Random Reboots with blue screen of death

Old March 8th 10, 09:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
dirtycurty

Default Random Reboots with blue screen of death

Hello,
This is my first post, I have a Gateway DX4831-01E that I Purchased
last week and was having issues with rebooting randomly and showing the
"blue screen" error message upon reboot. I took it back to Best Buy and
they gave me another one, stating that they thought it was a hardware
issue. I had quite a few things installed on that computer already that
were transferred from my old computer.

I got the new computer and this one has begun rebooting randomly on me.
I only had it working for about 3 hours before it started doing it
again. I can't imagine that there is two hardware failure issues in a
row with this machine...

Here are the only things that I have installed on the second computer:

-Itunes/quicktime for win 7 64-bit. I also imported all of my 4,000
songs from my last computer (I am no computer expert but I have a
feeling that one of the song files might be causing this due to the
some of the songs being downloaded as torrents in the "old days")

-Linksys program from a CD that makes it so I can use a USB wireless
card to get wireless internet on the computer. It is a 2.4GHZ wireless
G usb card from Comcast if that helps...

-A program, downloaded from the internet (I lost the CD) for my old
Lexmark Z605 Printer to make it compatible with this computer.

That is is...

Here is when it has crashed:

Listening to Itunes - twice
Watching a movie trailer which I downloaded from Apples website -
twice
watching a tv show on HULU.com

If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thank you.

--
dirtycurty
Old March 9th 10, 07:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Mark Hobley[_2_]

dirtycurty wrote:

I got the new computer and this one has begun rebooting randomly on me.
I only had it working for about 3 hours before it started doing it
again. I can't imagine that there is two hardware failure issues in a
row with this machine...

In the past I have seen bugs in Microsoft Windows that causes the machine to
crash, unless the system bios is updated.

Here is when it has crashed:

Listening to Itunes - twice
Watching a movie trailer which I downloaded from Apples website -
twice
watching a tv show on HULU.com

It is probably the sound driver that is crashing.

If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thank you.

Try booting the machine using an Ubuntu live cd. If this works ok, and the
computer does not crash, then the problem is not with the computer, but a
problem with the Microsoft Windows operating system.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/