WinDbg: Unable to get verifier list

Old January 10th 10, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Yousuf Khan

Default WinDbg: Unable to get verifier list

I've been attempting to get to the bottom of a recurring BSOD crash
happening on my system. I've already had 4 crashes so far over the past
two weeks. So I've identified that NTOSKRNL.EXE is involved in all of
them so far. It always somewhere in the stack. So I enabled Driver
Verifier on NTOSKRNL, as well as HAL.DLL, NTFS.SYS, and FLTMGR.SYS which
were also identified on the stack during various of the events.

Okay so I had my latest crash yesterday, and it occurred on NTOSKRNL as
well. The Verifier was already enabled on the system prior to this
crash, and then when go to Windbg and execute the "!verifier" command,
it comes back with the message, "Unable to get verifier list". Why not,
it should be enabled?

When I check them on the command-prompt I get the following output back,
and they confirm that all of the files are being monitored. So can
somebody familiar with Driver Verifier and Windbg help me out here?

Yousuf Khan

***

verifier /query

10/01/2010, 3:30:34 PM
Level: 0000009B
RaiseIrqls: 314843045
AcquireSpinLocks: 1893615496
SynchronizeExecutions: 0
AllocationsAttempted: 90514901
AllocationsSucceeded: 90514901
AllocationsSucceededSpecialPool: 7614086
AllocationsWithNoTag: 0
AllocationsFailed: 0
AllocationsFailedDeliberately: 0
Trims: 2452146
UnTrackedPool: 2872921

Verified drivers:

Name: ntoskrnl.exe, loads: 1, unloads: 0
CurrentPagedPoolAllocations: 83397
CurrentNonPagedPoolAllocations: 77485
PeakPagedPoolAllocations: 87305
PeakNonPagedPoolAllocations: 77674
PagedPoolUsageInBytes: 49624396
NonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 11791484
PeakPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 49827760
PeakNonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 12139000

Name: hal.dll, loads: 1, unloads: 0
CurrentPagedPoolAllocations: 0
CurrentNonPagedPoolAllocations: 4
PeakPagedPoolAllocations: 8
PeakNonPagedPoolAllocations: 6
PagedPoolUsageInBytes: 0
NonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 992
PeakPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 768
PeakNonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 32784

Name: fltmgr.sys, loads: 1, unloads: 0
CurrentPagedPoolAllocations: 2
CurrentNonPagedPoolAllocations: 7161
PeakPagedPoolAllocations: 16
PeakNonPagedPoolAllocations: 7173
PagedPoolUsageInBytes: 16
NonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 1166244
PeakPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 3440
PeakNonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 1169508

Name: ntfs.sys, loads: 1, unloads: 0
CurrentPagedPoolAllocations: 32443
CurrentNonPagedPoolAllocations: 28514
PeakPagedPoolAllocations: 33133
PeakNonPagedPoolAllocations: 29174
PagedPoolUsageInBytes: 9261776
NonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 1880368
PeakPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 9472944
PeakNonPagedPoolUsageInBytes: 1965028
Old January 10th 10, 10:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Jose[_2_]

On Jan 10, 4:49*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
[...]

If you are using the small memory dump you will have that message.

You need to adjust your Startup and Recovery Debugging information to
do a complete memory dump and try again with a new dump file.

Did you get nothing useful from !analyze -v
Old January 10th 10, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Mark Hobley[_2_]

Yousuf Khan wrote:
I've been attempting to get to the bottom of a recurring BSOD crash
happening on my system. I've already had 4 crashes so far over the past
two weeks. So I've identified that NTOSKRNL.EXE is involved in all of
them so far.

If you think the problem is with the IBM PC hardware chips, then I would
boot the system with an Ubuntu live CD, and see if that operates normally.
If it does, then the problem that you are experiencing is probably
software related. In my experience, the blue screen of death is usually a
software problem. I have no known fixes for this.

Is this a new system?
Or is it a system that has been working previously and now crashes more often?
Have you changed something on the system?
Has the harware changed?
Has any software been updated? (Beware of automatic updates)
Try disabling some hardware (sound drivers, network interfaces), and switching
to a standard VGA display setting, if the system lets you do this.
(On some systems it is necessary to remove pin 12 from the VGA cable).

Okay so I had my latest crash yesterday

Some systems do crash several times a day.

If all else fails, I would look at migration to an open source based
system.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

Old January 11th 10, 04:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Jose wrote:
If you are using the small memory dump you will have that message.

