PS4 could possibly have a CELL Processor with 4 PPEs + 32 SPEsproviding 1 TeraFlop performance in 2011

Old January 25th 09, 01:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3
AirRaid[_5_]

Default PS4 could possibly have a CELL Processor with 4 PPEs + 32 SPEsproviding 1 TeraFlop performance in 2011

http://www.ps4forums.org/16-playstation-4-cell-chip/

http://www.ps4forums.org/wp-content/...hip/page10.png

The 4 PPE, 32 SPE CELL should be finished in 2010, making it possible
for PS4 to launch as early as 2011.

Nevermind Sony's ten year lifespan for PS3, which is no different than
PS1 or PS2 lifespans which go beyond the launch of their successors.
Old January 27th 09, 12:19 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3
Doug Jacobs[_2_]

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation3 AirRaid wrote:
http://www.ps4forums.org/16-playstation-4-cell-chip/

http://www.ps4forums.org/wp-content/...hip/page10.png

The 4 PPE, 32 SPE CELL should be finished in 2010, making it possible
for PS4 to launch as early as 2011.

Whatever. I don't care about the hardware under the covers. All I care
about are what games can it play.

Nevermind Sony's ten year lifespan for PS3, which is no different than
PS1 or PS2 lifespans which go beyond the launch of their successors.

So let's say the PS4 comes out in 2011. Do you honestly think the PS3
will still be for sale 5 years after the PS4 comes out? I doubt the PS3
will even live long enough to see the PS4's 2nd birthday, much less its
5th.

The main reason the PS2 continues to do well is because companies are
still developing for it. Some of the best games of 2008 were released for
the PS2, of all things.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.
Old January 27th 09, 12:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3
Rich Hutnik[_2_]

On Jan 24, 7:09*pm, AirRaid wrote:
http://www.ps4forums.org/16-playstation-4-cell-chip/

http://www.ps4forums.org/wp-content/...hip/page10.png

The 4 PPE, 32 SPE CELL should be finished in 2010, making it possible
for PS4 to launch as early as 2011.

Nevermind Sony's ten year lifespan for PS3, which is no different than
PS1 or PS2 lifespans which go beyond the launch of their successors.

If Sony follows the PC route, they could do a tech refresh that offers
more memory for graphics and video, and also improve the speed of the
CPU. Make the next Playstation backwards compatible with the PS3, but
also offer new modes the next Playstation could only play. They could
use a faster drive to decrease load times, and put more than one
version of code on the disk. The disk works with PS3 and PS4. BluRay
should be large enough to enable this to happen.

- Rich
Old January 28th 09, 10:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3
Doug Jacobs[_2_]

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation3 Rich Hutnik wrote:
If Sony follows the PC route, they could do a tech refresh that offers
more memory for graphics and video, and also improve the speed of the
CPU. Make the next Playstation backwards compatible with the PS3, but
also offer new modes the next Playstation could only play. They could
use a faster drive to decrease load times, and put more than one
version of code on the disk. The disk works with PS3 and PS4. BluRay
should be large enough to enable this to happen.

This would be a bad idea if you ask me. Why would you buy a PS4 if the
PS3 plays the next generation games? Newer games is the main reason to
upgrade, but this sort of thing would remove that. Even arguing "better
graphics" isn't going to really work since many people are still using
their PS3 on non-HDTVs.

Making the PS4 backwards compatible with the PS3 would be a good idea, as
it would encourage folks who didn't buy a PS3 to buy a PS4 so they could
still play the PS3 games they missed while waiting for PS4 titles. At
least they'll be generating revenue for Sony this way. At the same time,
it also encourages PS3 owners to upgrade, as they can still play their PS3
games, again while waiting for the PS4 games to arrive. Either way,
anything that encourages sales of the PS4 should be considered a good
thing. This is why I can't fully understand why Sony entirely dropped PS2
compatibility from the PS3 so early on in the PS3's life cycle.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.
Old January 29th 09, 03:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3
chrisv

Doug Jacobs wrote:

This would be a bad idea if you ask me. Why would you buy a PS4 if the
PS3 plays the next generation games? Newer games is the main reason to
upgrade, but this sort of thing would remove that. Even arguing "better
graphics" isn't going to really work since many people are still using
their PS3 on non-HDTVs.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe non-HDTV people would buy the cheaper PS3,
and HDTV people would step-up to the 4. People buy a wide range of
video cards for PC's, depending on their personal desire for
eye-candy, why not consoles?

Making the PS4 backwards compatible with the PS3 would be a good idea,

Of course, especially because the PS3 has not been a great seller,
they can't start "from scratch" again.

This is why I can't fully understand why Sony entirely dropped PS2
compatibility from the PS3 so early on in the PS3's life cycle.

