Compaq Computer Making Noise - Need Help!

Old November 19th 05, 07:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Computer Making Noise - Need Help!

My Compaq Presario 5000 Series is having it's first major hardware
problem since I got the thing five years ago.

A few days ago I booted it up in the morning and I heard a strange
noise. It did not stop. It was kind of a grinding noise. Like something
was stuck on. This was early in the morning and I was half asleep when I
turned it on. When the computer was booting up a message appeared,
something about the disk drive. Then it booted up windows. It booted up
just fine, but the noise did not stop.

I turned off and turned on the computer three or four times trying to
get this thing to stop making noise. After four boot ups it finally
stopped. Well, every time I have to restart my computer the noise starts
up.

I've put my ear to the noise and I think it is coming from the floppy
disk drive (I never use the thing.) I do not think it's coming from the
hard drive or DVD or CD drives. I've peeked inside the floppy drive door
but I do not see anything moving.

Now whenever I start the thing the noise starts up. What I do is shut
the computer down. Open the case up, then restart it while tapping on the
flopping drive inside the case. Even after doing this I still have turn the
computer off and on three our four times while tapping on the floppy drive
to get it to stop making that noise.

I stuck a floppy disk in the drive to see if it still worked. It kept
saying "insert a floppy disk in drive or close the disk door." I don't
think the floppy drive is working anymore.

Also, when I do boot up the floppy drive light does come on and goes off
like it's supposed to when booting up.

So, what should I do? Is there a way to turn off the power to the
floppy drive? Is there a way to get windows to stop turning the thing on?

Could this noise be coming from some place else? The fans are all
running fine. The noise is coming from an area that includes from top to
bottom - DVD drive, CD drive, Floppy drive, empty space, then down below
hard drive. Again, it sounds like the noise is coming from the floppy
drive.

I don't care about saving the floppy drive since I never use the thing.

What should I do?

Thanks!

P.S. I just had to reboot the computer again and a message came up on a
black screen before Windows came up saying "162 option not set" or something
like that.

Old November 19th 05, 07:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

"Von Fourche" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

More info: I just put a couple of dvds in the dvd drive and they will
not play. So now my floppy drive does not work and my dvd drive does not
work.

What could be going on? Could a software malfunction be causing my
floppy drive to make a noise like it is stuck on?

Old November 19th 05, 01:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Von Fourchewrote:
[...]

floppy drive to make a noise like it is stuck on?[/quote:8411d7514d]

Did you have any of the connectors to these drives out and put the
back in backwards? It's easy to do with a floppy

That said, take the side door off, I believe it really easy with your
case, the hard drive is standing up in the right front corner. Turn
her on and see what you see.

Make sure the processor fan and the power supply fan are both working.

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 February 3rd 05 01:27 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 27th 04 06:21 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM