To reset CMOS/ BIOS on a compaq PC

Old April 22nd 08, 06:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Default To reset CMOS/ BIOS on a compaq PC

Found this note in old service manual:

If CMOS/BIOS gets hosed (even if can't see screen )
1. Press " Fn + Power On " at same time.
2. Tap Fn+F11 a few times
3. Memory counts up, disk seeks and
generates "Error 162 - Options not set "
4. Press F1 which saves changes and now
BIOS is set back to factory default.

Old May 16th 08, 08:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Petrus Tax

. ..

"
4. Press F1 which saves changes and now BIOS is set back to factory
default.

Hello Bobb,

thanks very much for your note. I do have a Presario computer or two which
would need their CMOS/BIOS restored. But my PC keyboards don't have a Fn
key. Is there another key that can be subsistuted? Or do you have another
recipe for PCs?

Thank you very much in advance.

Petrus

Old May 16th 08, 09:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"Petrus Tax" wrote in message
m...

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
Found this note in old service manual:

If CMOS/BIOS gets hosed (even if can't see screen )
1. Press " Fn + Power On " at same time.
2. Tap Fn+F11 a few times
3. Memory counts up, disk seeks and generates "Error 162 - Options not
set "
4. Press F1 which saves changes and now BIOS is set back to factory
default.

Hello Bobb,

thanks very much for your note. I do have a Presario computer or two
which would need their CMOS/BIOS restored. But my PC keyboards don't
have a Fn key. Is there another key that can be subsistuted? Or do you
have another recipe for PCs?

Thank you very much in advance.

Petrus

My solution was mainly for laptops. On a desktop , just remove/disconnect
the RTC-battery for 15 minutes or so - see www.hp.com service manual for
your model on how to open case / where it's located on system board.