21" CRT for graphics AND programming

Old June 7th 04, 08:22 AM
M Berger

Default 21" CRT for graphics AND programming

Hello,

This is a long shot -- but I'm looking for people working in the area
of GRAPHICS SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT who may face the same problem I'm
having in terms of finding a good 21" CRT monitor that meets the
contrary needs of this work. The monitor must have rich, bright color
(for best displaying the graphics output of the software being
developed) but it must also have very sharp text (for 8+ hours of
coding per day). Unfortunately, from my experience so far, these two
qualities do not coexist in a monitor. Aperture grill
(trinitron/diamontron) monitors have great graphics quality but fuzzy
text, while shadow mask monitors have clear text but washed-out
colors.

I myself develop 3-D animation software. I've already tried two
professional quality AG monitors: the Viewsonic p220f and the
Cornerstone p1750. In both the text was so fuzzy I could not work --
both were shipped back. My video card by the way is an Nvidia quadro
fx 1100.

My experience with these two monitors has led me to think I really
need a shadow mask. I hooked up my computer to a friend's low-quality
shadow mask and saw how much sharper the text can be. I don't want to
sacrifice graphics quality, however...

Can anyone suggest a 21" monitor that provides the best balance of
image quality and text sharpness? What shadow mask monitor has the
best image quality? What AG monitor has the best text quality? What do
you use? I'm more interested in current models than discontinued ones
-- I don't want to buy refurbished.

Thanks in advance for your help. This is a frustrating problem and I
don't want to keep ordering monitors only to ship them back.

rabbitrun