Well, just about everyone on the planet already has a PS2. It's
*still* probably the overall-best console to own, with it's vast
selection of games, mostly inexpensive because they're older and/or
used.

Old January 30th 09, 06:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3
Rich Hutnik[_2_]

On Jan 28, 4:25*pm, Doug Jacobs wrote:
[...]

You put both versions of the game same on the BluRay disk.

- Rich
Old January 30th 09, 08:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3
The alMIGHTY N

On Jan 26, 6:19*pm, Doug Jacobs wrote:
In alt.games.video.sony-playstation3 AirRaid wrote:

http://www.ps4forums.org/16-playstation-4-cell-chip/

http://www.ps4forums.org/wp-content/...hip/page10.png

The 4 PPE, 32 SPE CELL should be finished in 2010, making it possible
for PS4 to launch as early as 2011.

Whatever. *I don't care about the hardware under the covers. *All I care
about are what games can it play. *

Nevermind Sony's ten year lifespan for PS3, which is no different than
PS1 or PS2 lifespans which go beyond the launch of their successors.

So let's say the PS4 comes out in 2011. *Do you honestly think the PS3
will still be for sale 5 years after the PS4 comes out? *I doubt the PS3
will even live long enough to see the PS4's 2nd birthday, much less its
5th.

Before the Playstation 3 was announced, did anyone seriously believe
that there was a chance that a) the Playstation 2 would still be so
viable 2 years in and b) the Playstation 3 would be doing so poorly?

The main reason the PS2 continues to do well is because companies are
still developing for it. *Some of the best games of 2008 were released for
the PS2, of all things.

They were released on other platforms as well, though, so it's no big
deal.

Now if you're talking about PS2 exclusives, I question whether that's
really true. I hear critical raving about Persona 4 but the game is a
niche RPG and isn't all that and a bag of chips from a financial
perspective.

What do you mean by "best games?" Best games from what perspective?
Persona 4, being an RPG, means that it won't be a good game for most
gamers. I could just as easily say that MLB The Show was one of the
best games in 2008 even if that would make you cringe with
displeasure, LOL.
Old January 30th 09, 08:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3
The alMIGHTY N

On Jan 30, 12:50*pm, Rich Hutnik wrote:
[...]

I think the question was basically, "If you the disc works in both the
Playstation 3 and the Playstation 4, what incentive would most people
have to pay for the new Playstation 4?"
Old January 31st 09, 06:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3
Rich Hutnik[_2_]

On Jan 30, 2:33*pm, The alMIGHTY N wrote:

I think the question was basically, "If you the disc works in both the
Playstation 3 and the Playstation 4, what incentive would most people
have to pay for the new Playstation 4?"

Then why should people bother upgrading to a PS3 now, if they own a
PS2? So long as you can keep getting Madden every year, why is it
needed? Also, why should people bother upgrading their PCs?

Maybe the idea is that you get better graphics and gameplay in the new
version.

- Rich
Old January 31st 09, 10:02 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3
liturgy

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 09:37:57 -0800 (PST), Rich Hutnik
wrote:

On Jan 30, 2:33*pm, The alMIGHTY N wrote:

I think the question was basically, "If you the disc works in both the
Playstation 3 and the Playstation 4, what incentive would most people
have to pay for the new Playstation 4?"

Then why should people bother upgrading to a PS3 now, if they own a
PS2? So long as you can keep getting Madden every year, why is it
needed? Also, why should people bother upgrading their PCs?

Maybe the idea is that you get better graphics and gameplay in the new
version.

- Rich

Yeah, so long as there are tremendous differences in the features and
particularly in the graphics between the previous and the new
consoles, suckers like me will shell it out for the new and shiny one.

But I'm wondering if Sony is developing the PS4, if the rumor is true,
with some new generation of HDTVs in mind.

What I mean is, from the PS2 and the Xbox, came the PS3 and the 360
respectively and of course you can't even begin to compare the
graphics between the SDTV and the HDTV.

And I know this is a big generalization, but your typical HDTVs are
either 720p or 1080p with 60MHz refresh rate with the newer ones now
coming out with 120MHz and with a very wide contrast ratio differences
depending on your TV and etc.

But what I'm curious about is if Sony is developing the PS4 with the
OLED TVs in mind or some other upcoming HDTV technology for PS4 games
to be played on?

In a couple of year's time, by 2011, I'm sure great advances in OLED
and other newer HDTV technology will have been made. However, unless
the cost level of those new gen TVs are similar to what the LCD/DLP
TVs are today and Sony is projecting the new gen TV costs to be that
low, I doubt if Sony or even MS would develop their next-gen consoles,
PS4/720(?), and their games to play on the new gen TVs.

I think it'll be really, really interesting to see what the next-gen
consoles will be like and also I'm really looking forward to what the
next wave HDTVs will have to offer.