says you should delete any file which contains this virus. If
mstask32.exe is an important system file, I could find no reference to it

on
microsoft.com. The only references I found to it on a general web search
were all related to virus or trojan. I say nuke that puppy. -Dave

mstask is a .dll on my XP, around 245k. If you need this file, get another
copy from someone else.

Old February 9th 04, 07:01 PM
OleDawg

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:34:53 -0000, "Andy H" wrote:

"Dave C." wrote in message

"OleDawg" flipperf wrote in message
I get a screen from Norton on boot up stating that I have this virus
imbedded in a Mstask32.exe file in the windows (WinXP )folder.Norton
reports it but dont remove it.The restore funtion is turned off .Im
not using the E-Mail on this computer as Im afraid of passing the
virus on to someone else.

Mcafee says you should delete any file which contains this virus. If
mstask32.exe is an important system file, I could find no reference to it

on
microsoft.com. The only references I found to it on a general web search
were all related to virus or trojan. I say nuke that puppy. -Dave

mstask is a .dll on my XP, around 245k. If you need this file, get another
copy from someone else.

Thanks but nothing works so far.When I try to delete mstask32.exe Iget
an "access denied screen"System is due for formatting but would like
to kill this one for futire reference.Learned so far that there are
virus' that norton cant handle.Also tried a suggestion from a "sophos
" web site but didnnt work either .Thanks for suggestions

Flipper

Old February 9th 04, 09:01 PM
Dave C.

Thanks but nothing works so far.When I try to delete mstask32.exe Iget
an "access denied screen"System is due for formatting but would like
to kill this one for futire reference.Learned so far that there are
virus' that norton cant handle.Also tried a suggestion from a "sophos
" web site but didnnt work either .Thanks for suggestions

Flipper

RIGHT-click the file, choose properties, uncheck "read only". Then boot to
SAFE mode and try to delete that file again. -Dave

Old February 9th 04, 11:40 PM
OleDawg

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:01:55 -0500, "Dave C."
wrote:

Thanks but nothing works so far.When I try to delete mstask32.exe Iget
an "access denied screen"System is due for formatting but would like
to kill this one for futire reference.Learned so far that there are
virus' that norton cant handle.Also tried a suggestion from a "sophos
" web site but didnnt work either .Thanks for suggestions

Flipper

RIGHT-click the file, choose properties, uncheck "read only". Then boot to
SAFE mode and try to delete that file again. -Dave

Fixed ! I did exactly as above and was able to delete the
file.Thanks(.Now why couldnt Norton do that ??)

Thanks to everyone who took an interest in helping.

Flipper
Old February 10th 04, 12:48 AM
Dave C.

Fixed ! I did exactly as above and was able to delete the
file.Thanks(.Now why couldnt Norton do that ??)

Thanks to everyone who took an interest in helping.

Flipper

Now run a complete virus scan again. -Dave