Compaq(HP) drivers no good

Old February 1st 07, 01:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
milton

Default Compaq(HP) drivers no good

A while back I posted about a buggy presario I was using, a 1610 to be
exact.

Problem was system would freeze each time u moved touchpad and pressed
key as same time, require hard reboot.

Despite my skepticism, everyone here was so sure the firmware/drivers at
the Compuke , now HP website would work. Well, I'm here to tell you my
skepticism was on target. I have had problems with synaptic drivers
before and this was no exception.

The drivers pretended to install and the little icons appeared, only
problem is the tap/select function would not work and the help screen
was frozen on my page requiring reboot. From previous experience this is
typical of synaptic stuff. Also, no way to uninstall them, had to do it
manually by editing the registry and using msconfig. More crap driver
software from synaptic. This is on win98se, so you cannot blame windows.
Also the read me files only referred to win95 problems even though the
driver is listed by compuke/hp as being for win98.

Finally got it uninstalled and let windows install the generic ps/2
driver. I think with the normal cursors I will be ok now.

How can such large companys turn out such crap software, ooohhhh....
wait... almost forgot about micro****-SHEEESH!

Won't touch the other stuff on the HP page now. Probably will turn the
laptop into a paperweight.

Searched but could not find a generic or other alternative to synap****.
If anyone knows of one, please be so kind as to provide a reference.

Thanks, in advance.

Old February 1st 07, 03:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
HH

What do you expect from a 10-year old notebook that originally shipped with
Win 95? Sheesh. Plus HP/Compaq provides no drivers for Win 98SE.

HH

Old February 1st 07, 04:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Ben Myers

Instead of ranting and raving, the OP could simply use the Windows 95 drivers
with Windows 98SE. There's a 99% chance they'll work, because very little
changed in the soft underbelly of Windows between 95 and 98SE. In fact, one
might consider Win98SE to be Windows 95 SP3, except that Microsoft had the nerve
to charge people for it, and people actually bought... Ben Myers

Old February 1st 07, 01:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
HH

Agree with the proviso that at least 98SE was the best of the Win 9x
versions, far superior than WinMe which was THE ripoff.

HH

Old February 2nd 07, 08:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
milton

Ben Myers wrote in
:

Instead of ranting and raving, the OP could simply use the Windows 95
drivers with Windows 98SE. There's a 99% chance they'll work,
because very little changed in the soft underbelly of Windows between
95 and 98SE. In fact, one might consider Win98SE to be Windows 95
SP3, except that Microsoft had the nerve to charge people for it, and
people actually bought... Ben Myers

Ah sorry, but do you have a reading problem? The crap "support" HP page
lists the synap**** drivers for being for win98, yet the readme files
make no mention of win98. This is just another example of compuke/HP
poor product support and just bad software programmers. They simply
cannot write decent software. Period, end of story.

My first computer, an xt was a compaq, but that was when they still made
good products. Ever since I bought this laptop used (pity the poor
sucker who paid 3 grand for it new) I will NEVER buy another compaq, NOR
another HP product again. Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame
on me.

The synap**** programmers (are they still in business) did not even
offer a way to uninstall their crap non-working drivers. Maybe they
formerly were windoze programmers, since both company's turn out crap.
Just got done watching the Pirates of Silicon Valley. Confirmed my own
conclusions that billy boy is just a con man marketing thief; that is
why we have the greatest percentage of computers running a crap OS. Who
says you have to be good to become rich?

And your wrong. Win95 is not the same as win98se, alot of stuff won't
run on 95 that runs on se, including, of course most usb devices.

Old February 2nd 07, 02:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Ben Myers

Gee, I'm so sorry I opened my mouth. You know so damned much. Go fix the
problem and quit complaining.

As far as Windows 95 and 98SE are concerned: Windows 95B and 95C have USB
support, if you bother to install a supplementary module. I never ever said
that Windows 95 could do everything that 98 does. Maybe YOU have the reading
problem? It's the other way around. You can take 95 drivers and use them
with 98. But why bother stating the obvious. You know it all already... Ben
Myers

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:05:51 +0100 (CET), milton wrote:

Ben Myers wrote in
: