My Compaq Floppy Drive is Screwing Up

Old November 18th 05, 08:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default My Compaq Floppy Drive is Screwing Up

My Compaq Presario 5000 Series is having it's first major hardware
problem since I got the thing five years ago.

A few days ago I booted it up in the morning and I heard a strange
noise. It did not stop. It was kind of a grinding noise. Like something
was stuck on. This was early in the morning and I was half asleep when I
turned it on. When the computer was booting up a message appeared,
something about the disk drive. Then it booted up windows. It booted up
just fine, but the noise did not stop.

I turned off and turned on the computer three or four times trying to
get this thing to stop making noise. After four boot ups it finally
stopped. Well, every time I have to restart my computer the noise starts
up.

I've put my ear to the noise and I think it is coming from the floppy
disk drive (I never use the thing.) I do not think it's coming from the
hard drive or DVD or CD drives. I've peeked inside the floppy drive door
but I do not see anything moving.

Now whenever I start the thing the noise starts up. What I do is shut
the computer down. Open the case up, then restart it while tapping on the
flopping drive inside the case. Even after doing this I still have turn the
computer off and on three our four times while tapping on the floppy drive
to get it to stop making that noise.

I stuck a floppy disk in the drive to see if it still worked. It kept
saying "insert a floppy disk in drive or close the disk door." I don't
think the floppy drive is working anymore.

Also, when I do boot up the floppy drive light does come on and goes off
like it's supposed to when booting up.

So, what should I do? Is there a way to turn off the power to the
floppy drive? Is there a way to get windows to stop turning the thing on?

Could this noise be coming from some place else? The fans are all
running fine. The noise is coming from an area that includes from top to
bottom - DVD drive, CD drive, Floppy drive, empty space, then down below
hard drive. Again, it sounds like the noise is coming from the floppy
drive.

I don't care about saving the floppy drive since I never use the thing.

What should I do?

Much Thanks!

Old November 19th 05, 06:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Probably the best thing to do is go into device manager and remove it from
your profile. Then open up the case of the computer and pull the cable from
the floppy off of the motherboard and the drive. You can leave the drive in
the case for cosmetic reasons, but at this point the drive is no longer part
of the computer.

You also might want to check your bios to make sure it doesn't check the
floppy drive on bootup.

--

"The human adventure is just beginning"

news