Seagate buys Maxtor

Old December 21st 05, 04:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Seagate buys Maxtor

Seagate gets Maxtor - vnunet.com
http://www.vnunet.com/crn/news/21478...te-gets-maxtor

Storage vendor Seagate has entered into an agreement to aquire rival vendor Maxtor in an all stock transaction. The agreement has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies and is valued at around $1.9bn.
Bill Watkins, Seagate chief executive, said in a statement: "Seagate is excited about the opportunity to achieve greater scale, reduce supply chain costs, and leverage combined R&D efforts across a broader product set. With the increased scale of the combined company, we can reduce overall product costs and provide more innovative products at more competitive prices. We believe this is a strategic combination that will provide value for our shareholders as well as benefits for our customers."
Seagate's executive management team will continue to serve in their current roles. The combined company will retain the Seagate name. Channel plans for the combined company have yet to be announced.

Old December 21st 05, 06:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"YKhan" wrote:
Seagate gets Maxtor - vnunet.com
http://www.vnunet.com/crn/news/21478...te-gets-maxtor

Storage vendor Seagate has entered into an agreement to aquire rival vendor Maxtor in an all stock transaction....

Maxtor stock up 51% as of mid-day trading. Seagate up 2%.

*TimDaniels*

Old December 21st 05, 06:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Timothy Daniels wrote
YKhan wrote

Seagate gets Maxtor - vnunet.com
http://www.vnunet.com/crn/news/21478...te-gets-maxtor

Storage vendor Seagate has entered into an agreement to aquire rival vendor
Maxtor in an all stock transaction....

Maxtor stock up 51% as of mid-day trading.

Hardly surprising given they have been losing money for years.

Seagate up 2%.

Hardly surprising given that restricting consumer options should help their
bottom line.

Old December 21st 05, 07:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"YKhan" wrote in message oups.com...
Seagate gets Maxtor - vnunet.com
http://www.vnunet.com/crn/news/21478...te-gets-maxtor

Storage vendor Seagate has entered into an agreement to
aquire rival vendor Maxtor in an all stock transaction.

Argh, I hope that does not mean that the Maxtor line of drives:

will get the annoying noise that the Seagates have.
will have the acoustic management feature turned off like the Seagates.
will run as hot as the Seagates.
will fail as often as the Seagates.
will get louder and louder every year in use like the Seagates.

Knock on wood I guess and keep fingers crossed.

Tony

Old December 21st 05, 07:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

In article ,
says...

"YKhan" wrote in message oups.com...
Seagate gets Maxtor - vnunet.com
http://www.vnunet.com/crn/news/21478...te-gets-maxtor

Storage vendor Seagate has entered into an agreement to
aquire rival vendor Maxtor in an all stock transaction.

Argh, I hope that does not mean that the Maxtor line of drives:

will get the annoying noise that the Seagates have.
will have the acoustic management feature turned off like the Seagates.
will run as hot as the Seagates.
will fail as often as the Seagates.
will get louder and louder every year in use like the Seagates.

Will run as long as Seagates.

Knock on wood I guess and keep fingers crossed.

I always do that when I power on the system with the Maxtor drives.

--
Keith
Old December 21st 05, 09:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Never anonymous Bud" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:37:22 GMT, "tony" wrote:

Argh, I hope that does not mean that the Maxtor line of drives:

will get the annoying noise that the Seagates have.
will have the acoustic management feature turned off like the Seagates.
will run as hot as the Seagates.
will fail as often as the Seagates.
will get louder and louder every year in use like the Seagates.

Complete bull****,

Factual. I refer to 80GB SATA drives from both vendors. I evaluated
both Seagate and Maxtor and the above are what I noted. The
clinchers for choosing Maxtor over Seagate we

Seagates have annoying idle seek noise.
Seagate disables the acoustic management features.

The other stuff is empirical but noteworthy:

Couldn't keep my finger on a hot Seagate but could
with Maxtor.

I have replaced so many Seagates in Dell computers
and have heard so much whine from Seagates over
the years. Granted Seagate my have a bigger presence
but I've been running Maxtors for 3 or 4 years now and
they are still as quiet as when new (well at least I can't
hear them). Haven't had any Maxtors fail yet.

The first 2 issues were enough to not choose Seagate as
a vendor.

Tony

Old December 21st 05, 09:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage tony wrote:

"YKhan" wrote in message oups.com...
Seagate gets Maxtor - vnunet.com
http://www.vnunet.com/crn/news/21478...te-gets-maxtor

Storage vendor Seagate has entered into an agreement to
aquire rival vendor Maxtor in an all stock transaction.

Argh, I hope that does not mean that the Maxtor line of drives:

will get the annoying noise that the Seagates have.
will have the acoustic management feature turned off like the Seagates.
will run as hot as the Seagates.
will fail as often as the Seagates.
will get louder and louder every year in use like the Seagates.

I think you have it the wrong way round.

Arno

Old December 21st 05, 10:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

42°16'23.67"N 71°41'45.68"W

BOOM!
Old December 21st 05, 10:46 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Arno Wagner wrote:

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage tony wrote:

"YKhan" wrote in message oups.com...

Seagate gets Maxtor - vnunet.com
http://www.vnunet.com/crn/news/21478...te-gets-maxtor

Storage vendor Seagate has entered into an agreement to
aquire rival vendor Maxtor in an all stock transaction.

Argh, I hope that does not mean that the Maxtor line of drives:

will get the annoying noise that the Seagates have.
will have the acoustic management feature turned off like the Seagates.
will run as hot as the Seagates.
will fail as often as the Seagates.
will get louder and louder every year in use like the Seagates.

I think you have it the wrong way round.

Arno

I think they both make fine drives, with Seagate slightly in the lead
for quality, but also slightly more expensive.

Old December 22nd 05, 12:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

tony wrote:

"Never anonymous Bud" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:37:22 GMT, "tony" wrote:

Argh, I hope that does not mean that the Maxtor line of drives:

will get the annoying noise that the Seagates have.
will have the acoustic management feature turned off like the Seagates.
will run as hot as the Seagates.
will fail as often as the Seagates.
will get louder and louder every year in use like the Seagates.

Complete bull****,

Factual. I refer to 80GB SATA drives from both vendors. I evaluated
both Seagate and Maxtor and the above are what I noted.

How many of each did you evaluate and over what time period and in what
manner?

The
clinchers for choosing Maxtor over Seagate we

Seagates have annoying idle seek noise.
Seagate disables the acoustic management features.

If you investigate I believe that you will find that Seagate sets their SATA
drives on max performance and their PATA drives on min noise. They don't
"disable the acoustic management features", they just don't let you adjust
them. I doubt that any other drive vendor does these days either after the
Seagate lawsuit.

The other stuff is empirical but noteworthy:

Couldn't keep my finger on a hot Seagate but could
with Maxtor.

I have replaced so many Seagates in Dell computers

Perhaps instead of blaming Seagate you should find out what it is about
those Dell computers that is killing drives.

and have heard so much whine from Seagates over
the years.

Sure it's from the drives and not from the fans? None of my Seagates
"whine" other than the "cat's meow" recals that happen occasionally.

Granted Seagate my have a bigger presence
but I've been running Maxtors for 3 or 4 years now and
they are still as quiet as when new (well at least I can't
hear them). Haven't had any Maxtors fail yet.

The first 2 issues were enough to not choose Seagate as
a vendor.

Tony

--
--John