How do I create Restore Disks from Preinstalled XP Presario 900

Old October 28th 06, 04:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
mike

Default How do I create Restore Disks from Preinstalled XP Presario 900

I bought a used Presario 906us lapotp with xp.
The i386 directory is there as are the application directories.
I need the disk space, so want to get rid of that stuff.
The compaq site says all I gotta do is execute the create disks program.

That's the part I don't have. It's not on the machine.

Is there another way to create restore disks?
Thanks, mike
Old October 28th 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

If your notebook has a CD or DVD-RW drive, do yourself a favor and purchase
NTI DriveBackup. It will create bootable CD or DVD restore discs.

Old October 29th 06, 03:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
mike

HH wrote:
If your notebook has a CD or DVD-RW drive, do yourself a favor and purchase
NTI DriveBackup. It will create bootable CD or DVD restore discs.

OK, I'm confused. If I understand the NTI site, NTI DriveBackup will
create disks that can restore my system to it's CURRENT state. Not what
I want, have lots of programs to do that.

What I want is a way to take the Microsoft i386 directory on the hard
drive and create a CD to REINSTALL XP to a VIRGIN state without losing
the oem features or creating activation issues. Then I wanna slipstream
SP2 into that.

The program exists, cause Compaq explains how to use it. Problem is
that it seems to delete itself once you make the disks...not helpful for
the second owner of the system.

I don't really understand it, but it appears that installing SP2 adds
400MB of redundant files plus another 400MB of backed up files. Clean
install doesn't do that, but creates activation issues if you don't have
the right version OEM install cd????

mike

Old November 10th 06, 04:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Hertz_Donut

"mike" wrote in message
I bought a used Presario 906us lapotp with xp.
The i386 directory is there as are the application directories.
I need the disk space, so want to get rid of that stuff.
The compaq site says all I gotta do is execute the create disks program.

That's the part I don't have. It's not on the machine.

Is there another way to create restore disks?
Thanks, mike

It under the System Tools tab.

You can also order a Restore CD set fro $15.50 from HP.

Bobby