Windows 7 oem vs retail

Old April 10th 10, 12:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
willbill[_2_]

Default Windows 7 oem vs retail

Windows 7 oem vs retail

Can the less expensive oem version be
installed by a DIY person like me?

I'm interested in the 64 bit Pro version of Win 7
due to it's lower cost; recently $140 from Newegg

Is a separately purchased key or something else
like that needed?

I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.

Bill
Old April 10th 10, 05:02 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Myers

On Apr 9, 7:51*pm, willbill wrote:
Windows 7 oem vs retail

Can the less expensive oem version be
installed by a DIY person like me?

I'm interested in the 64 bit Pro version of Win 7
due to it's lower cost; recently $140 from Newegg

Is a separately purchased key or something else
like that needed?

I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.

In theory, at least, an OEM version can be installed on only one
machine--ever. The retail version can be installed on only one
machine--at a time.

That's the only difference.

Robert.

Old April 13th 10, 06:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Ar Q

"Robert Myers" wrote in message
On Apr 9, 7:51 pm, willbill wrote:
Windows 7 oem vs retail

Can the less expensive oem version be
installed by a DIY person like me?

I'm interested in the 64 bit Pro version of Win 7
due to it's lower cost; recently $140 from Newegg

Is a separately purchased key or something else
like that needed?

I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.

In theory, at least, an OEM version can be installed on only one
machine--ever. The retail version can be installed on only one
machine--at a time.

That's the only difference.

