Added "bonus"

Old May 28th 04, 04:12 AM
Herb Stein

"Roxanne" wrote in message
How does compaq justify Wild Tangent/ aka Spyware (among others) in their
products? Just wondering. Because this is just one reason I would not own
one. Or anything other hp product.

RX

That should certainly not be the only reason you would never own a Compaq.
Apparently you have never tried to fix a hardware problem with one. I have
2 Compaq macines in my shop right now. I will never take in another one
without money up front. By the time you fix them and charge appropriately
they aren't worth the repair cost.

--
Herb Stein

Old May 28th 04, 06:00 AM
Roxanne

"Herb Stein" wrote in message
news
"Roxanne" wrote in message
How does compaq justify Wild Tangent/ aka Spyware (among others) in their
products? Just wondering. Because this is just one reason I would not own
one. Or anything other hp product.

RX

That should certainly not be the only reason you would never own a Compaq.
Apparently you have never tried to fix a hardware problem with one. I have
2 Compaq macines in my shop right now. I will never take in another one
without money up front. By the time you fix them and charge appropriately
they aren't worth the repair cost.

--
Herb Stein

Oh yes I have, had three in our shop within the past week, the very
*last* three I will *ever* be aggravated with, he, he. I will never do
hardware on any of them again. And try to upgrade one. One "fun" time I had
with one was when someone ELSE had fdisked and formatted one and I needed to
get into the bios. The rompak did not work because there was "not enough
space to available on the hard drive for the diagnostics partition. Free up
at least 2 MBs of space at the beginning of the hard drive." At the
beginning of the drive? I finally made it through this with another
searched-for-hard utility... and that was my last compaq. Ever.

Old May 29th 04, 08:08 AM
Roxanne

"HH" wrote in message
Did you run a spyware detection utility BEFORE you connected to the Internet
the first time?
HH

I saw these files being installed from the recovery disks. I have dealt
with this with all of HP's products.

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner...nt/index.phtml

I uninstalled most of the games that involve the Wild Tangent driver.
These games were installed during setup, thirty-day "tryout" games. This is
blatant false advertisement of disk space. Another I see installed from the
Compaq disks (and too many other products) is BackWeb Client - though not
considered "so bad" by some, it also as its spyware abilities.

I have connected this machine to the internet to install remaining
Windows Updates just a short time ago *after* installing updates from my
customer's Security Update Cd from microsoft. After I installed and updated
an av program.

Before reinstall I found "bad block" errors in event viewer. After
runnning extensive hard disk tests, I discovered hard drive failure . On a
two-year old machine.

But the real kicker here was when I tried to delete the "Compaq Hot
Deals" icon. And lo, a dialogue window immediately popped up from the
antivirus program I installed; seems "trojan downloader.presario.A" had been
detected in C:\windows\system32\mscmtsrvc.exe.- haaa! Because I clicked on
this icon.

According to Compaq Support -
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bpb11751
seems "msCMTSrvc.exe is an application that was installed on the computer by
Compaq called the Content Monitoring Tool Service (CMTS). The Compaq Offer
Zone, displayed on the desktop as the Hot Deals icon, uses the CMTS to
update the computer when new merchandise is available for purchase by the
user. This application will not harm the computer: CMTS will attempt to
contact the Offer Zone every 10 minutes. If a firewall is installed on the
computer, this process may appear to be malicious. The firewall may warn the
user that the computer is under attack." Personally, I do not want *anyone*
else connecting to the internet every 10 minutes using up my bandwidth. The
consumer should not have to deal with these problems, especially after a
so-called clean install.

I have in sympathy to my customers quite often become quite angry with
HP/Compaq, whatever, with their misleading practices. This is very wrong. If
it didn't seem such a crime was being committed here to the consumer, I
would fall over laughing. but this time it is personal. This is my
brother's machine. I am dreading telling him the status of his hard drive.
And this machine has been maintained correctly.

I repeat. I would not own a Compaq or other hp product. But then,
custom is best always.

Roxanne

Old May 31st 04, 06:24 AM
Gamester

BackWeb Client - though not
considered "so bad" by some, it also as its spyware abilities.

When I did my first Spybot scan there was a pile BW tracking cookies. Before I
deleted them SB warned that I should read my TOS contract. BS-Delete!

Having that out of the way, I went to Add/remove programs. I couldn't remove BW
that way. OK. Windows Explorer-Delete.

Now whenever I boot up I get an error message pertaining to BW. I probably need
to edit the registry but I am not up to that.

This is not the path to customer satisfaction. Obvious to most but not to HP.
The Gamester

Homepage
http://members.aol.com/wergames
(I'm not a commie merely a Trotskyite revisionist)
Old May 31st 04, 11:43 AM
HH

That's why, instead of deleting a folder, it's wise to just rename it first,
then check if any issues arise. You then can restore the original name if
necessary....for future reference.
Oh, Backweb on many Compaqs is called the Compaq Service Connection and can
be uninstalled via Control Panel.
Did you try running the Immunize function in SpyBot S&D? That likely would
have stopped the Backweb cookies from reappearing.

HH

"Gamester" wrote in message
BackWeb Client - though not
considered "so bad" by some, it also as its spyware abilities.

When I did my first Spybot scan there was a pile BW tracking cookies.

Before I
deleted them SB warned that I should read my TOS contract. BS-Delete!

Having that out of the way, I went to Add/remove programs. I couldn't

remove BW
that way. OK. Windows Explorer-Delete.

Now whenever I boot up I get an error message pertaining to BW. I probably

need
to edit the registry but I am not up to that.

This is not the path to customer satisfaction. Obvious to most but not to

HP.
The Gamester

Homepage
http://members.aol.com/wergames
(I'm not a commie merely a Trotskyite revisionist)

A Dying Radeon 9800 pro , will they RMA ? Zalman fan added ? Andrew Fry Ati Videocards 15 January 4th 05 11:15 PM
Added new p5p800...and can't boot previous xp installation? Rob Larzelere Asus Motherboards 4 January 4th 05 03:09 PM
Added New HD Chuck General 15 December 30th 03 02:58 AM
P4C800 Deluxe, added 2 SATA drive, non-RAID - now slow shutdown NuQ Asus Motherboards 1 October 28th 03 04:39 AM
added pci modem JULIAN HALES Homebuilt PC's 4 October 25th 03 07:36 PM