repairing compaq presario M2000 series

Old April 28th 08, 06:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
C. Pravdyna

Default repairing compaq presario M2000 series

I have a Compaq Presario M2000 series (M2105US). It works well and I
have had no problems with it other than that when I shut it down I am
unable to reboot without reinstalling Windows XP using the original
disk. When I shut down and later turn it on, I get an error message that
says "internal boot error" (from what I remember) I have not been able
to permanently fix the problem, so I now keep my computer on all of the
time and avoid shutting down unless absolutely necessary. I have no
difficulty operating the computer after reinstalling the OS, and it
works properly until I shut down. Then I must repeat the OS installation
over again. But unless I shut down the computer, there is no problem. It
seems to take longer for programs to load than previously, but nothing
major aside from the problem with shutdown.

Old April 28th 08, 07:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"C. Pravdyna" wrote in message

I have a Compaq Presario M2000 series (M2105US). It works well and I
have had no problems with it other than that when I shut it down I am
unable to reboot without reinstalling Windows XP using the original
disk.

That sounds like a kinda "serious problem" I'd say !

When I shut down and later turn it on, I get an error message that
says "internal boot error" (from what I remember) I have not been able
to permanently fix the problem, so I now keep my computer on all of the
time and avoid shutting down unless absolutely necessary. I have no
difficulty operating the computer after reinstalling the OS, and it
works properly until I shut down. Then I must repeat the OS installation
over again. But unless I shut down the computer, there is no problem. It
seems to take longer for programs to load than previously, but nothing
major aside from the problem with shutdown.

No CD in drive or floppy - right ?
What is boot order ? If HDD is last, does it boot a floppy or a CD OK ?

If it never boots the disk - only the CD. I'd guess a bad area on the disk
drive... but ... DURING the install, doesn't it reboot a few times ? THAT
works OK ?
Is this the original disk drive ? or have you formatted it / fdisk'ed it ?
Do you know ?

If you look Computer Mgmt screen - disk structure - does it show (Healthy
System) next to C: drive ? answer here.

Start - Run - type 'diskmgmt.msc' and click OK.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...sk+management+
got me he where you can follow along -
http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_management.htm

Old April 30th 08, 01:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Postman delivers

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:41:27 -0500, C. Pravdyna wrote:

I have a Compaq Presario M2000 series (M2105US). It works well and I
have had no problems with it other than that when I shut it down I am
unable to reboot without reinstalling Windows XP using the original
disk. When I shut down and later turn it on, I get an error message that
says "internal boot error" (from what I remember) I have not been able
to permanently fix the problem, so I now keep my computer on all of the
time and avoid shutting down unless absolutely necessary. I have no
difficulty operating the computer after reinstalling the OS, and it
works properly until I shut down. Then I must repeat the OS installation
over again. But unless I shut down the computer, there is no problem. It
seems to take longer for programs to load than previously, but nothing
major aside from the problem with shutdown.

* * *
Maybe tis only a MBR problem -

Once Windows is done starting, you need to find the I386 installation
directory, either on the installation CD, or on C:\I386 as it was on my
laptop, and install the Recovery Console by running C:\I386\WINNT32.EXE /
cmdcons.

Choose the Recovery Console option from the menu that appears. You will
get a very limited shell, where you can type 'fixmbr' to fix the MBR on
your boot drive allowing you to start the sytem.

You should now have a properly booting Windows system, unless your HD is
hosed or can not properly be set up as a boot drive...

Depending how old the system is, Compaq/HP should be able to walk you
through the procedure via live chat on a different system if you feel
unsure... Or visit your local competent computer repair shop for a hard
drive check and maybe a replacement...

JR the postman

Old May 1st 08, 02:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
C. Pravdyna[_2_]

?

If it never boots the disk - only the CD. I'd guess a bad area on the
disk
drive... but ... DURING the install, doesn't it reboot a few times ?
THAT
works OK ?
Is this the original disk drive ? or have you formatted it / fdisk'ed
it ?
Do you know ?

If you look Computer Mgmt screen - disk structure - does it show
(Healthy
System) next to C: drive ? answer here.

Start - Run - type 'diskmgmt.msc' and click OK.

'xp disk management - Google Search'
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...sk+management+)
got me he where you can follow along -
'Disk Management' (http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_management.htm)

When it occurs there is no CD in the drive, however my computer does
not have a slot for floppy disks.

When I start it up normally I get the "blue screen" and the error
response, which reads "internal boot error".

I can boot from the operating system disk and reinstall it, but not
entirely fix the problem. I have also tried repairing the system files
with the disk but I still have the same problem.

This is the original drive. It has not been formatted.

I have done that and yes it shows 'Healthy System' next to the C:
drive

/
cmdcons.

Choose the Recovery Console option from the menu that appears. You will

get a very limited shell, where you can type 'fixmbr' to fix the MBR on

your boot drive allowing you to start the sytem.

You should now have a properly booting Windows system, unless your HD
is
hosed or can not properly be set up as a boot drive...

Depending how old the system is, Compaq/HP should be able to walk you
through the procedure via live chat on a different system if you feel
unsure... Or visit your local competent computer repair shop for a
hard
drive check and maybe a replacement...

JR the postman

Can I fix MBR while logged onto windows?

Do I need to access via safemode?

Is there any risk of losing data? Should I backup my files?

I know where it located, but I want to be sure of the above before
doing it.

Old May 1st 08, 04:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Backup your stuff.

Unless physical damge to disk drive, this should fix it.
Boot XP CD to recovery console (see link below) ,
Run FIXMBR.
http://askbobrankin.com/fix_mbr.html

Worst case reinstall once more.
But if after run fixmbr and reinstall it's still bad - it s bad disk....
if you're old enough to remember LP's think of it as a scratch at the VERY
beginning of the record - it would loop all day on the intro and never
"start to play the record".

Bobb