DVD+RW identified as DVD-ROM

Old July 9th 07, 10:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,alt.comp.hardware
Leon Nabot

Default DVD+RW identified as DVD-ROM

Hi,

I'm experiencing a very annoying problem.

I tried to test my new DVD+/-RW writer writing some ISO images with
Blindwrite on DVD+RWs and I discovered later that the wrote medias
are not recognized anymore as re-writable medias but as DVD-ROM (Nero Info
tools).

So, now I'm unable to re-use this medias because the writing softs
identify the media as a DVD-ROM and refuse to erase or re-write them.

Someone known a method or a tool which permit to reset the media
identifier or force the erase of the media, without taking care of the
identifier, resetting the type at the same time ?

Note that the problem is not limited to the DVD+RW but I have also a CD-RW
with the same issue.

My writer is a Samsung SH-S203B and I can use any solution available on
Windows XP or Linux FC 6.

Any help is welcome.

Rgds

Léo
Old July 9th 07, 02:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj
http://tinyurl.com/gqnae
http://tinyurl.com/2qnvph
http://tinyurl.com/38wte6
http://tinyurl.com/34jchb
http://tinyurl.com/2xfbkz

(No Mikey S-Lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a )
(LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of libels & misquotes!)
'

Leon Nabot wrote:

I tried to test my new DVD+/-RW writer writing some ISO images with
Blindwrite on DVD+RWs and I discovered later that the wrote medias
are not recognized anymore as re-writable medias but as DVD-ROM (Nero Info
tools).

So, now I'm unable to re-use this medias because the writing softs
identify the media as a DVD-ROM and refuse to erase or re-write them.

What are the softwares?

Someone known a method or a tool which permit to reset the media
identifier or force the erase of the media, without taking care of the
identifier, resetting the type at the same time ?

Note that the problem is not limited to the DVD+RW but I have also a CD-RW
with the same issue.

My writer is a Samsung SH-S203B and I can use any solution available on
Windows XP or Linux FC 6.

What happens if you choose 'Erase Disc' in [Nero CD-DVD Speed, Extra]?
Is the Erase button grayed out?

http://www.dvdinfopro.com
Old July 9th 07, 03:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dave Cohen

Leon Nabot wrote:
[...]

Download burn4free and see if that behaves the same way.
Dave Cohen
Old July 10th 07, 07:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Leon Nabot

En ce jour Mon, 09 Jul 2007 06:55:11 -0700, smh a écrit:

What happens if you choose 'Erase Disc' in [Nero CD-DVD Speed, Extra]?
Is the Erase button grayed out?

DVDInfo also has Erase function:
http://www.dvdinfopro.com

I used CloneCD and it says that the disk is not "erasable". I also used
the little program Superblank but it failed also.

Finally, I solved the problem using the command "dvd+rw-format -force"
under Linux. This have erased the disk and re-initialized it.

Note that the root cause of the problem seems related to a strange
interaction, during the burning phase, with one of the "Virtual CD/DVD
readers" installed on my system (Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools). After
having uninstalled both, I can burn the DVD+RW and the medias remains
recognizable as RW and not ROM.

Now I must find which soft causes the problem and if it's possible to
change this behaviour with the settings of the program.

Rgds

Léo

Old July 10th 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Leon Nabot wrote:

Finally, I solved the problem using the command "dvd+rw-format -force"
under Linux. This have erased the disk and re-initialized it.

Could you do a little experiment?

'FUBARinSFO' is trying to blank dvd+rw in 'How to make "Blank DVD+RW"?'.

'growisofs' of dvd+rw-tools is supposed to blank dvd+rw with this:

'growisofs -Z /dev/scd0=/dev/zero'

We tried win32 port of growisofs and found the above does not blank, but
re-formats like all other "erase" programs. (IsoBuster will prompt about
empty layout if re-formatted.)

Could you verify growisofs really blanks dvd+rw on Linux?
Old July 12th 07, 09:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Leon Nabot

En ce jour Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:56:31 -0700, smh a écrit:

Could you do a little experiment?

'FUBARinSFO' is trying to blank dvd+rw in 'How to make "Blank DVD+RW"?'.

'growisofs' of dvd+rw-tools is supposed to blank dvd+rw with this:

'growisofs -Z /dev/scd0=/dev/zero'

We tried win32 port of growisofs and found the above does not blank, but
re-formats like all other "erase" programs. (IsoBuster will prompt about
empty layout if re-formatted.)

Could you verify growisofs really blanks dvd+rw on Linux?

Yes, the command blanks the DVD+RW but I'm unable to say if it does really
just a "blank" or also does a reformat.

According to the output of the command, I believe that the media isn't
reformated but just writed with empty data.

Hope that's help.

Rgds

Léo

Old July 12th 07, 05:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Leon Nabot wrote:
smh a écrit:

'growisofs' of dvd+rw-tools is supposed to blank dvd+rw with this:
'growisofs -Z /dev/scd0=/dev/zero'

We tried win32 port of growisofs and found the above does not blank, but
re-formats like all other "erase" programs. (IsoBuster will prompt about
empty layout if re-formatted.)

Could you verify growisofs really blanks dvd+rw on Linux?

Yes, the command blanks the DVD+RW but I'm unable to say if it does really
just a "blank" or also does a reformat.

According to the output of the command, I believe that the media isn't
reformated but just writed with empty data.

Thanks for the experiment.

Open the dvd+rw in IsoBuster. If the disc is really blanked, it will say
"Blank DVD+RW". But if the disc is re-formatted, it will prompt you
with: "only a session/track layout could be found. No file-systems nor
file and folders could be found."
http://www.isobuster.com