upgrade for compaq presario 5834

Old December 27th 05, 09:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default upgrade for compaq presario 5834

I have a Compaq Presario desktop 5834. I want to upgrade it the best
I can. I know nothing about upgrading motherboards and processors,
but I have added memory (128 for a total of 196), a PCI video card,
an Ethernet card, and a TV tuner/capture card. This is what I would
like to do and if you could tell me how to do it, that would be
wonderful. I would like to run Windows XP Pro, have an AGP video
card, have a 200GB hard drive, have a DVD +/- Burner, DVD Rom, at
least 5 PCI slots, and USB 2.0 and a firewire port. Sounds like a
new computer right? Please help me out and direct me to any tutorial
websites I can reference to help me along the way. Thanks. These are
the specs from Compaq.

Compaq Presario 5834 desktop PC - Product Specifications
QuickSpecs

Compaq Presario 5834

October 1999
Model

Compaq P/N - 153299-003 COMPAQ PRESARIO 5834
Standard features
Dimensions and weights (H x W x D) Unit: 19 x 8.38 x 20.9 inches (31
lbs.)

Package: 24 x 14.95 x 23.6 inches (41 lbs.)
Processor Intel Celeron TM processor - 500 MHz
System bus 66 MHz system bus
System memory 64 MB 100 MHz SyncDRAM, shared memory architecture, two
total DIMM slots upgradable to 256 MB - 8 MB dedicated for video
memory (SyncDRAM DIMM required)
Hard drive 17.0 GB UltraDMA hard drive
Modem 56K ITU V.90 modem
Cache 128 KB integrated L2 Pipeline Burst Cache
DVD-ROM drive 8X DVD-ROM drive
CD-RW drive 4 Maximize your PC with the ultimate multifunction CD
recorder.

Use CD-R and CD-RW media for recording or rewriting capability

Store up to 650 MB of data or up to 74 minutes of music

24X Max reading and 4X Max recording for creating CDs with maximum
performance and flexibility

Create CD-ROM discs quickly and easily with just!burn software
Compaq Internet keyboard Explore the Web with powerful tools for easy
Internet access - all with the touch of a button.

Instant Internet - Instant access to news and information

Instant Search - Your direct link to AltaVista TM for easy online
exploring

Instant e-mail - Quick, one-touch access for sending and receiving
e-mail

Online Marketplace - Better ideas for the most satisfying shopping
experience

Retail Central - An instant connection to your favorite computer store
and a variety of leading retailers

Community - Live events, discussion boards and unique content that can
make the World Wide Web seem like a smaller, friendlier community

My Presario - Your instant connection to Compaq for product
information, helpful hints, performance updates and more

Compaq Built-in Technician - Automated assistance over the Internet
Multimedia controls:

Play/Pause

Mute Button

Previous Track &

Quick Print Next Track

Sleep

Stop

Volume Up/Down

104-key Compaq Windows keyboard
More Choices for Online access Compare your choices and select the
right one for you:

Free Internet access with the purchase of a Compaq Presario Internet
PC

- 150 hour free trial from Compaq.NET

- Reliable, national coverage with local dial-up numbers across the
country

- Pricing for unlimited access starting at just $11.99 per month with
no startup fee

- 100 hour free trial from AOL - Free unlimited Internet access from
NetZero paid for by advertisers
Creativity Action Center 7 Two USB ports and one game port
conveniently located on the front of the PC provide a quick and easy
connection for USB cameras, scanners and gamepads
Graphics Integrated 2X AGP 3D Graphics

Integrated 64-bit hardware-accelerated 3D graphics

Full-motion MPEG video playback

Maximum non-interlaced resolution of up to 1600 x 1200 (when supported
by monitor)
Compaq audio ESS Solo PCI Audio

Aureal A3D TM 360 Positional Sound

FM Synthesis
Compaq multimedia Audio CD Player

Video Player (AVI, MPEG and others)
Power supply Steady-state 145 watts

Energy Star Compliant
Diskette drive 3.5-inch, 1.44 MB diskette drive
Mouse Internet scroll mouse
Expansion slots (four total) One PCI slot with modem installed

Three PCI slots open for expansion
Expansion bays (seven total) 3.5-inch, 1.44 MB diskette drive

Hard drive

CD-ROM drive

CD-RW drive

Three drive bays open for expansion
I/O interfaces Four USB ports (2 front, 2 back)

Serial RS-232C compatible, DB9 connector (16550)

Parallel EPP/ECP standard centronics-compatible interface (DB25
connector)

Joystick/MIDI/Gamepad compatible game port (front-accessible)

Two RJ-11 phone jacks (1 input, 1 output)

Audio ports (line-in, line-out and microphone-in)

Mouse and keyboard ports

Monitor connection (VGA)
Compatibility/Compliance Plug-and-Play

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)

Year 2000 (Y2K) Hardware Compliant

- This product was developed for compliance with the Compaq Year 2000
Readiness Program
Compaq Extra Mile Service and Support The best approach to customer
service, delivered just the way you want it.

1-year U.S. Limited Warranty : 1 year parts, 1 year carry-in labor and
1 year on-site.

Technical support: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Compaq remote support Allows a Compaq technician to connect to your
PC and resolve technical difficulties over the phone.
Compaq service connection Free PC tune-ups performed automatically
over the Web.
Software preinstalled software just!burn

McAfee Virus Scan

Microsoft Money 99

Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

Microsoft Windows 98 Starts Here