Seagate buys Maxtor

Old January 3rd 06, 06:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Seagate buys Maxtor

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:46:47 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Curious George wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Stupid George wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Stupid George wrote
Stupid George wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Some are here to contribute useful
information to those who ask questions.

A drug-crazed delusion if you count yourself as one of them.

And anyone who thinks they're here _ONLY_ to teach, and
that one never learns while teaching, is either a liar or an
insecure pompous ass who knows much less than they think.

Didnt ever use the word ONLY at all,
you pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist.

And I am always happy to admit that I have indeed learnt a
lot, particularly how stupid some terminal bone heads can be.

Then I must give you a lot of credit. It's a sign of great
personal growth to have learnt so much from yourself.

Pathetic, really.

Don't be so hard on yourself

Pathetic, really.

Poor Roddie. You shouldn't beat yourself up so much.
Old January 3rd 06, 06:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:47:41 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Curious George wrote
Rod Speed wrote

(Are you happy now "Curious George"?)

Unlikely that an obsessive drunk would ever be happy.

So that's why you're always in such a foul mood!

Old January 3rd 06, 10:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Rod Speed wrote:

Nick wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:

Nothing illegal about buying out a competitor when there are
competitors still remaining after that buyout.

The market share mustn't be too large, at least in Europe.

Europe is completely irrelevant.

Right.

You should definitely tell that to General Electric and Honeywell.

They'll be thrilled.
Old January 3rd 06, 10:59 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Grumble wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Nick wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Nothing illegal about buying out a competitor when
there are competitors still remaining after that buyout.

The market share mustn't be too large, at least in Europe.

Europe is completely irrelevant.

Right.

Fraid so.

You should definitely tell that to General Electric and Honeywell.

Irrelevant to the Maxtor buyout being discussed.

They'll be thrilled.

Wota ******.

Old January 4th 06, 07:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...
tony wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tony wrote
YKhan wrote

Seagate gets Maxtor - vnunet.com
http://www.vnunet.com/crn/news/21478...te-gets-maxtor

Storage vendor Seagate has entered into an agreement to aquire
rival vendor Maxtor in an all stock transaction. The agreement has been unanimously approved by the boards of
directors of both
companies and is valued at around $1.9bn. Bill Watkins, Seagate
chief executive, said in a statement: "Seagate is excited about the opportunity to achieve greater scale, reduce
supply chain costs,
and leverage combined R&D efforts across a broader product set.
With the increased scale of the combined company, we can reduce
overall product costs and provide more innovative products at more
competitive prices. We believe this is a strategic combination
that will provide value for our shareholders as well as benefits
for our customers." Seagate's executive management team will
continue to serve in their current roles. The combined company will retain the Seagate name.
Channel plans for the combined company have yet to be announced.

Hopefully the Seagate drives will acquire the superior acoustics
and acoustic management capability of the Maxtor drives!

Unlikely given the legal reason for the problem Seagate has with AAM.

(Are you happy now "Curious George"?)

Unlikely that an obsessive drunk would ever be happy.

(And hopefully they'll last as long, stay quiet long term and run as cool too. hehe).

The Seagate 7200.7s already last a lot longer than the same era Maxtor DiamondMaxs.

I'll take your word for it.

You dont have to, that's what the storagereview reliability survey shows.

I still won't buy one though.

Me neither, I prefer Samsungs instead, even quieter than the
Maxtors, let alone the Seagates, and run cooler than the 7200.7s

Do you know whether the AAM settings of the Samsungs are adjustable and
whether Samsung provides a utility to make the adjustment?

Tony

Old January 4th 06, 08:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

[...]

Yes they are.

and whether Samsung provides a utility to make the adjustment?

Yes they do, tho you can use any of the utes that allow the AAM setting to be
changed too.

Old January 5th 06, 02:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...
[...]

Cool! Now I know which drives I'm gonna try in my next PC (probably in an
Intel Matrix RAID configuration).

Tony