Replacing System Board - Help!

Old January 29th 05, 06:26 AM
Bill G

Default Replacing System Board - Help!

Hey,

I've got a Chaintech 7VJL Apogee with a KT333 chipset that won't properly
read my new Athlon XP 2700+ (replaced a Palomino 2000+). Only shows up as a
2100+ (133 FSB vs. 166 FSB). Chaintech says they'll fix the mobo, and I
said forget it, I'll buy a new mobo, which is what I did.

So, I've got this MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR sitting here (nForce2 Ultra 400
chipset), and I'm looking for the easiest way to install/set it up. My
thinking is that I'll install the mobo, and all the peripherals, and then
boot to the Windows XP CD, and start an upgrade install. This should find
all the new components on the system board, but still keep my applications
installed. Whaddya think?

Anyone have any experiences doing this type of mobo replacement? I'd rather
not have to do a completely fresh install of XP if I can help it.

This is a quick speed boost until I can upgrade to an Athlon64 setup some
time later this year.

Thanks for any info you have,

Bill G

Future setup:
Athlon64 3500+ (socket 939, 90nm)
Thermalright XP 120
Crucial Ballistix PC4000 2x512MB (2-2-2-5 at PC3200)
BFG 6800 GT OC (have, OC'd to 425/1150)
Audigy2 ZS (have)
Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultras (have)
Logitech MX1000 (have)
Viewsonic p225fb (have)

Old January 29th 05, 06:48 AM
Augustus

So, I've got this MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR sitting here (nForce2 Ultra 400
chipset), and I'm looking for the easiest way to install/set it up. My
thinking is that I'll install the mobo, and all the peripherals, and then
boot to the Windows XP CD, and start an upgrade install. This should find
all the new components on the system board, but still keep my applications
installed. Whaddya think?

Anyone have any experiences doing this type of mobo replacement? I'd
rather
not have to do a completely fresh install of XP if I can help it.

I've yet to see a repair install work when going from one totally different
m/b chipset to another. I've tried it on five different occasions, all going
from a KT variety to a Nforce variety. It's even failed on me going from
different brands of Nforce2 boards. Save yourself the grief and frustration.
When doing a major system upgrade like this, you should always do a
reformat/reinstall. You'll get a stable, functioning system out of it and
save hours of your time.

Old January 29th 05, 07:34 AM
Michael Brown

Augustus wrote:
So, I've got this MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR sitting here (nForce2 Ultra 400
chipset), and I'm looking for the easiest way to install/set it up. My
thinking is that I'll install the mobo, and all the peripherals,
and then boot to the Windows XP CD, and start an upgrade install. This
should find all the new components on the system board, but
still keep my applications installed. Whaddya think?

Anyone have any experiences doing this type of mobo replacement? I'd
rather
not have to do a completely fresh install of XP if I can help it.

I've yet to see a repair install work when going from one totally
different m/b chipset to another. I've tried it on five different
occasions, all going from a KT variety to a Nforce variety.

I've had success going from a KT333-single-Duron setup to a AMD762-dual-AXP
setup with a repair install. No problems at all, though admittedly I was
starting from a stock-with-chipset-drivers install (as opposed to one with a
firewall and all sorts of other stuff installed). In case you are wondering
WHY I was doing such a thing: it seems that WinXP stock install will BSOD if
you're using a GF2MX200. I have two (one bought, one free ), and I tried
it on a Soltek 75DRV5 and a Asus A7M266-D. In all cases (various
motherboard/card/BIOS settings) the install BSOD'd in the same spot. I got
around it by using a PCI card (which only worked in the Soltek, for some
unknown reason) followed by a repair install once I moved it over. For some
unknown reason, a repair install will function correctly, even though a
standard install won't. *shrug*

Possibly fixable by hacking more recent drivers into the CD or slipstreaming
one of the service packs, but I never got around to trying that.

But I do agree that if possible, do a fresh install.

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old January 29th 05, 09:20 AM
Veritech

I agree. Doesn't work, sounds promising, but fails. Tried going from a
celeron to a sempron and it just didn't work.

Old January 29th 05, 11:04 AM
rms

Follow this guide and you won't have any troubles:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...4&m=1400925745

rms

Old January 29th 05, 04:48 PM
Augustus

"rms" wrote in message
m...
Follow this guide and you won't have any troubles:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...74&m=140092574

Sounds good in theory but fails in practice frequently. I followed this
guide to the letter one time when doing an upgrade. Still unable to complete
repair install.

Old January 29th 05, 07:24 PM
Don Burnette

rms wrote:
Follow this guide and you won't have any troubles:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...4&m=1400925745

rms

Sweet, I will be upgrading my system to a 64 bit Nforce3 Platinum mb, and
3500+ processor.
I have done a couple of repair installs with no issue that I know of, I may
give this one a go as well.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

Old January 30th 05, 06:47 AM
Bill G

"rms" wrote in message
m...
Follow this guide and you won't have any troubles:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...4&m=1400925745

rms

Thanks for the link. I did this at it worked just fine. A few hiccups with
drivers, but after re-installing them, all is well.

Bill

Old January 30th 05, 08:29 PM
YanquiDawg

In Windows Device manager,Just delete all the onboard hardware listed there.
IDE,Chipset cvomponents,onboard audio and video(if any). I've done this twice
and it worked fine.

Old January 31st 05, 01:38 AM
Dave

"Bill G" wrote in message
[...]

Been there, done that! Do a format and re-install from the beginning.
While it is possible to do a re-install over an old one and install drivers
for the new board, the results are not reliable. To many BSODs, possibly
because of driver clashes and I also had lots of apps installed. Even
repair installs did not fix it. In the end, back-up, format and install
fixed it.

Dave

Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Upgrade old PPGA MoBo w/ Lin-Lin 370 to FC-PGA or ... ? pgtr General 3 June 27th 04 03:29 AM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 11:01 AM
Overheating Overclocking PSU System Temps Inifinite Loop Nick Le Lievre Overclocking AMD Processors 0 November 27th 03 06:10 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM