2nd Hard Drive Needed for Boot

Old September 14th 04, 09:57 AM
Chris

Default 2nd Hard Drive Needed for Boot

Good Morning,
We had an operating system crash on a windows 2000
Pro computer. I needed to backup files from the hard
drive so I installed the hard drive in a second working
computer on the secondary IDE channel with CS on the drive
Basically I just removed the CD Rom and temporarilly put
in the hard drive. I was able to back the files fine but
this is where it gets funky. The hard drive that I
installed Temporarilly on the 2nd channel became the C:
drive and the drive that was in the computer already was
switched to D: So now when I remove the temp hard drive,
and try booting the pc, it loads the operating system then
it gets to the login screen, I type in credentials and it
accpepts them and continues the process, it even maps a
persistant drive mapping for the user but then the process
just hangs and after approx. 2 minutes time the login
screen re-appears. Its in a loop and it just keeps doing
this. However if I put the second hard drive back in the
system the computer boots right up, but again the second
hard drive is the C: and the original (System) drive is
D: I didnt manually change anything for this to happen.
Since it happened I have tried to change IDE Channels,
change from CS to slave, I tried making the first hard
drive the master etc. probably every conceivable setup but
it doesnt change anything. What I would like is for it to
Any help would be greatly appreciate i.e registry
settings, ntldr etc anything. thank you
..