Deep Blitz: taking on Deep Blue with a PC

Old January 27th 06, 10:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.invest.stocks.amd

Default Deep Blitz: taking on Deep Blue with a PC

I found this a fascinating article, lots of detail about chess program
optimizations and stuff, and none of it bores you.

Project Deep Blitz: Master-Level Chess on a PC--ExtremeTech Feature
"Since that time I've wanted a chess computer as powerful as Deep
Blue-my own world-champion-level sparring partner."
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1915527,00.asp

Yousuf Khan

Old January 27th 06, 11:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.invest.stocks.amd

Sean Cousins wrote:
I don't need a Deep Blue level of chess partner, these two free chess
programs are hard enough for me. :-)

http://www.arasanchess.org/

http://www.pawnchess.com/

I am the world's worst chess player. I stopped trying after a while.
Then one day I got into Battle Chess: Chinese Chess. I was occasionally
beating that game (albeit at low difficulty levels), so I was so happy,
thought I finally found my game. I liked the animations too. Then one
day some friends of my parents came by and they brought their prodigy
son with them. I showed him the game on my PC, and gave him a few basic
rules of the chinese game, and the guy picked up within minutes, and
then told me to crank up the difficulty level right upto 9/9. And he
beat the machine by the first time! I never touched that game ever
again, made my brain look bad. :-)

Yousuf Khan

Old January 28th 06, 11:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.invest.stocks.amd

YKhan wrote:
I found this a fascinating article, lots of detail about chess program
optimizations and stuff, and none of it bores you.

That was a good article.

The one thing that was pretty disappointing is that the article talks
over and over about the matchup between the systems ... and in the end
.... they didn't get a chance to actually play each other ??? Just seems
like they could have chosen different way word it all along (ie If,
Might, Maybe, Could, Probably, etc).

Old January 29th 06, 12:27 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.invest.stocks.amd

gaf1234567890 wrote:
That was a good article.

The one thing that was pretty disappointing is that the article talks
over and over about the matchup between the systems ... and in the end
... they didn't get a chance to actually play each other ??? Just seems
like they could have chosen different way word it all along (ie If,
Might, Maybe, Could, Probably, etc).

I think what they're mostly waiting for is a grid-capable chess program.
It's obvious that no 4-core Opteron system could seriously hope to keep
up with Deep Blue.

Yousuf Khan
Old January 29th 06, 02:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.invest.stocks.amd

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
gaf1234567890 wrote:
That was a good article.

The one thing that was pretty disappointing is that the article talks
over and over about the matchup between the systems ... and in the end
... they didn't get a chance to actually play each other ??? Just
seems
like they could have chosen different way word it all along (ie If,
Might, Maybe, Could, Probably, etc).

I think what they're mostly waiting for is a grid-capable chess
program. It's obvious that no 4-core Opteron system could seriously
hope to keep up with Deep Blue.

Yousuf Khan

Has Deep Blue been updated? When was the hardware for deep blue built?

del

Old January 29th 06, 04:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.invest.stocks.amd

gaf1234567890 wrote:
That was a good article.

The one thing that was pretty disappointing is that the article talks
over and over about the matchup between the systems ... and in the end
... they didn't get a chance to actually play each other ??? Just
seems
like they could have chosen different way word it all along (ie If,
Might, Maybe, Could, Probably, etc).

I think what they're mostly waiting for is a grid-capable chess
program. It's obvious that no 4-core Opteron system could seriously
hope to keep up with Deep Blue.

Yousuf Khan

Has Deep Blue been updated? When was the hardware for deep blue built?

Has there been another challenge?

--
Keith
Old January 29th 06, 04:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.invest.stocks.amd

Del Cecchi wrote:
Has Deep Blue been updated? When was the hardware for deep blue built?

1997. According to the article it consisted of 32 Power2 cores, and
about 512 specialized "chess processors", and cost IBM $100M. They're
seeing what they can now manage with off-the-shelf hardware.

Yousuf Khan

Old January 29th 06, 04:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.invest.stocks.amd

Keith wrote:
Has there been another challenge?

No, they're just trying to see if they can match or exceed Deep Blue
nowadays with commodity hardware with less cost. Deep Blue cost $100M.

I gather that once grid-capable chess programs are available, the next
generation of chess machines will be going in the same direction as
supercomputers have gone towards superclusters.

Yousuf Khan

Old January 29th 06, 06:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.invest.stocks.amd

On 27 Jan 2006 13:27:42 -0800, "YKhan" wrote:

I found this a fascinating article, lots of detail about chess program
optimizations and stuff, and none of it bores you.

Project Deep Blitz: Master-Level Chess on a PC--ExtremeTech Feature
"Since that time I've wanted a chess computer as powerful as Deep
Blue-my own world-champion-level sparring partner."
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1915527,00.asp

A lot of what this article boils down to is simply a comparison of
ASICs designed for a very specific task vs. general purpose CPUs. The
result, which is not at all surprising, is that for a specific task,
ASICs can do a whole lot better.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old January 29th 06, 08:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.invest.stocks.amd

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:29:05 -0800, YKhan wrote:

Keith wrote:
Has there been another challenge?

No, they're just trying to see if they can match or exceed Deep Blue
nowadays with commodity hardware with less cost. Deep Blue cost $100M.

It doesn't take long to eat through $100M on a one-off design. That's
only 40-50 warm.body-years.

I gather that once grid-capable chess programs are available, the next
generation of chess machines will be going in the same direction as
supercomputers have gone towards superclusters.

Hmm, maybe that's the real purpose behind the Cell. ;-)

--
Keith