You need to adjust your Startup and Recovery Debugging information to
do a complete memory dump and try again with a new dump file.

Ah, I see, okay, then I'll go change that then.

Did you get nothing useful from !analyze -v

Well yes, I found out that NTOSKRNL is involved in all of them. :-)

Yousuf Khan
Old January 11th 10, 05:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Mark Hobley wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
I've been attempting to get to the bottom of a recurring BSOD crash
happening on my system. I've already had 4 crashes so far over the past
two weeks. So I've identified that NTOSKRNL.EXE is involved in all of
them so far.

If you think the problem is with the IBM PC hardware chips, then I would
boot the system with an Ubuntu live CD, and see if that operates normally.

You don't have to tell me twice about that, as the system is already
running the latest Ubuntu in multi-boot. The problem doesn't occur on
Ubuntu, so far as I can tell, however it doesn't run Ubuntu for very
long periods of time either. The Windows crashes are spaced out 3 or 4
days apart, and I can't run Ubuntu on it for this long to test it. This
particular system is a home server, it runs a few background apps that
are only available on Windows, so it is limited to running Ubuntu only
occasionally, like for example when Windows crashes. :-)

If it does, then the problem that you are experiencing is probably
software related. In my experience, the blue screen of death is usually a
software problem. I have no known fixes for this.

Is this a new system?

No, it's a pretty mature system now. I built it and upgrade it myself.
It's an AMD A64X2-4200+ w/ 4GB RAM, and it runs in either 32-bit WinXP
SP3 or 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10.

Or is it a system that has been working previously and now crashes more often?

Yes.

Have you changed something on the system?
Has the harware changed?
Has any software been updated? (Beware of automatic updates)

Actually, the only change that I made to the system is that I added a
second external USB HD to it. It had a previous USB HD already attached
to it before, which is still attached to it, but then I picked up a
second one right after Boxing Day. Come to think of it, the first crash
occurred just a couple of days after that.

I'm willing to entertain the possibility that this new external drive is
somehow to blame, but I don't see why. It's just using a standard
Microsoft USB Mass Storage driver, and so was the previous external
drive. I don't think it could be due to power supply issues as I
upgraded the system's power supply early last year to a high-capacity
Zalman 650W unit.

Yousuf Khan
Old January 11th 10, 05:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

Yousuf Khan writes:

Mark Hobley wrote:

Is this a new system?

No, it's a pretty mature system now. I built it and upgrade it
myself. It's an AMD A64X2-4200+ w/ 4GB RAM, and it runs in either
32-bit WinXP SP3 or 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10.

Are you using ECC-RAM? I've seen 'unexplainable' crashes on an old
non-ECC machine that was caused by memory corruption. The problem
increased over time until I replaced the system with an ECC-enabled
system.

If you don't use ECC, try memtest86 and/or unplugging some of the RAM
modules.

Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen khp(at)harrekilde(dot)dk
Old January 11th 10, 07:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Mark Hobley[_2_]

Yousuf Khan wrote:
The Windows crashes are spaced out 3 or 4 days apart, and I can't run
Ubuntu on it for this long to test it. This
particular system is a home server, it runs a few background apps that
are only available on Windows, so it is limited to running Ubuntu only
occasionally, like for example when Windows crashes. :-)

To run a Windows application in Ubuntu:

apt-get install wine

With the Windows program in the cdrom drive:

wine e:\setup.exe

It's not difficult, once you get into it
You will soon be running just Ubuntu! Forget that Microsoft Windows crap!

I know several Microsoft Windows users who have switched to Ubuntu over here.

And ... because you are running a server ... It would be better to use a Linux
based system. They do more, are more stable, and generally better suited to
server applications.

http://markhobley.yi.org/mswin/hastalavista/uptime.html

(I am told that Slackware is the best for server side usage. I use Debian here
but sometimes there are problems with bugs creeping in when testing becomes
stable, and the system is upgraded to the current stable version.)

Mark.

Old January 11th 10, 12:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Jose[_2_]

*
* You need to adjust your Startup and Recovery Debugging information to
* do a complete memory dump and try again with a new dump file.

Ah, I see, okay, then I'll go change that then.

Did you get nothing useful from !analyze -v

Well yes, I found out that NTOSKRNL is involved in all of them. :-)

* * * * Yousuf Khan

The ntoskrnl.exe will show up as the "Probably caused by" frequently
but that in itself is generally not the problem.

If you suspect ntoskrnl.exe, replace it then you will know what it is
not. If you suspect your other files, replace them too.

