Ok, Who's got the virus?

Old October 7th 03, 11:38 PM
George Macdonald

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:07:26 -0600, Rob Stow wrote:

George Macdonald wrote:

Given the takeover of e-mail by M$ "standards, I find that just a little
smug. I remarked in another post about their latest thrust here with
Winmail.dat. The Internet in general is being corrupted, taken over by
crooks (using mainly M$ tools) as we "speak" and damned little seems to be
being done to stem the rot. Someone here talked of TCP/MS recently and
it's a vividly descriptive term for where we're heading. When you consider
the number of times their "experts" have been laughed out of IETF committee
meetings it's kinda sad.

If an e-mail message does not fully contain within itself every
thing I need in order to get the information the sender wanted me
to get, then the sender is either incompetent or a spammer.

I don't much care if I miss out on things that idiots or spammers
send me.

Well I have friends who are computer illiterate, or near it and I just have
to live with that.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old October 9th 03, 05:48 AM
Tony Hill

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:38:14 GMT,
(George Macdonald) wrote:
On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:49:02 GMT, Tony Hill
wrote:
In Mozilla there is a setting of "Do Not Load Remote Images in Mail
and Newsgroup Messages" (in the Privacy - Images section) which will
prevent the use of tracking images.

Yeah I turn it on and off as I need - kinda like the pop-up thing which has
to be on for some services now... like bank sites. Annoying when I forget
to turn them back off again.:-)

Hehe, I've run into the same thing, though fortunately not often! My
advice, just add any frequently used ones to your list of domains that
are allowed to use pop-ups.

Any real legitimate messages send
with a link to a remote image will get messed up a bit too, but those
are pretty rare in my experience. Remote images are pretty much
exclusively a spammer thing.

I'm seeing more of the remote images in non-spam, e.g. in some of the
services, like photo posting sites.

I haven't encountered that yet, the photo-posting sites I've seen just
give me a link to the photo-host. Of course, I don't get those very
often, most of the time if I get a message it's actually sent along
with the e-mail.

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca

Virus email? Richard Dower Homebuilt PC's 5 November 13th 04 05:49 PM
"Microsoft email - virus Echuca Compaq Computers 1 October 18th 04 03:45 AM
Virus checker in Nero 6 Bun Mui Cdr 10 May 19th 04 01:02 PM
DVD-Rom firmware virus infected ? SLO Homebuilt PC's 0 January 3rd 04 02:47 AM
Virus Ron Cook General Hardware 2 October 17th 03 05:18 AM