Presario - no one seems to know

Old July 22nd 05, 06:09 PM
Andrew

Default Presario - no one seems to know

In comp.sys.laptops QuestionAuthority wrote:
: After a thorough search on this problem I came to the conclusion
: that the touchpad lockups I have been experiencing no one knows
: the cause. Several causes are guessed at, but now one really seems
: to know, other than the obvious that compaq makes crap laptops.
: Mine's a 1610 Presario that can lock up randomly at any time, when
: the touchpad pointer is moved simultaneous with some other action.
: Can happen even when offline and little system resources being
: used. Using a generic PS/2 driver which supposedly is ok to use
: with touchpad. Did thorough virus checks, none identified. Anyone
: here know? Thanks.

I presume you have updated the BIOS to the latest version?

Here's a suggestion: try booting another operating system on the
computer and see how the touchpad works there. That might tell you
whether this is a software/driver problem or a hardware problem. If
the touchpad freezes up in a non-Windows OS, you know it's a hardware
issue.

If you have a CD burner and a fast internet connection, go he

http://www.ubuntulinux.org

and download the Ubuntu Live boot CD. This allows you to run Linux
without touching your Windows install on the hard drive. You boot
this on your computer and it loads Ubuntu (Debian) Linux running
entirely from CD, without touching your hard drive (it takes a bit to
load, so be patient). It should recognize the touchpad and
automatically install drivers (does for me). After you remove the CD
and re-boot, your computer will boot Windows again.

Andrew
--
---- Portland, Oregon, USA ----
---- http://www.bizave.com ---- Photo Albums and Portland Info

Old July 23rd 05, 01:44 AM
HH

"Using a generic PS/2 driver which supposedly is ok to use with touchpad."
Who told you this? You likely need the specific Synaptics touchpad driver
for your notebook and OS. What operating system is installed? The notebook
shipped with Win 98 and that Synaptics driver should work with 98 and winMe.

HH

"QuestionAuthority" wrote in
message .138...

Old July 23rd 05, 02:09 AM
Bob

Don't bother with the BIOS update it doesn't help. Installing and using the
default Win98 driver solves the problem.

Bob

Old July 23rd 05, 11:54 PM
QuestionAuthority

"Bob" wrote in news:qNgEe.45$in2.24@trndny05:

Don't bother with the BIOS update it doesn't help. Installing and
using the default Win98 driver solves the problem.

Are you referring to the synaptics latest driver package? Or one
specifically for win98. I am running win95 on this old laptop. Do you
have an executable name or version or url for the driver package? I
think I d/l the latest synaptic driver pkg. but it is such a HOG, I wish
for a better alternative. And it seems to me, if memory serves there
were alot of complaints even with the synaptic driver.

Bob

"HH" wrote in message
"Using a generic PS/2 driver which supposedly is ok to use with
touchpad." Who told you this? You likely need the specific Synaptics
touchpad driver for your notebook and OS. What operating system is
installed? The notebook shipped with Win 98 and that Synaptics driver
should work with 98 and winMe.

HH

"QuestionAuthority"
.138...

Old July 24th 05, 12:46 AM
Nicholas D Richards

In article . 138,
QuestionAuthority writes
"Bob" wrote in news:qNgEe.45$in2.24@trndny05:

Don't bother with the BIOS update it doesn't help. Installing and
using the default Win98 driver solves the problem.

Are you referring to the synaptics latest driver package? Or one
specifically for win98. I am running win95 on this old laptop. Do you
have an executable name or version or url for the driver package? I
think I d/l the latest synaptic driver pkg. but it is such a HOG, I wish
for a better alternative. And it seems to me, if memory serves there
were alot of complaints even with the synaptic driver.

Bob

There is a Synaptics Touchpad driver for Win95 for the Presario 1610 on
the HP site. Its URL is

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...l=softwareCate
gory&lc=en&product=95204&dest_page=softwareCategor y&cc=us&os=19

There are a lot more drivers for your machine at that location.

You can navigate there easily, from www.compaq.com
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
Old July 25th 05, 02:05 AM
Bob

The driver supplied all the updates DO NOT WORK. I also have this laptop
the only thing that works is to upgrade to Win98 and use the default driver.

Bob

"Harvey Google" wrote in message
4.57...
Think the OP's purpose was to determine the cause. No sense trying new
drivers until that has been determined to be the problem.

Nicholas D Richards wrote in
:

snip

There is a Synaptics Touchpad driver for Win95 for the Presario 1610
on the HP site. Its URL is

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?

dlc=en&tool=softwareCat

Old July 25th 05, 11:27 AM
HH

And just how does one determine if it is a driver issue WITHOUT changing
drivers???? Sheesh.

HH

Old August 10th 05, 07:53 AM
QuestionAuthority

I found the problem myself. It was none of the reasons given by
others in this thread. It was two auto load files from that ****
software company synaptics that did not deinstall properly and did
not show up on a regular process listing. I had to use hijack this
to find them. ****ing **** crap software companies. Synaptics is
garbage. Also when I tried to use their driver package availble
from another **** company compuke, it crashed my system and I had
to go into safe mode to remove their garbage. It is amazing people
continue to use the products from outfits like this. I am stuck
with this compuke laptop cuz I'm too stubborn to let all it's bugs
defeat me. But it is a piece of junk and to think someone paid
over 3 grand for this garbage product when new-previous owner gave
me the receipts. I bought this piece of crap 5-6 years ago for 500
bucks and I kick myself for spending that much on this piece of
junk with it's **** software and useless restore disk.

on 22 Jul 2005, QuestionAuthority
wrote in
.138:

Old August 10th 05, 11:29 AM
Tom Scales

Let me understand, just out of curiosity. You insalled Synaptics drivers
from the wrong computer, and are unhappy that they caused problems on your
computer and blame the vendor.

If I put diesel fuel into by gasoline car, it is not the gas station's
problem.

Tom

Old August 10th 05, 05:23 PM
Darwin

[...]
Get some therapy and CHILL OUT. If you bought a notebook for $500 5-6 years ago, it was a steal (unless it was 5-6 years old at the time). Computers are tools and only as "good" as the people that use them. Grow up. PS After 5-6 years it doesn't owe you anything. Bite the bullet and buy a new (or new to you) one and stop dropping in here with your childish invective.