Presario and Me and CD driver?

Old May 31st 05, 03:35 PM
MG

Default Presario and Me and CD driver?

Hi

Had to reinstall WinMe on my Presario 1200 but now the CD doesn't
show in devices??

I have tried all the possible Hard Disk Drivers, what do I need??

Thanks for any help

Mark
**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!

Old June 16th 05, 05:28 AM
Ben Myers

My best bet is that the motherboard chipset drivers are not part of the standard
Windows ME install CD. Without them, ME won't find the CD-ROM drive. You need
to determine which chipset is on the motherboard, download the drivers and
install them... Ben Myers

Old June 16th 05, 05:28 AM
pengulin

How do your hard disk CONTROLLERS appear in device manager? This is the most
likely issue given that you most likely installed ME with your Windows ME CD
(or Compaq restoration cd). A quick test to make sure the Drive itself is
still working is to try to boot from it using your Windows ME or restoration
cd (assuming that it is bootable).
If you have a splat on the secondary controller, or the secondary controller
doesn't show at all in device manager, that would clearly explain why your
drive doesn't show up in windows, when you know the drive is functioning
properly. This can happen when the hard disk controllers are not recognized
properly by windows and/or Windows does not install the proper driver for
your HD controllers. This usually occurs when your system board is newer
than the OS being installed, because the version of the OS (Windows ME) does
not yet have the proper drivers available for the controllers. It can also
occur if the HD controllers (on the system board) are somewhat obscure, in
which case even the newer versions of Windows will not have drivers
available. In either case, drivers would have to be obtained from the
manufacturer (Compaq).