Windows 7 oem vs retail

Old May 12th 10, 09:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Nate Edel

Default Windows 7 oem vs retail

MCheu wrote:
On 10/04/2010 12:02 AM, Robert Myers wrote:
There is actually at least one more difference and it's a pretty big
deal -- or at least, I expect it to become a big deal within a year.
With the OEM version, you have to choose whether to buy the 32 bit
version or 64 bit version. With the retail version, you get discs for
both 32-bit and 64 bit versions in the box, and the key works for both.

At least some OEM keys works for both on the OEM edition as well; on Vista I
could say for certain that all OEM keys work for both. And you can always
install an OEM version of the same edition (for Home Premium, Professional,
Ultimate) from a retail CD with a different number of bits what you bought.

The reason this is a big deal is that the 32 bit version has a 4GB
memory limit,

Under 4gb, actually; it'll report "4GB" and then give you something like
3.25gb actually usable - although the higher memory overhead of 64-bit makes
it something of a wash on a 4gb system, depending on what apps you run.

and doesn't support partitions above 2TB even with an EFI equipped
motherboard.

I believe that's only doesn't support /booting from/ partitions over 2TB;
I'm pretty sure that it can still access them.

That makes buying OEM win7-32 less of a deal right now. It costs about
$100 retail for either version of OEM windows7 Home Premium. The
retail version costs $200 for the Home Premium.

You can, however, buy Win7-64 bit as an OEM copy right now, although not as
many vendors stock it. For that matter, moving from 32 to 64 bit on the
same machine should be within license even for an OEM copy, although it will
likely involve talking to a live person when you reactivate.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
preferred email |
Old May 13th 10, 01:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Lee Waun

"willbill" wrote in message
Windows 7 oem vs retail

Can the less expensive oem version be
installed by a DIY person like me?

I'm interested in the 64 bit Pro version of Win 7
due to it's lower cost; recently $140 from Newegg

Is a separately purchased key or something else
like that needed?

I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.

Bill

I have the oem win7 64 bit os installed on this duo core machine and it runs
perfectly as long as I was able to get the drivers. It comes with a product
key which you use and are supposed to stick on the case of the computer. I
keep it locked away as things are always being spilled around here.

CPU Retail / OWM Des Homebuilt PC's 6 January 11th 08 01:03 AM
OEM vs Retail XP Pro jeh Homebuilt PC's 320 May 9th 05 09:33 AM
Windows 'XP Home Full retail, cheapest price? Gordon Walker UK Computer Vendors 2 November 17th 03 11:31 AM
retail HSF or not? scl Overclocking AMD Processors 6 September 20th 03 03:36 AM
Retail box or OEM Paul the D Homebuilt PC's 6 August 31st 03 10:32 PM