Robert.
~~~
I bought a 32 bit Pro version of Win 7 from EBay. Only spent $56. Have
no problem at all.

If it is a fresh installation (not upgrade from Windows Vista, and it is
one time thing (you won't install on another machine using this copy),
you should buy OEM. And you should buy from EBay because you are buying
from end users who have copies they don't want, instead of retail stores
like Newegg which will charge you full OEM price.

Note that some OEM like Dell and Acer put only one copy on the disk (32
bits or 64 bits) and the other OEM like Toshiba and Sony put both copy
(32bits and 64bits) on one disk.

Old April 13th 10, 08:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Nate Edel

Ar Q wrote:
If it is a fresh installation (not upgrade from Windows Vista, and it is
one time thing (you won't install on another machine using this copy),
you should buy OEM. And you should buy from EBay because you are buying
from end users who have copies they don't want, instead of retail stores
like Newegg which will charge you full OEM price.

This will often result in a license violation (even in the "spirit of the
thing" sense) as plenty of these are OEM disk copies coming from machines
with preinstalled "royalty OEM" versions that did not need activation with
the serial number you're "buying" from them.

Which is not to say it won't work.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
preferred email |
Old April 21st 10, 07:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Mike S.

In article ,
Nate Edel wrote:
Ar Q wrote:
If it is a fresh installation (not upgrade from Windows Vista, and it is
one time thing (you won't install on another machine using this copy),
you should buy OEM. And you should buy from EBay because you are buying
from end users who have copies they don't want, instead of retail stores
like Newegg which will charge you full OEM price.

This will often result in a license violation (even in the "spirit of the
thing" sense) as plenty of these are OEM disk copies coming from machines
with preinstalled "royalty OEM" versions that did not need activation with
the serial number you're "buying" from them.

Which is not to say it won't work.

....at least at first.

With the new WAT "call home every 90 days" feature, it may only be a
period of time before that eBay license key is blacklisted, or WAT detects
that your installed cert does not match the brand of your BIOS and you go
into the "not authentic" black hole.

Old May 5th 10, 08:29 AM
JohnKSmith JohnKSmith is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbill[_2_] View Post
Windows 7 oem vs retail

Can the less expensive oem version be
installed by a DIY person like me?

I'm interested in the 64 bit Pro version of Win 7
due to it's lower cost; recently $140 from Newegg

Is a separately purchased key or something else
like that needed?

I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.

Bill
Hi Exports
I don't fully understand how Windows 7 Retail vs OEM. What I understand is OEM is locked to one computer.
__________________
Oxygen Plant | Oxygen Plants
Old May 5th 10, 06:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Nate Edel

JohnKSmith wrote:
'willbill[_2_ Wrote:
Can the less expensive oem version be
installed by a DIY person like me?

Yes. Just be sure your computer is in the final configuration you're going
to run with before activating it (/allowing it to activate online.)

Is a separately purchased key or something else
like that needed?
I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.

No. The disk comes with the key - indeed, what you're purchasing is really
the key, the disk could be used to install a retail copy if you had a
second, retail key.

I don't fully understand how Windows 7 Retail vs OEM. What I
understand is OEM is locked to one computer.

Yup.

Old May 9th 10, 08:26 AM
JohnKSmith JohnKSmith is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbill[_2_] View Post
Windows 7 oem vs retail

Can the less expensive oem version be
installed by a DIY person like me?

I'm interested in the 64 bit Pro version of Win 7
due to it's lower cost; recently $140 from Newegg

Is a separately purchased key or something else
like that needed?

I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.

Bill
Hi everyone
I was curious what the difference was between oem and retail version software. Here is what I came up with. The oem version can only be used once on that system and no tech support from M.S. The retail version can be installed in multiple computers, one at a time.
__________________
Oxygen Plant | Oxygen Plants
Old May 9th 10, 03:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

On Sun, 9 May 2010 08:26:12 +0100, JohnKSmith
wrote:

'willbill[_2_ Wrote:
;1032688']Windows 7 oem vs retail

Can the less expensive oem version be
installed by a DIY person like me?

I'm interested in the 64 bit Pro version of Win 7
due to it's lower cost; recently $140 from Newegg

Is a separately purchased key or something else
like that needed?

I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.

Bill

Hi everyone
I was curious what the difference was between oem and retail version
software. Here is what I came up with. The oem version can only be used
once on that system and no tech support from M.S. The retail version can
be installed in multiple computers, one at a time.

....and no tech support from MS.
Old May 12th 10, 06:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
MCheu

On 10/04/2010 12:02 AM, Robert Myers wrote:
On Apr 9, 7:51 pm, wrote:
Windows 7 oem vs retail

Can the less expensive oem version be
installed by a DIY person like me?

I'm interested in the 64 bit Pro version of Win 7
due to it's lower cost; recently $140 from Newegg

Is a separately purchased key or something else
like that needed?

I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.

In theory, at least, an OEM version can be installed on only one
machine--ever. The retail version can be installed on only one
machine--at a time.

That's the only difference.

Robert.

There is actually at least one more difference and it's a pretty big
deal -- or at least, I expect it to become a big deal within a year.
With the OEM version, you have to choose whether to buy the 32 bit
version or 64 bit version. With the retail version, you get discs for
both 32-bit and 64 bit versions in the box, and the key works for both.

The reason this is a big deal is that the 32 bit version has a 4GB
memory limit, and doesn't support partitions above 2TB even with an EFI
equipped motherboard. You might notice that the most popular memory
configuration is already at that limit, as are the largest consumer
grade hard drives. I figure there will be a mass migration to 64 bit
windows within a year or so.

That makes buying OEM win7-32 less of a deal right now. It costs about
$100 retail for either version of OEM windows7 Home Premium. The
retail version costs $200 for the Home Premium.

CPU Retail / OWM Des Homebuilt PC's 6 January 11th 08 02:03 AM
OEM vs Retail XP Pro jeh Homebuilt PC's 320 May 9th 05 09:33 AM
Windows 'XP Home Full retail, cheapest price? Gordon Walker UK Computer Vendors 2 November 17th 03 12:31 PM
retail HSF or not? scl Overclocking AMD Processors 6 September 20th 03 03:36 AM
Retail box or OEM Paul the D Homebuilt PC's 6 August 31st 03 10:32 PM