Chipmaker Elpida Admits Price Fixing

Old January 31st 06, 02:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Default Chipmaker Elpida Admits Price Fixing

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 02:17:23 +0100, Grumble wrote:

First off, there is no such thing as a "top of the line NVIDIA cards"
since NVIDIA only sells the GPU and a reference design.

but there is something like "recommended retail price", and both companies
set those identical - $649 for 7800 GTX/X1900 XTX

As far as the low-end is concerned, one can find 6200TC-based graphics
cards for $40-$50.

I am talking last generation (7300)

--
I really have no idea what this means. And since I can't install linux on
it, I'm gonna go back to surfing pr0n.
Old January 31st 06, 03:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:13:30 +0100, hackbox.info wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:56:55 +0100, Yousuf Khan wrote:

hackbox.info wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:20:37 +0100, YKhan wrote:

The Rambus horde must be doing backflips over this one.

http://wireservice.wired.com/wired/s...toryId=1151885
is this news? Intel is price fixing all the time

Let me guess, this was already debated and detailed in comp.arch at
least six months ago? ;-)

I have no idea, I dont read comp.arch.*
Every oligopoly/monopoly chip manufacturer is price fixing, like
NVidia/Intel/ATI/AMD and many others. How else would you call selling
Semprons, NForce SLI chips or Celerons?

DO you have a clue what "price-fixing" means? Sheesh!

--
Keith

Old January 31st 06, 03:53 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:31:32 +0100, Grumble wrote:

YKhan wrote:
The Rambus horde must be doing backflips over this one.

I'm wondering why you included alt.invest.stocks.amd?

Perhaps because it's part of the biz?

--
Keith

Old January 31st 06, 06:02 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 03:52:45 +0100, Keith wrote:

DO you have a clue what "price-fixing" means? Sheesh!

no, but this is internet, right?
Ok I know now, but this is as misleading as the term "conspiracy" in US
legal system (means something diametrically different in Europe).

Old January 31st 06, 10:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

hackbox.info wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 02:17:23 +0100, Grumble wrote:

First off, there is no such thing as a "top of the line NVIDIA
cards" since NVIDIA only sells the GPU and a reference design.

but there is something like "recommended retail price", and both
companies set those identical - $649 for 7800 GTX/X1900 XTX

Again, this is incorrect. NVIDIA did suggest $650 when it *announced*
the 7800GTX, but the MSRP was adjusted to $600 on launch.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24550

Moreover, what matters to consumers is the actual price, not the MSRP.
Today, prices for 7800GTX-based cards range from $450 to $510.

As far as the low-end is concerned, one can find 6200TC-based
graphics cards for $40-$50.

I am talking last generation (7300)

How can you discuss the price of a GPU that is not even available
in the USA yet?

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2674

(At this point, I imagine I have been trolled.)
Old January 31st 06, 11:53 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On 30 Jan 2006 11:24:07 -0800, "David Kanter" wrote:

YKhan wrote:
The Rambus horde must be doing backflips over this one.

http://wireservice.wired.com/wired/s...toryId=1151885

Where's George now? Perhaps he should be getting out a napkin and
dinnerware....crows on the menu : )

sigh I already explained it all to you - the crow is all yours. I'm told
it's delicious... bon appetit.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old January 31st 06, 05:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

Grumble wrote:
YKhan wrote:
The Rambus horde must be doing backflips over this one.

I'm wondering why you included alt.invest.stocks.amd?

Just general interest, due to a highly related industry.

Yousuf Khan

Old January 31st 06, 06:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:24:58 +0100, Grumble wrote:

(At this point, I imagine I have been trolled.)

not exactly, I just misunderstood the term 'price fixing'. I thought it
was selling same things with different price to different customers. The
rest was just a lame excuse to argument.

Old January 31st 06, 07:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

hackbox.info wrote in part:
not exactly, I just misunderstood the term 'price fixing'.
I thought it was selling same things with different price
to different customers.

No, that's actually legal and it's called "market segmentation".
Customers don't much like it.

"Price fixing" is an agreement between competitors to fix prices
or otherwise limit competition. Illegal.

-- Robert

Old February 1st 06, 05:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 06:02:24 +0100, hackbox.info wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 03:52:45 +0100, Keith wrote:

DO you have a clue what "price-fixing" means? Sheesh!

no, but this is internet, right?

Well, it's the usenet, but some knowledge of search engines is good.

Ok I know now, but this is as misleading as the term "conspiracy" in US
legal system (means something diametrically different in Europe).

What's misleading about "conspiracy"? It takes two to tango, or
price-fix. That does raise the question... What is "conspiracy to price
fix"? ;-)

--
Keith