Presario 5020 questions

Old August 27th 05, 05:35 AM
Erik

Default Presario 5020 questions

Hi,

I was just given a Compaq Presario 5020 by a friend who wanted to clear
out his apartment. It's got everything it needs to work except memory,
and the case is a bit beat up.

I was thinking of doing a couple things (after getting memory, of
course): first getting a new case for it. It seems to have a mini atx
form factor, but I wanted to know if anyone came across any issues
moving it into another chassis. The second thing was that I was
wondering if there were any issues with switching out the motherboard
or processor. I really just want to change the case, but the last part
is me being curious.

Thanks,
Erik

Old August 27th 05, 07:16 AM
Erik

As for the CPU/motherboard issue, Wikipedia showed a picture of a Slot
1 motherboard that looks suspiciously similar to the Presario 5020 in
my possession. Looks like switching out the CPU or motherboard is not
an option, as Slot 1 type motherboards seem obsolete.

Erik

Old August 27th 05, 12:17 PM
Ben Myers

One of the Presario 5020 models shown on the HPaq web site has an AMD Duron
microATX motherboard. Not sure exactly which model you have there, but
apparently there are several Presario 5020's.

Any Compaq Presario system with a microATX motherboard can be reworked in
several ways. You can take the Compaq motheboard and put it in another case.
You can replace the Compaq motherboard. For most, the major problems to solve
have to do with front panel wiring. First, you have to figure out which leads
on the motherboard header go to the on-off switch, power LED and hard drive LED.
Next, to re-use a Compaq case with another board, you'll have to rewire the
front panel with wire leads, button and LEDs which do not have a single
integrated connector. (I keep a lot of this stuff around from systems I have
scrapped and parted out.) Finally, you may have to get another assembly to
provide front-panel USB and/or audio.

Unless you have a lot of parts kicking around and you are in love with the case,
a new case is inexpensive and less time consuming... Ben Myers

Old August 27th 05, 05:09 PM
Erik

Ben Myers wrote:
One of the Presario 5020 models shown on the HPaq web site has an AMD Duron
microATX motherboard. Not sure exactly which model you have there, but
apparently there are several Presario 5020's.

According to my friend, this 5020 is sporting a Celeron 200 or 300 mhz
processor, so I'm sure it has to be pretty old. Also, the motherboard
isn't micro-ATX size, which is 9.6" by 9.6". It seems to measure out
to approximately 8.x" by 10.x", which seems closer to mini-ATX
dimensions (at least according to the numbers on Wikipedia). I suspect
the best I can do is replace the chassis.

Thanks!
Erik

Old August 27th 05, 07:10 PM
Ben Myers

Yes, an old Slot 1 Celeron is barely worth the effort to fix up and use
nowadays.... Ben Myers