Who is PAT?

Old January 18th 09, 03:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.misc
Mark Hobley[_2_]

Default Who is PAT?

I am examining the system log for one of my applications and it states
"PAT not supported by CPU".

Does anyone know what PAT is? My computer is IBM compatible and has an
80486 compatible processor. I am using a Linux derivative kernel.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

Old January 18th 09, 04:02 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.misc
Dan C

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 15:08:12 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:

I am examining the system log for one of my applications and it states
"PAT not supported by CPU".

Does anyone know what PAT is? My computer is IBM compatible and has an
80486 compatible processor. I am using a Linux derivative kernel.

Assuming your application is some kind of audio program..., it's probably
this:

http://www.birds-eye.net/definition/...?id=1162798192

P.S. - Know how long it took me to find that with Google? About 20
seconds. Might want to try it for yourself sometime.

Old January 18th 09, 06:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.misc
Joachim Schmitz

Mark Hobley wrote:
I am examining the system log for one of my applications and it states
"PAT not supported by CPU".

Does anyone know what PAT is? My computer is IBM compatible and has an
80486 compatible processor. I am using a Linux derivative kernel.

You don't mean PAE, Physical Address Extension, do you?

Bye, Jojo
Old January 18th 09, 07:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.misc
Mark Hobley[_2_]

In comp.os.linux.misc Dan C wrote:
P.S. - Know how long it took me to find that with Google? About 20
seconds. Might want to try it for yourself sometime.

Yeah I found the same definition also. It's don't think it is the right
definition in this contex, but maybe you are right. I thought that maybe
it meant "Page Allocation Table", which I found after a lot more
googling.

Anyhow, whether it is a "Page Allocation Table", a "Program Association
Table", or something else, I need to know which processors have this and
which do not. I think that some of my computers have it, and others do
not, because not all of my computers have the same processor, even
though they are all supposed to be compatible.

I don't seem to be able to find a list of processors that do and do not
support this.

Does an 80486 have a PAT? What about a traditional Pentium 120? What
about a Pentium MMX? Cyrix 686? AMD K5? AMD K6?

I looked both of my assembly langauge reference books, and there is no
reference to either a PAT, a Page Allocation Table,or a Program
Association Table.

I am trying to integrate a device driver into a kernel that will be used
across a wide range of machines, and I need more information about this
PAT.

Mark.

Old January 18th 09, 07:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.misc
Huibert Bol

Mark Hobley wrote:

I am examining the system log for one of my applications and it states
"PAT not supported by CPU".

Does anyone know what PAT is? My computer is IBM compatible and has an
80486 compatible processor. I am using a Linux derivative kernel.

Page Attribute Table. It redefines the original PWD and PCT bits in the
page tables to allow for more fine-grained control over caching (much
like the MTTRs but on a page-by-page basis).

I don't know exactly when it was introduced, probably Pentium 3 or so.

It's documented (of course) in the System Programming Guide[1], section
10.12.

[1] http://download.intel.com/design/pro...als/253668.pdf

--
Huibert
"The Commercial Channel! All commercials all the time.
Old January 18th 09, 10:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.misc
Darren Salt

I demand that Huibert Bol may or may not have written...

Mark Hobley wrote:
I am examining the system log for one of my applications and it states
"PAT not supported by CPU".
Does anyone know what PAT is? My computer is IBM compatible and has an
80486 compatible processor. I am using a Linux derivative kernel.

Page Attribute Table. It redefines the original PWD and PCT bits in the
page tables to allow for more fine-grained control over caching (much like
the MTRRs but on a page-by-page basis).

I don't know exactly when it was introduced, probably Pentium 3 or so.

Pentium II, at the latest; I have two here, at least one of which has
hardware bugs affecting PAT which the Linux kernel knows about, so it's stuck
with using plain MTRRs. I've not tried yet on the other, but I will when I
next upgrade its kernel.

[snip]
| + Output *more* particulate pollutants. BUFFER AGAINST GLOBAL WARMING.

You plan things that you do not even attempt because of your extreme caution.
Old January 31st 09, 08:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.misc
johannes

Mark Hobley wrote:

I am examining the system log for one of my applications and it states
"PAT not supported by CPU".

Does anyone know what PAT is? My computer is IBM compatible and has an
80486 compatible processor. I am using a Linux derivative kernel.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

Performance Acceleration Technology. Something which came with Intel
875 chipset.