Using photonics for real-time processing.

Old May 24th 07, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,sci.electronics.basics,comp.arch
Michael A. Terrell

Default Using photonics for real-time processing.

Scott Alfter wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

He would implode. Do you have any idea what kind of mess that would
make?

As long as he's nowhere nearby, I don't care. Let him implode. :-)

You don't want to watch from a safe distance?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old May 24th 07, 10:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,sci.electronics.basics,comp.arch
Bob Myers

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
SteveH wrote:

Or he could just stop talking ********

He would implode. Do you have any idea what kind of mess that would
make?

Not to mention the paperwork that would then be involved....

Bob M.

Old May 24th 07, 10:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,sci.electronics.basics,comp.arch
Bob Myers

"Radium" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 23, 11:21 pm, "Bob Myers" wrote:

If you can describe just what you mean by "photonic
chips" and the principles on which such things might
operate, then maybe that question would be more readily
answered.

An electronic chip uses electricity for storage, recording, playback,
transmission, reception, and processing of signals.

A photonic chip uses monochromatic light [hopefully in the form of
lasers] for storage, recording, playback, transmission, reception, and
processing of signals.

That's pretty much the answer I expected from you, given
the obviously superficial level of thought you've put into
this, but please note that the above doesn't even come
close to answering the question I posed. "Operating
principles" means far more than a one-word simple
sentence describing the gross functionality you expect to
provide. You need to say something about HOW.

Bob M.

Old May 24th 07, 10:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,sci.electronics.basics,comp.arch
Bob Myers

"krw" wrote in message
t...

encoded in those atoms not the atoms. The same is true of software.
It is not the electrons of photons. It is the bits.

Hmm, maybe the concept of the teleporter isn't so bad....

Right - now work out the data rates implied by the transporter
concept. You get a truly scary-big number...

Bob M.

Old May 24th 07, 10:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,sci.electronics.basics,comp.arch
Bob Myers

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news

Sulfur Hydrogen Iodine Tellurium, I'd think. ;-)

I was thinking more along the lines of resublimated
thiotimoline with unobtainium interconnects, fabricated
on a substrate of dilithium-passivated polymerized
cavorite.

Bob M.

Old May 24th 07, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,sci.electronics.basics,comp.arch
Rich Grise

On Thu, 24 May 2007 10:42:24 -0700, Radium wrote:
On May 24, 10:06 am, Rich Grise wrote:

Is Asperger's more like autism, or more like Tourette's?

Asperger's resembles autism and ADHD more than anything else. As a
kid, my diagnosis kept swinging from ADD to ADHD to autism, and back
and forth, until the doctors found my symptoms to specifically match
Asperger's.

Thanks for the info.

Speaking of ADHD, I think it's basically that the kids are bored ****less
- I had "preschool" in my Mom's lap, with her reading to me. By the time
I got to kindergarten, I was already reading at about a 2nd grade level or
so - I think if they'd have invented ADHD in 1952, I would have been put
on ritalin or something. Thank The Force, nowadays I get to choose my own
drugs. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Old May 24th 07, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,sci.electronics.basics,comp.arch
Radium[_2_]

On May 24, 2:46 pm, "Bob Myers" wrote:

You need to say something about HOW.

Using the optical equivalents of the electric stuff in electronic
chips.

Old May 25th 07, 12:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,sci.electronics.basics,comp.arch
Don Bowey

On 5/24/07 2:47 PM, in article , "Bob Myers"
wrote:

"krw" wrote in message
t...

encoded in those atoms not the atoms. The same is true of software.
It is not the electrons of photons. It is the bits.

Hmm, maybe the concept of the teleporter isn't so bad....

Right - now work out the data rates implied by the transporter
concept. You get a truly scary-big number...

Data rate and energy use are no problem. Transporters are currently based
on the Radium Theory.

Don

Bob M.

Old May 25th 07, 12:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,sci.electronics.basics,comp.arch
Michael A. Terrell

SteveH wrote:

Or he could just stop talking ********

He would implode. Do you have any idea what kind of mess that would
make?

Not to mention the paperwork that would then be involved....

Paperwork is no problem, as long as it doesn't involve an ISO 9001
audit. I REALLY HATE ISO 9001 audits!

BTW, while I was stationed at Ft Rucker Alabama in the early '70s the
base clinic was overloaded so I had to take another solider to a
civilian doctor off base. I was waiting in the air conditioned waiting
room when two big civilians walked in and saw me in uniform. They headed
straight for me, to pick a fight. I stood up and told them that I was
required by law to tell them that I had been trained by the US Army to
kill with my bare hands, and that I would fight, but that I only fought
to the death.

I glanced at my watch and told them I had to be somewhere in 22
minutes, and had to leave in 10 minutes. I smiled at the moron in the
back and told him to go call the coroner, that his friend would be dead
within seven minutes if he still wanted to fight.

Just then my friend came out of the back and asked what was going
on. I sighed and said, "These morons want me to fight the big one.".
He said, "Oh, God, Not again!". I shrugged and said, "I've already
warned them that I only fight to the death". He turned to look at them
and said, "Dammit! The last time you killed someone, it took us two
full weeks to to the damn paperwork before they let us go!". You should
have seen them trying to get out of the building. It was like Moe and
Curly of the 'Three Stooges' trying to push their way out through a door
that opened in.

A good bluff is better than a good fight, any day! :-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old May 25th 07, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,sci.electronics.basics,comp.arch
Michael A. Terrell

Don Bowey wrote:

Data rate and energy use are no problem. Transporters are currently based
on the Radium Theory.

AKA Science Friction. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Looking for a real time noise filter imstarlost Webcams 0 April 20th 06 11:17 AM
Real-time clock HankG General 9 January 1st 06 03:58 AM
How to measure real time on a Pentium 3? Rami Intel 1 April 18th 05 05:23 AM
How to measure real time on a Pentium 3? Rami Intel 1 April 17th 05 07:26 PM
Question: Real-Time Back-up Darren Harris General 13 April 16th 04 11:46 PM