52.10 nVidia beta drivers?

Old September 19th 03, 08:48 AM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

Default 52.10 nVidia beta drivers?

I just saw a score in AquaMark3's database that was using the 52.10 drivers
with an FX5900 Ultra. They appear to be a little bit slower than the 51.75s.
I wonder if it's because the graphics are better.

Anyone know where to get the 52.10s?

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

Old September 19th 03, 09:18 AM
Lenny

Anyone know where to get the 52.10s?

Why not wait for Nvidia to release an official WHQL certified set instead?

By the way, I heard M$ tightened up their specs for certification to put an
end to Nvidia's scummy, quack-like practices of substituting shaders and
fuzzing up image quality. Not sure if this is really true though, or (in
case one wants to be paranoid), if it means Nvidia will stop certifying
their drivers.

Old September 19th 03, 10:12 AM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

"Lenny" wrote in message

Anyone know where to get the 52.10s?

Why not wait for Nvidia to release an official WHQL certified set instead?

This is a newsgroup about cutting-edge issues relating to nVidia. Beta
drivers are downloaded, installed and then talked about here. Everybody
knows they are beta drivers. I want to test them to see if the graphics are
better than the 51.75's. After I've played with the drivers for awhile I
will probably go back to my stable 43.45s. Microsoft's stamp of approval
doesn't make a driver better.

By the way, I heard M$ tightened up their specs for certification to put

an
end to Nvidia's scummy, quack-like practices of substituting shaders and
fuzzing up image quality. Not sure if this is really true though, or (in
case one wants to be paranoid), if it means Nvidia will stop certifying
their drivers.

Microsoft isn't just making life more difficult for driver certification,
they are signing contracts with ATI. The next Xbox will be based on an ATI
chip.

http://www.betanews.com/article.php3?sid=1060907352

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---

Old September 19th 03, 01:46 PM
Lenny

I want to test them to see if the graphics are
better than the 51.75's. After I've played with the drivers for awhile I
will probably go back to my stable 43.45s.

So why bother at all then if you're not even planning on using them in a
long-term sense? Just seems like a lot of unneccessary extra work to me.

Microsoft's stamp of approval doesn't make a driver better.

Hopefully, with the more stringent demands, drivers will at least be more
*honest*.

Microsoft isn't just making life more difficult for driver certification,
they are signing contracts with ATI.

Yeah, so what? They already have contracts with Nvidia, did that stop them
being friendly with ATi? No. So why do you suggest the opposite's the case?
These paranoid delusions are only amusing for so long you know...

Get this, dude: M$ would have nothing to gain from making things difficult
for Nvidia, quite the opposite. They'd just risk another lawsuit based on
monopoly/abuse of market position claims or such, plus it would make future
business opportunities with Nvidia more difficult. No smart company is
forever the enemy of another, not if they can collaborate and make even more
money together.

Besides, Nvidia has long signalled they haven't been very interested in the
XB2 contract, this is neither news nor surprising such relly, not for those
keeping an eye on the console sector.

Old September 19th 03, 06:52 PM
Inglo

On 9/19/2003 5:46 AM Lenny befouled our nation with:

I want to test them to see if the graphics are
better than the 51.75's. After I've played with the drivers for awhile I
will probably go back to my stable 43.45s.

So why bother at all then if you're not even planning on using them in a
long-term sense? Just seems like a lot of unneccessary extra work to me.

It really doesn't take any work at all. When I see people saying to
wait for WHQL drivers, I have to question whether or not they've even
been the tiniest bit involved with tweaking and freaking computer
hardware. I know lots of people who shouldn't bother with beta
drivers. TMC is obviously someone who's interested in benchmarking and
testing various drivers, as are 90% of the rest of the people who post here.
And I haven't seen any 52.10s out there.

--

Steve [Inglo]

Old September 19th 03, 07:04 PM
tq96

Why not wait for Nvidia to release an official WHQL certified set
instead?

Do you know how long it is between official releases on the NVidia site?
By your logic, people experiencing the flicker problem should not download
and install 45.33, but instead wait and hope an official release will show
up at nvidia.com.
Old September 19th 03, 10:39 PM
Granulated

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:18:41 GMT "Lenny" meeped :

Anyone know where to get the 52.10s?

Why not wait for Nvidia to release an official WHQL certified set instead?

er...how long was it between the 41-09's and their successor ??? !!
Old September 19th 03, 10:41 PM
Granulated

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:52:57 GMT Inglo meeped :

I want to test them to see if the graphics are
better than the 51.75's. After I've played with the drivers for awhile I
will probably go back to my stable 43.45s.

So why bother at all then if you're not even planning on using them in a
long-term sense? Just seems like a lot of unneccessary extra work to me.

It really doesn't take any work at all. When I see people saying to
wait for WHQL drivers, I have to question whether or not they've even
been the tiniest bit involved with tweaking and freaking computer
hardware. I know lots of people who shouldn't bother with beta
drivers. TMC is obviously someone who's interested in benchmarking and
testing various drivers, as are 90% of the rest of the people who post here.
And I haven't seen any 52.10s out there.

i tried the 51-75's yesterday.

they prevented MOH-breakthrough from even booting up but gave me massive frame
rate improvements in Grand Prix 4 .. and i didnt notice any graphic quality
difference to the 45-23's
Old September 20th 03, 01:25 AM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

"Lenny" wrote in message

I want to test them to see if the graphics are
better than the 51.75's. After I've played with the drivers for awhile I
will probably go back to my stable 43.45s.

So why bother at all then if you're not even planning on using them in a
long-term sense? Just seems like a lot of unneccessary extra work to me.

Yeah, that's right, extra work. I said why I wanted to do it; pay
attention, there's going to be an exam later.

Microsoft's stamp of approval doesn't make a driver better.

Hopefully, with the more stringent demands, drivers will at least be more
*honest*.

Microsoft isn't just making life more difficult for driver

certification,
they are signing contracts with ATI.

Yeah, so what? They already have contracts with Nvidia, did that stop them
being friendly with ATi? No. So why do you suggest the opposite's the

case?
These paranoid delusions are only amusing for so long you know...

This comment makes no sense so I don't have a response. I do suggest you
have your blood pressure checked though.

Get this, dude: M$ would have nothing to gain from making things difficult
for Nvidia, quite the opposite. They'd just risk another lawsuit based on
monopoly/abuse of market position claims or such, plus it would make

future
business opportunities with Nvidia more difficult. No smart company is
forever the enemy of another, not if they can collaborate and make even

more
money together.

Besides, Nvidia has long signalled they haven't been very interested in

the
XB2 contract, this is neither news nor surprising such relly, not for

those
keeping an eye on the console sector.

More meaningless ramblings. What's wrong Lenny nobody around to talk to? LOL

The thread topic was the 52.10 nVidia beta drivers. If you know where to get
them, let me know.

I'll cut to the chase for you "dude-ette"; if you don't like drag racing
don't go to the drags.

Oh and BTW, conversation over. Bye.

TMC