Compaq Presario 5150 Help Needed

Old November 7th 05, 01:11 AM
pixelbrainz

Default Compaq Presario 5150 Help Needed

Hi. I could really use some advice from some folks familiar with Compaqs.

I have a Compaq Presario 5150 with a few problems. I got it from my
brother-in-law and it does not have any recovery disks. I just use it for a
few odds and ends and I have other machines as well.

This thing takes about three reboots to load it's video driver, otherwise
the only resolution available is 640 I've reloaded the sp8456 a coupla times
and no fix. This is setup for Rage LT PRO 2x. I think this is right, I
dunno maybe not

The PS-2 mouseport failed. Remove mouseport and re-install does not fix.
Serial and USB work OK

I would like to add a hard drive but the CMOS setting are not available.
F10 will get to a bios (sorta), but won't configure much. I gather there
should be a CMOS utility on the hard drive but I cand find it nor can I
download it from the Compaq/HP website.

If this is not resolvable, I guess I can live with it.

Anybody shed some light on this?

Many Thanks in Advance

Bob

Old November 11th 05, 03:12 PM
Quaoar

"pixelbrainz" wrote in message
[...]

The startup problem bring to mind the plague of bad capacitors in some
boards. You might take a quick look and see if there are bulging,
leaking caps on the board. If so, there is likely no solution except to
try another MB.

Old November 14th 05, 08:14 PM
Windoze

Hello

Compaq and HP restore CD's at this link...

http://www.compaqrepair.com/restore/index.html

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 May 29th 05 07:18 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 20th 04 01:05 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Casing needed for Compaq Presario Laptop Model: 17XL3 Aamir General Hardware 0 July 3rd 04 11:01 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 April 25th 04 10:45 PM