I would be looking more in the Bugcheck Analysis STACK TEXT section.
Old January 11th 10, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Jose[_2_]

On Jan 11, 12:19*am, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen
wrote:
Yousuf Khan writes:
Mark Hobley wrote:

Is this a new system?

No, it's a pretty mature system now. I built it and upgrade it
myself. It's an AMD A64X2-4200+ w/ 4GB RAM, and it runs in either
32-bit WinXP SP3 or 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10.

Are you using ECC-RAM? I've seen 'unexplainable' crashes on an old
non-ECC machine that was caused by memory corruption. *The problem
increased over time until I replaced the system with an ECC-enabled
system.

If you don't use ECC, try memtest86 and/or unplugging some of the RAM
modules.

Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen khp(at)harrekilde(dot)dk

Hopefully you mean memtest86+ which will certainly not hurt to run!

If someone says to run memtest86, you can say that you know memtest86+
supercedes memtest86 and here's why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest86

The file and instructions are he

http://www.memtest.org/
Old January 11th 10, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Yousuf Khan

Jose wrote:
The ntoskrnl.exe will show up as the "Probably caused by" frequently
but that in itself is generally not the problem.

I agree, actually my main purpose in finding out the root cause of this
is find out if it is caused by hardware rather than software.

I recently added an external USB hard drive to my system, and the
problem started a few days afterward. But there is nothing special about
this external drive, it is just a bog standard drive using the bog
standard Microsoft Mass Storage drivers. And there was a previous bog
standard external drive that is also running on the system which was not
causing a problem.

I'm also looking at the possibility that the problem is caused by the
chipset, an Nvidia Nforce model, which has had nothing but weird issues
with USB devices since I got this motherboard. Ever since I got this
motherboard, I've seen that some devices get recognized as USB 2.0 while
others which should be recognized as USB 2.0 get recognized as USB 1.1.
I've tried the same peripherals on another computer of mine, using an
ATI chipset, and they get recognized properly. So I think the chipset
itself has a faulty implementation of the USB specs.

If you suspect ntoskrnl.exe, replace it then you will know what it is
not. If you suspect your other files, replace them too.

In the past when I've had BSODs, it was relatively easy to narrow the
source of the problem down to some third party driver, and update that
driver. But now these are the actual core Windows kernel and related
files, so I am having to do more indepth analysis than I normally would do.

I would be looking more in the Bugcheck Analysis STACK TEXT section.

I actually previously posted a message on one these newsgroups, where I
posted the summaries of the first three Stop errors I got, but there was
little help that came back. I'll post them again right now (don't have
access to the latest crash summary, since I'm posting this from a
different system).

Yousuf Khan

***
The following are the summaries of each mini-dump:

(1) 31/12/2009 9:27:06 PM
Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code : 0x10000050
Parameter 1 : 0x8b55ffaf
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0x804f1b2c
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+2aa8
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL

Stack:
hal.dll+2aa8
ntoskrnl.exe+1db2c

(2) 02/01/2010 9:49:05 PM
Bug Check String : BAD_POOL_HEADER
Bug Check Code : 0x00000019
Parameter 1 : 0x00000020
Parameter 2 : 0x8942aab8
Parameter 3 : 0x8942af40
Parameter 4 : 0x8a915628
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+6067a

Stack:
Ntfs.sys+212aa
ntoskrnl.exe+6067a

(3) 06/01/2010 11:22:38 PM
Bug Check String : BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug Check Code : 0x000000c2
Parameter 1 : 0x00000007
Parameter 2 : 0x00000c3e
Parameter 3 : 0x000027ca
Parameter 4 : 0x8ab31114
Caused By Driver : fltmgr.sys
Caused By Address : fltmgr.sys+14e3f

Stack:
fltmgr.sys+14e3f
hal.dll+2900
ntoskrnl.exe+909b4

Once you have completed your preparation to list the item, you willneed to choose a price. Take into consideration the original cost of the item,its current condition and items that are similar on the website. You are nowready to list your used cloth [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 0 April 21st 08 11:16 AM
P4 FSB a b c 2.8c 2.8b 2.4b 2.4c e.t.c. what does it mean? + list of p4 temps? [email protected] Intel 4 August 27th 06 12:52 AM
List? JimNorma Dell Computers 11 April 23rd 04 09:34 PM
best CPU to OC out of the list Daniel Czajko Overclocking AMD Processors 3 March 2nd 04 06:54 PM
Where to list this? Thanks! [Portatiles] UK Computer Vendors 6 September 25th 03 11:32 AM