Can I upgrade from Win2K to XP on Compaq EVO D500 ?

Old July 2nd 05, 12:34 AM
Mark Wilson

Default Can I upgrade from Win2K to XP on Compaq EVO D500 ?

I was given a Compaq D500 desktop as a gift. I want to upgrade the OS from
Win2000 to Win XP pro or Home Ed. I do not have any of the original disks
that came with the machine. Can it be done easily? Can anyone give me any
pointers on how to do it on this machine?

I am going to try to load the XP on a new hard drive and will save the old
hard drive, in case I crash and burn. It has a pentium 4, 1.5 mhz processor.
I have upgraded the memory to 1 gig.

Thanks!

Mark

Old July 2nd 05, 12:52 AM
Ben Myers

If you do not have a Windows 2000 Pro install CD, you need to buy the "full"
Windows XP package, either Home or Pro. Installation is not too hard. I can
only anticipate that you will need to install some drivers for the motherboard
chipset (install first), graphics, network and audio.

Because the Compaq Evo D500 is a business class computer, HP's support is better
than for the cheap consumer-grade computers. You can find all the drivers on
the HP web site. Download them and burn them onto a CD BEFORE you start
installing XP... Ben Myers

Old July 2nd 05, 01:46 AM
HH

Try going here to download drivers for either XP Home or Pro for the D500:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...&lang=en&cc=us

HH

Old July 2nd 05, 08:01 AM
Mark Wilson

Thanks for the info. It is very helpful, but it has raised some more
questions. . .

Ques 1: I have a full version of both Win XP pro and home. Both are several
years old. I have loaded pro on another machine, but I have never loaded
the Home I have. Will the age of the Pro and Home I have or the fact of my

Ques 2: After I download and save the utilities to a CD, do I load them
using my existing hard drive and Win2000 or do I load them after I remove
the existing hard drive, but before I load the Pro or Home Ed. on the new
hard drive? I am just not sure of the timing of of the intermediate steps.

Thanks,

Mark

Old July 3rd 05, 03:18 AM
Ben Myers

Mark,

No problem with the "age" of the software. The newer shrink-wrapped XP Home and
Pro copies have SP2 applied, so you would need to update Windows after
installing. Of course, with tons of patches and security fixes from Microsoft,
you have to update anyway.

After downloading and burning all the drivers & utilities onto a CD, install XP,
then apply the drivers and utilities. The most important one is for network
access, without which you can't access the Windows Update web site.

.... Ben Myers

wrote:

I was given a Compaq D500 desktop as a gift. I want to upgrade the OS

from
Win2000 to Win XP pro or Home Ed. I do not have any of the original disks
that came with the machine. Can it be done easily? Can anyone give me any
pointers on how to do it on this machine?

I am going to try to load the XP on a new hard drive and will save the

old
hard drive, in case I crash and burn. It has a pentium 4, 1.5 mhz

processor.
I have upgraded the memory to 1 gig.

Thanks!

Mark

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 March 13th 05 01:52 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq FAQ ** NEW INFO** HH Compaq Computers 0 May 15th 04 11:56 AM
Cisco News Ya'll MemoryDealers General 0 April 21st 04 04:14 PM