200gb Maxtor Hard Drive Corrupted?

Old September 14th 04, 12:05 AM
Chris Bales

Default 200gb Maxtor Hard Drive Corrupted?

My 200gb Hard Drive has been acting up lately and anytime I even
access files on it through explorer, it freezes up my computer. I was
told that my harddisk may be corrupted, but I do not know what to do
about it. If at all humanly possible, I'd like to retrieve the data
on that hard drive because it is very important to me. Is this
something I could possibly do myself? Do I need to take this
someplace to have it taken care of? Should I call Maxtor? Can anyone
help?

Thanks so much,
Chris Bales
Old September 14th 04, 05:39 PM
Anonymous Jack

(outlaw) wrote ...
try defragging it. If when you are defragging in there is a lot of
unusable space. Then i bet that part of your hard drive is not working
right. The unusable spance i think is red.

Defragging is usually a good idea, but I wouldn't do it quite yet -
wait until after the data is pulled off. Defragging involves moving
big chunks of data around, and could take a while on a 200gb drive.

(Chris Bales) wrote in message . com...
My 200gb Hard Drive has been acting up lately and anytime I even
access files on it through explorer, it freezes up my computer. I was
told that my harddisk may be corrupted, but I do not know what to do
about it.

"Acting up" is pretty broad - what other symptoms do you have?
Do you have any problems accessing files through an application, like
MS Word?Any troubles booting up? If not, I'd suspect
virus/spyware/malware causing your computer to freeze, rather than
physical hard disk problems.

If at all humanly possible, I'd like to retrieve the data
on that hard drive because it is very important to me. Is this
something I could possibly do myself? Do I need to take this
someplace to have it taken care of? Should I call Maxtor? Can anyone
help?

Normal ways are to burn a CD/DVD, or install this drive as a slave in
another computer and pull the files off.

Depending on the size of your data files and your internet connection
speed, there may be other options.
Old September 25th 04, 07:37 PM
ScareCrowe

Just as a side note, I also have a 200G drive from Maxtor. It did same thing
of locking up system, and other stuff started to fail also. Turns out that
my power supply had enough juice to sustain it during idle but not enough to
run it and everything else. I added a second power supply and the problem
has never happened again. Not that this sounds like your problem, but you
never know........

om...